Retractor through gromet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP:
Better than that, they are FREE at bike shops...

I simply ask them for one from the trash bin. Some poor soul just paid $10 to have his tire changed and the shop took the old one with the tiny little hole in it and tossed it.

My local shop now knows to save the really large ones from the fattest mountain bike tires for me.
Good idea, thanks!

One tube gives a LOT of rubber bands, so I'm still working on the two spares I had from my long-since stolen (and never replaced) mountain bike. I paid the couple bucks, 6 years ago, because frankly I wanted the new, non-holey variety for my bike. :wink: Good tip, tho... when I finally finish going through the second spare tube (I'm still on the first one!) I have I'll pick up more at a bike shop. Now I just have to find a full-size inner tube source...

divedadepths:
Since i wont be diving until spring break in april, i spend my days looking at my scuba gear, on sb, looking at scubatoys, etc. I have a $25 gift cert. to my lds and plan on getting a retractor for my SPG, and will probably get another one for acessories (light, slate, compass, etc.). I was thinking of a way to clear the chest area by getting rid of the bulk of the retractor. I thought of running the wire part of the retractor through a gromet on my bc, keeping the bulk of the retractor inside the bc pocket. Is this possible? Does anybody do it? Thanks so much!
Max

Forget the retractor - in itself it adds length and clutter. Consider buying a simple stainless steel bolt snap and attaching it to the desired object. Then it's just a matter or making sure that you can attach and detach the snap from the desired D-ring or other attachment point. This simple solution will keep your gear snugly into your body and work for ever.

evad:
So you're going to have only your SPG on one wire retractor, and on another wire retractor you'll have a "light, slate, compass, etc." and you're concerned about the bulk of these tetractors? So when you pull out your compass, you'll also be getting a slate, light, and etc.? How will you use your light, and compass while checking your SPG? You need more retractors. Damn the bulk.

True, true. Maybe ill have two on the right side, or just get the DR pocket for some of the stuff.

divedadepths:
True, true. Maybe ill have two on the right side, or just get the DR pocket for some of the stuff.

Awesome dude. You'll look like that evil dude guy in "Spiderman."

Ok, I'm just ****ing with you. If one were to use a retractor, putting it in a pocket with the wire running through a grommet seems ingenious. I had a retractor on my console for a while, but I was never quite comfortable with it because it made me feel tethered, which in fact, I was. It was the opposite of feeling uncluttered, streamlined, and open. It was a little claustrophobic. Have you ever used a retractor? (Have you ever been married?) Have you considered a bolt snap on the SPG, compasss on the left wrist, and depth gauge and watch on the right wrist. If you clip the SPG to your left shoulder D-ring, you can just glance down and read it without pulling it out or even touching it. if you clip it to your waist, its nothing to un-clip and reclip it and you don't have that infernal wire tether to **** with. It's just way cleaner. Bolt snaps are cheaper than retractors and they don't eventually become useless.

evad:
Awesome dude. You'll look like that evil dude guy in "Spiderman."

Ok, I'm just ****ing with you. If one were to use a retractor, putting it in a pocket with the wire running through a grommet seems ingenious. I had a retractor on my console for a while, but I was never quite comfortable with it because it made me feel tethered, which in fact, I was. It was the opposite of feeling uncluttered, streamlined, and open. It was a little claustrophobic. Have you ever used a retractor? (Have you ever been married?) Have you considered a bolt snap on the SPG, compasss on the left wrist, and depth gauge and watch on the right wrist. If you clip the SPG to your left shoulder D-ring, you can just glance down and read it without pulling it out or even touching it. if you clip it to your waist, its nothing to un-clip and reclip it and you don't have that infernal wire tether to **** with. It's just way cleaner. Bolt snaps are cheaper than retractors and they don't eventually become useless.

Well, i definetly want a retractor on my spg b/c the integrated weight pouches block the view and i dont feel like clipping and unclipping 100 times per dive. However, i could probably go without a retractor on the light and other accessories, and go with the boltsnap for those things. Question, why does a retractor become useless after a while (spring gets shot?).

Because, I believe, you'll outgrow it.

divedadepths:
Well, i definetly want a retractor on my spg b/c the integrated weight pouches block the view and i dont feel like clipping and unclipping 100 times per dive. However, i could probably go without a retractor on the light and other accessories, and go with the boltsnap for those things. Question, why does a retractor become useless after a while (spring gets shot?).

Provided I understand your idea:

The thought occured to me that with the retractor in a pocket if anything fouls the retractor cord/cable you'll not easily be able to examine and correct the problem. Food for thought.

Green_Manelishi:
Provided I understand your idea:

The thought occured to me that with the retractor in a pocket if anything fouls the retractor cord/cable you'll not easily be able to examine and correct the problem. Food for thought.

Are you thinking inside the pocket or outside the pocket? I dont keep anything in my pockets because the combination of the integraded weight and the air blader make it almost impossible to get it out. And also as evad said, i do have shears and a knife.

divedadepths:
Question, why does a retractor become useless after a while (spring gets shot?).

Well think about it..... You have a device that is not unlike a window shade and it encased in a little box. You sumberge it in water, salty, silty what have you for an hour or so. In this box is a lelength of cord and all of the "whatever". The level of detail required to clean that thing out is way beyond what most divers will endure.

The one diver I know who is using one is meticulous in the care of his gear. One has been working well for him on his little daytime "look under the rock" light.

I have been using a 10 inch bunge of my shoulder with good results. If I am very close to the bottom I do need to tuck the console under a forearm to keep it right close but otherwise it hangs close enough and always handy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom