Retractor through gromet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green_Manelishi:
I've used a DR thigh-pocket. A better choice is pockets on your suit.

Yea i would agree with that but i dive both in the carolinas, upstate NY, and the caribean so i dont have my own suit.

CompuDude:
Those pockets are ok... I have one in my dive bag, where it lives after using it on about 10 dives and getting tired of hassling with connecting one more d$%* thing everytime I want to go dive. I'll sell mine to you cheap if you want it. :)

Attached pockets are better, and don't cost much more. The less hassle you have, the more likely you are to use it. And there's less likelihood of losing something sewn on vs. clipped on (ok, not likely to lose the DR pocket, but still).

What do u want for it??

I have an oceanic retractor... I took the casing apart (the end w/ the keyring) and ran the wire into one of the brass circles in my left pocket, then returned the wire to the casing and put the screw back in.

I have my SPG attacked to it, doesn't hang at all, and is about 2 1/2 to 3' long.

frankc420:
I have an oceanic retractor... I took the casing apart (the end w/ the keyring) and ran the wire into one of the brass circles in my left pocket, then returned the wire to the casing and put the screw back in.

I have my SPG attacked to it, doesn't hang at all, and is about 2 1/2 to 3' long.

Yea, i went to my lds today and picked up two retractors. The first thing i did when i got home was take apart that end (careful you dont lose the end!!) to make sure it wouldnt fit through a small grommet.

divedadepths:
Yea i would agree with that but i dive both in the carolinas, upstate NY, and the caribean so i dont have my own suit.

That would present a problem. The thigh pocket might migrate around on your leg unless you cinch it very tight and that's not good for circulation. Glue, or sew, a patch of inner tube to the side of the pocket that will be against the suit. It should help keep it in place. I did that with a DUI harness, like so:

duiw&tpocket.jpg

Green_Manelishi:
That would present a problem. The thigh pocket might migrate around on your leg unless you cinch it very tight and that's not good for circulation. Glue, or sew, a patch of inner tube to the side of the pocket that will be against the suit. It should help keep it in place. I did that with a DUI harness, like so:

http://www.green-manelishi.info/main/diving/images/duiw&tpocket.jpg

Great idea!! i think it has a loop on the top to run a weight belt through, but i dont use a weightbelt, so i was wondering how that was going to work. OK, this is a dumb question, where would i get some scrap innertube. I know that every diver should know this, but i never had to use it before. Maybe the hardware store?

I don't know if it needs to be big enough to be actual innertube, but spare innertube tires used for mountain bikes are only a couple of bucks at a bike shop (or Walmart). Make great rubber bands if you cut a section out, or open a chunk length-wise to get a bigger flat piece.

I'm curious to hear about a commonly-available source for the bigger innertubes, too, however, as I know tech divers use them to rig stage bottles.

divedadepths:
Great idea!! i think it has a loop on the top to run a weight belt through, but i dont use a weightbelt, so i was wondering how that was going to work. OK, this is a dumb question, where would i get some scrap innertube. I know that every diver should know this, but i never had to use it before. Maybe the hardware store?

Yes, it does have a loop at the top and if you can't secure the top I fear it's not going to work very well. My suggestion is to use a weight-less weight-belt, or scads of duct-tape, just to hold it in place.

re: the tubing .. I would not pay for a new tube if you are planning on cutting it up.

I called garages, bike shops, etc. in my area until I found what I was seeking. The piece you see is, I think, from a motorcycle or small tractor tire. You can drive around but it's better to call ahead so you don't waste your time.

divedadepths:
Since i wont be diving until spring break in april, i spend my days looking at my scuba gear, on sb, looking at scubatoys, etc. I have a $25 gift cert. to my lds and plan on getting a retractor for my SPG, and will probably get another one for acessories (light, slate, compass, etc.). I was thinking of a way to clear the chest area by getting rid of the bulk of the retractor. I thought of running the wire part of the retractor through a gromet on my bc, keeping the bulk of the retractor inside the bc pocket. Is this possible? Does anybody do it? Thanks so much!
Max

So you're going to have only your SPG on one wire retractor, and on another wire retractor you'll have a "light, slate, compass, etc." and you're concerned about the bulk of these tetractors? So when you pull out your compass, you'll also be getting a slate, light, and etc.? How will you use your light, and compass while checking your SPG? You need more retractors. Damn the bulk.

CompuDude:
I don't know if it needs to be big enough to be actual innertube, but spare innertube tires used for mountain bikes are only a couple of bucks at a bike shop.

Better than that, they are FREE at bike shops...

I simply ask them for one from the trash bin. Some poor soul just paid $10 to have his tire changed and the shop took the old one with the tiny little hole in it and tossed it.

My local shop now knows to save the really large ones from the fattest mountain bike tires for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom