Resolved: VERY negative experience with Cristal Clear Char ters- Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hillary...please don't judge all operators in the Keys by Cristal Clear. Their management staff is in rotation....semi-constantly! Let's just say that some of "us" previous employees, left for good reason....and "Diver Time Out" for unjust cause is one. That being said....please don't judge the operation by 1 Captain--but you have a very valid reason NOT to dive with them again.

And yes, Cristal Clear is part of Cay Club--who bought Kellys On The Bay Dive Operation. They run out of Tavenier and the Pilot House in Key Largo.

Bill51:
It is the captain’s responsibility to make sure the manifest is accurate before he leaves port – period. He screwed up and tried to dump the blame on you.

I agree with Bill.

Scuba-Jay:
I think what she was saying is that the captain wouldn't let her dive anymore....nasty

If that's the case, I hope he gave her double her money back.

I've often wondered how one would enforce such a ruling.

Hilary, good to see you post, sorry to hear about your experience with that charter. I'll remember them and not use them in the future. I probably wouldn't anyway, I have my favorites down there. I would have dived, after you are on the manifest, however you got there, you are legally on the boat.

MsParamedic:
Hillary...please don't judge all operators in the Keys by Cristal Clear. Their management staff is in rotation....semi-constantly! Let's just say that some of "us" previous employees, left for good reason....and "Diver Time Out" for unjust cause is one. That being said....please don't judge the operation by 1 Captain--but you have a very valid reason NOT to dive with them again.

And yes, Cristal Clear is part of Cay Club--who bought Kellys On The Bay Dive Operation. They run out of Tavenier and the Pilot House in Key Largo.

http://www.cayclubs.com/resorts

As a Keys home owner and friend to quite a few of the "local" operations in the the Upper Keys area, Cay Clubs has a rapidly expanding portfolio of resorts, eaterys and water sports operations.

Some of these are good and some are bad. Places like the Pilot House outdoor bar have not changed a bit since the ownership change - they still are a locals (they should have their own AA chapter) hangout.

Their dive ops have lots of issues, although I have never actually been on one of their boats as I usually on go 6/8-packs in the Keys. If the weather is too rough for a small boat, I am staying on the dock, waiting for the weather to improve and deciding which tiki hut place to hang out at or heading over to the Key Largo Coffee house for some Internet time and a beverage.

Hilary,

I have to agree with Walter. The mistake re: the roll call was at least in part yours. You should have notified the DM on reboarding to see if a roll call had already been taken, especially since you noticed there was none taken after you reboarded. However, the crew should also have noted the appearance of a new diver (assuming there were not dozens of divers on board, in which case it might have been more difficult, but still their responsibility). The manifest should have listed you and they should have noticed your absence at roll call. "Blame" goes to both sides IMHO.

A roll call made after departure from the dock would eliminate this problem, but introduces another... a diver who has paid but is not already on board (as in your case). This gives the crew a chance to locate a "missing" diver if their manifests are drawn up in the shop (as ours are), or add a diver if they have been left off the manifest for some reason.

Yes, it is common practice to have a single release form on multiday trips (at least out here). However, we always do roll calls each day to verify divers haven't cancelled or perhaps (as in your case) not boarded.

HOWEVER, that said, IMHO from your account the captain appears to have acted like an *ss in chewing you out publically. Not a good way to win the hearts, minds and dollars of customers. He does not appear to have handled the situation very well and you certainly have every right to be upset about that!

drbill:
Hilary,

I have to agree with Walter. The mistake re: the roll call was at least in part yours. You should have notified the DM on reboarding to see if a roll call had already been taken, especially since you noticed there was none taken after you reboarded.

That's not what I said. Cristal Clear takes the names for their roll from their waivers. When she paid for the trip, it was their responsibility to make sure she filled out a waiver and put her on the roll. It is the operator's responsibilty to make sure waivers are completed. Often, operators don't conduct a roll call at the dock. All should, but most don't. If I don't hear a roll call at the dock, I don't assume I missed hearing it, I assume they didn't do one.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom