Returning to dive Big Island after 6+ years

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geoff w

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My wife and I haven't been to the Big Island for over 6 years, since we've spent a lot of vacations diving on Maui. Now we're going back to the Big Island at the end of the month, and I'm realizing things have changed. Dive Makai isn't really Dive Makai any more, and they are the ones we used to dive with all the time. Our last few Big Island trips were spent diving with Lisa and Kendra.

Any insightful recommendations for a dive operator besides all the ones earlier this year in other posts? If it helps, we always dive with Pauline at Mike Severns Diving on Maui and want to find a similar operator again on the Big Island. Pacific Rim seems to be a favorite here, and for the past few years I've been getting a bunch of emails from Kona Hanu, but can't find in my dive log where I dove with them. We dove with Jack's once a long time ago and weren't impressed.

I just got back from the big island about a month ago :) Where are you staying?
We did dives with Jacks Dive Locker and Kona Honu Divers. I've always loved jacks, but I know quite a few people who don't. It's obviously very commericialized and lots of newbie divers. I did the advanced 3 tank dive with them and our DM was FANTASTIC, I had 60min+ bottom time on every dive, the sites were great....all in all it was quite fun.
We also did 2 days with Hawaii Scuba Diving | Manta Ray Night Dives | Scuba Diving Packages | Kona Honu Divers They were pretty good. The Operation was great, gear setup, cleanup, etc. The DM's were nice but the sites were NOT varied...we did the same sites 2 days in a row and the other people on the boat said they had gone to the same site 6 times!!! Good operation, and It's worth a try.

I've never dove with them, but i've heard rave reviews from Scuba diving in Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii with Wanna Dive. Boat diving charters, classes, intro dives.

2 Other Cool things we did on the Big island...
1) the lava boat tour - Lava Tours to Hawaii Volcano Kilauea(808)966.4200
as you can see from the pictures on their website, this was INCREDIBLE!!! A long drive from Kona, but well worth it. Seeing the lav flow into the ocean...it was amazing!
2)Pelagic magic night dive.
This is only from Jack's Dive Locker, and it is unbelievably expensive. However, the dive was absolutely amazing and I'd highly reccomond it. Pricewise, ($175 for a one tank dive!!!!!!) I can't say if it was worth it, but the experience was unforgettable. More info is here -http://www.jacksdivinglocker.com/charters2/PelagicMagic.htm
you have to watch the video to understand.....
3) Manta ray night dive...have you done this before? It's incredible as well.

Have a fantastic trip!

I like the personal service that Bottom Time offers and so do some of my guests who have been here diving with me on Oahu recently:

Check em out..... though I think they have renamed to Kona Diving Company. Say Aloha to Kerry for us.

Kona Diving Company - Big Island Scuba Diving at its best. > Home

You've got several good operators on the Big Island. Unfortunately Dive Makai just closed. If you're looking for a operator that takes out smaller groups (6 passenger max), does pretty decent critter briefings, dives at a slow pace, tries to not repeat dive sites, and will stay down 70-90 minutes on a dive if you're good on air on the morning dives, check out my company (Wanna Dive) as an option. Our current least experienced crew member (that would be me) has been leading dives here since '99.

I will be shutting it down for vacation for a couple weeks starting the 4th of Novemeber, so I might not be available for you while you're here, but there are several good companies out there.

Kona's great diving!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. We're staying at the Four Seasons Hualalai (my wife is a Four Seasons kind of girl and the kama'aina rate isn't too bad). We're going to shore dive with friends in Puakao at the end of the road our first day (their last day of diving).

I got a very strong recommendation from a good friend in Maui for Pacific Rim, but will also check out Bottom Time/Kona Diving and Wanna Dive. I don't really consider us super advanced divers, but we're usually the best divers on most of the trips we take and on Maui typically get about 60-75 minutes bottom time each dive for two tank dives, ending because we're startng to get cold more than anything else. I started renting Nitrox so our computers don't send us up with half a tank on the second dive.

We haven't done the night manta dive, although that sounds really nice. I might even be able to drag my wife along for a night dive on that. We've done most of the tourist things, including helicopter with the doors off over the lava flows. This is supposed to be a relaxing vacation, so lots of diving, some golf and basic veg out.

Big Island Divers also offers the pelagic aka black water dive. You can do a two tank with them, starting with the manta dive and then head out for the black water dive afterwards. I think it's about $220 for this two tank. The black water dive is AMAZING.

While I live further north and definitely prefer the underwater topography up here in Kohala, I absolutely recommend Kona Diving Company and Big Island Divers for the Kona area. Nice boats, super accommodating crew and no 'cooler than thou' diver attitude.

Just did the Manta dive with Jack's. I recommend them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom