Retractor through gromet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divedadepths

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Since i wont be diving until spring break in april, i spend my days looking at my scuba gear, on sb, looking at scubatoys, etc. I have a $25 gift cert. to my lds and plan on getting a retractor for my SPG, and will probably get another one for acessories (light, slate, compass, etc.). I was thinking of a way to clear the chest area by getting rid of the bulk of the retractor. I thought of running the wire part of the retractor through a gromet on my bc, keeping the bulk of the retractor inside the bc pocket. Is this possible? Does anybody do it? Thanks so much!
Max

Man, I hate the bulk of do-dads etc.. so I can emphathize. One issue of retractors is not the retractor it's self, but the length of the connection. Just yesterday I was diving behind a guy who had a new Oceanic A/I computer on a retractor. It was hanging so far down it caught on a piece of coral and scratched the lense. It doesn't do much good if it hangs a foot down.

Whatever you use, try to arrange it in a way that it stays close to you. The grommet idea has some merit. Experiment. I'm using a new bp/wing setup and am still tweaking things. I just noticed for example that my octo hose was bowed out around the wing and a real snag hazard. So I have to scheme a new placement that suits me. If you are a cognizant diver, you'll be refining things forever. It's part of the fun.

Dennis

BuoyantC:
Man, I hate the bulk of do-dads etc.. so I can emphathize. One issue of retractors is not the retractor it's self, but the length of the connection.

Yea. That was one of the other reasons. If you have an octo, shears (mine are mounted on my left bc pocket), the retractor itself could definetly get tangled (and possibly prevent the octo from leaving it's clip in an OOA). and also the retractor through a grommet would definetly keep the gauge, etc. close. Thanks for your imput Dennis.

Max

My Sherwood Avid has a space in the shoulder strap for a retractor as well as an exit grommet. Yes it's possible.

pete

So it appears your idea will work. Another thought, however, is to move to wrist mount where possible, and add a pocket to your wet/drysuit for your other tools. You may not need the retractors, then. I added a pocket to my wetsuit and LOVE IT.

CompuDude:
So it appears your idea will work. Another thought, however, is to move to wrist mount where possible, and add a pocket to your wet/drysuit for your other tools. You may not need the retractors, then. I added a pocket to my wetsuit and LOVE IT.

yea i was thinking of getting the dive rite thigh pocket to eleminate the need for the second retractor.
DRthighpocket.jpg

However, i would still need the first retractor for the spg, even if i switched to a wrist mount depth gage (defietly dont have the cash for a wireless wrist computer). Thanks for the sugestion.

divedadepths:
yea i was thinking of getting the dive rite thigh pocket to eleminate the need for the second retractor

Danger Will Robinson....

I got one of those and all of the web ends on the back were hot knife trimmed with lots of sharp raspy edges. I didn't take notice until it made a few snags in the facing of my wetsuit.

If you get one check for the finishing of the webbed ends. DR didn't respond to my complaint so I stitched a smooth sheet of vinyl to the back as a protectatnt. I did fnd the Velcro closure to ambiguous.

Other than that it's a nifty product.

Pete

divedadepths:
yea i was thinking of getting the dive rite thigh pocket to eleminate the need for the second retractor.

However, i would still need the first retractor for the spg, even if i switched to a wrist mount depth gage (defietly dont have the cash for a wireless wrist computer). Thanks for the sugestion.
Those pockets are ok... I have one in my dive bag, where it lives after using it on about 10 dives and getting tired of hassling with connecting one more d$%* thing everytime I want to go dive. I'll sell mine to you cheap if you want it. :)

Attached pockets are better, and don't cost much more. The less hassle you have, the more likely you are to use it. And there's less likelihood of losing something sewn on vs. clipped on (ok, not likely to lose the DR pocket, but still).

divedadepths:
DRthighpocket.jpg

I've used a DR thigh-pocket. A better choice is pockets on your suit.

I've used a retractor on an SPG with the body of the retractor inside the BC (only the quick-release clip protruding). It made it significantly less dangly.

Back
Top Bottom