Returning to diving - New equipment purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sixt3denied

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

So I am PADI open water diver. Did the usual vacation dives throughout the Caribbean. Then had kids and that was it with my diving hobby. So now I am just recently divorced. It's time to live for myself. My kids are pretty much grown up (both in College), the wife got the house, the car, the dog, even my big-screen TV and surround sound system! But she didn't get all of my Paycheck or my PADI certification card! So i'm planning on taking the plunge and going back into diving (which I loved). I have booked a solo one week trip to Key Largo Florida for the beginning of April. I'm scheduled for a refresher course next month at my LDS. I'm about to buy all new equipment -the best I can afford, for my week long Scuba vacation. So after combing the internet, I have stumbled upon a package from dolphinscuba.com . The package seems to have everything i'm looking for: Scubapro MK25/S600 regulator (i've read its one of the best) - Scubapro Knighthawk BCD with integrated AirII Octopus, Oceanic Pro Plus 2.1 dive computer with quick compass and quick disconnect. Asking price $1499.97. Scubapro MK25/S600 Pro Plus 2.1 SCUBA Package

Also looking at a mask, fin, snorkel package from scubatoys.com: Oceanic Vortex V-16 Split Fin, Oceanic UltraClear Pioneer Mask, Oceanic Ultra-Dry Snorkel Oceanic Ulta Dive Package discounts on sale Oceanic

And lastly Henderson Thermoprene 3mm Wetsuit.

I was back and forth on purchasing split fins. After reading a million reviews I figured i'll give them a shot. Worse comes to worse i'll buy a full fin in Key Largo if I dont like the split fins.

Any thoughts on the equipment above? I appreciate any feedback you guys have. I have been out of the loop for a while, but I'm going back in full throttle! Lol

I have scubapro MK17/G250V's. If you are planning todive locally might want to look into cold water Reg if your going to become a diver not just vacation dive other wise that will work. I also have 2 Atomics M1 which are fantastic regulators and my personal choice is to not buy scubapro since they took the parts for life program away unless you buy full set of gear.

Instead I would look into a HOG set-up it works every bit as good as the scubapro's/ other big name manufactures or better and it cost's about a 1/3 the price. I would get the HOG reg's and you would also get a good back-up, Then got the Hog Backplate wing BC, and Proplus is a solid computer and all this should save you around 4-500....

2 Great place's to go are:

Piranha Dive Mfg. call and speak with Randy and tell him what you want and he will work out a great deal for you he is located right in Delaware so could always make a worthwhile trip.

Or call Mike from www.Diverightinscuba.com either of these people will take care of you

I wouldn't! Buy, that is.

Well, okay, I'd purchase the stuff that is very personal - like a mask - and rent everything else at the dive op. If you're diving for a week, try different types of gear as the week goes on (like split fins & paddle fins).

Come back, think about it, then purchase before your next trip. You'll have far less buyer's remorse.

All the best, James

You should not have to spend that much $$$ for great gear. You are paying for the "S" and can find equal performance at much less cost.

What happened to your old gear? I retired my S600/Mk20 in favor of much older Mk5/109.

The witch got the DOG?? She is evil.....
If taking a refresher at your LDS why not get the gear there? If it is about price show them the prices you got and see if they can match.Be aware that some online dealers can sell for less than msrp ,especially for scubapro,as they are not in the USA but in Europe.The LDS can include the refresher in the cost of the gear and assist with choices.They can also include some odds/ends that you may need to sweeten the deal.
This is what we do here in Yonkers NY at our facility when people use our onsite heated pool.

Any thoughts on the equipment above? I appreciate any feedback you guys have. I have been out of the loop for a while, but I'm going back in full throttle! Lol
The Scubapro MK25/S600 and the KnightHawk w/AIR II are an excellent choice.

The problem with the SCUBA package is that you are not goinga to get Free Parts for Life ( FPFL ) on your Scubapro reg. and AIR II.

You can get a Scubapro package including a MK25/S600, KnightHawk w/AIR II and a Scubapro/Subgear dive computer for about the same price and receive FPFL!

Good Luck & Good Diving!

Most LDS in New York are cleaned out this time of year. They have to "order" everything. I would rather deal with someone that has everything in stock then place an order and hope it arrives before my trip.

As far as a22shady had responded regarding diving in cold water with the Scubapro reg- I thought the Scubapro MK25/S600 was fine for cold water diving. I do plan on doing the vast majority of my dives in tropical locations - but just in case I decide to dive locally - I figured the MK25/S600 would fit my needs in cold water too.

Yeah she got the dog too!! MY DOG!!! The whole divorce process is so tilted towards favoring the wife its ridiculous!

Anyway, I appreciate all the advice. Thanks all!

The Scubapro MK25/S600 works fine for 40+ degree water. If colder go with the Scubapro MK17/G250V.

The MK25/S600 has a reputation for freeflowing in cold water. I've had mine for five years and haven't encountered that, but if I were going to dive northeast quarries or do ice diving, I'd probably choose another reg, simply because freeflows under those conditions are not a minor problem. (Having to share gas with a buddy in extremely cold water can cause his reg to freeflow, too . . . )

I think the best advice you've gotten is from James. Take your time and make sure you are getting something you'll be happy with. You do not have to pay premium prices to get extremely good gear.

I have no plan to dive in water below 40 so the MK25/S600 is the reg i'm looking to purchase.

Back
Top Bottom