Returning to Cozumel in Feb. Any suggestions? All the Same?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately we in Montana aren't afforded the luxury of multiple flight schedules. Our only direct flights are SEA, MSP, SLC, and DEN. United will only sell a ticket to Cozumel if I book to leave and return on a Saturday. I tried, even calling to see about driving to another airport in Montana. Delta used to fly to Coz, but the flight left MSP before the inbound arrival from Montana, so we were never able to book that flight. My wife is a nurse, and while she gets a good amount of days off, she is not able to get a Saturday to Saturday for the next few months. with a 7 day break, we can get 5 days of diving in. If we were to book separate tickets and overnight somewhere on the outbound and inbound legs, we would only have 3 days in Cozumel. Hardly worth the time. Unfortunately it is either bag drag as usual, or skip the trip.

If it is still as bad on the ferry in February maybe we will change our plans and stay on Isla Mujeres instead. We have dove there once, and while not nearly as good as Cozumel, at least it is better than staring out the window at home.

United now flies to Cozumel 5 times a week.

Dave Dillehay

If I was flying into Cancun, I'd at least call these guys and see what they have, things are fluid here, not really set in stone - just seen a link to their Facebook page. Going from Cozumel to Cancun isn't terrible bad on the ferry - it's getting here that seems worse.

Flights Cancún

That's a little weird that the going back isn't as full as coming in. At some point, you would think it would equal out.

The flights are nice, but only on Mondays and Thursdays. I would gladly pay $200/rt to avoid the ferries at this point. Maybe when they get back to normal service, then I will consider the bag drag again.
Regular Flight Cozumel | Flights Cancun

United now flies to Cozumel 5 times a week.

Dave Dillehay

This is getting tedious. Try to book a flight from Great Falls MT to CZM on 4 Feb, returning on 10 Feb. It can't be done at this time.

This is getting tedious. Try to book a flight from Great Falls MT to CZM on 4 Feb, returning on 10 Feb. It can't be done at this time.

Not to beat a dead horse, but have you looked into flying into IAH, and then booking separate tickets to CZM from IAH? It might require an overnight stay, but the bag drag might be worse.

Not to beat a dead horse, but have you looked into flying into IAH, and then booking separate tickets to CZM from IAH? It might require an overnight stay, but the bag drag might be worse.

Agreed. I know you've already bought your tickets, but maybe you can move things around? That bag drag will absolutely expose you to more of the stuff you want to avoid - and add at least 4 hours in each direction (that's if the stars align just right).

Btw, we saw eagle rays on two days and several turtles and sleeping nurse sharks during our time there in December, but I didn't mention them because I guess they're 'normal' critters to me?

Just because he doesn't see his vacation as a humanitarian mission doesn't mean he isn't charitable or the dollars he will spend aren't helping the economy. Would you prefer he (and his dollars) stay home? Also, the activity he describes is a good way to significantly increase your exposure.
No, I would prefer that he go there and contribute to their economy and not complain if the people he encounters there show signs of their difficulties in dealing with the pandemic.

No, I would prefer that he go there and contribute to their economy and not complain if the people he encounters there show signs of their difficulties in dealing with the pandemic.

I don't think he or anyone else is going to model their behaviour around what you prefer. How much have you supported their economy in the past year?

I don't think he or anyone else is going to model their behaviour around what you prefer. How much have you supported their economy in the past year?
Yet another stupid argument I am not going to get sucked into.

Yet another stupid argument I am not going to get sucked into.

Don't play the victim here, you're the one who made an unnecessary and judgmental comment to him ("So, you want to visit a country which has been ravaged by the pandemic more severely than a lot of the rest of the world, but you don't want to be bothered by the people who live there because you need a vacation? Wow.") to start a stupid argument.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom