Resolved: VERY negative experience with Cristal Clear Char ters- Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Jay:
Since im a trouble maker (the nice kind) I had looked on the web to try and provide them (the charter company) with a link to the thread, so that they could respond (and thus spice things up, making my life just that tad bit more exciting) but thus far could not find a url....

Jay

hey, Jay....

want some spice....here you go

http://www.cristalclearwatersports.com/

this place is associated with several Cay Clubs Resorts and Marinas, including one in Key Largo. I can't swear that it's the same resort/charter as the original poster had a complaint about, but it sure sounds like it!!!:wink:

HOW BORED ARE YOU??

As I stated in post #7, the watersports manager for Cay Clubs is a very dear friend of mine. I emailed her, she's on vacation out of state but she's digging up the details from their side including Hilary's contact information so they can call her and finding who was at the helm and DM'ing that day so they can be interviewed.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=2558868&postcount=7

As with most stories, there's always three sides to them. Cay Clubs is a big company, very well financed and very customer oriented. They want repeat business and I have no doubt they will make every attempt to make this right.

I can't state they will post a reply here but Hilary will be contacted and I would expect that she'll let us know if they are able to make things right.

Ok...will try and hit the high points...don't want to be one of those posters that complains and then disappears. :D

Walter...he wouldn't let me dive. I was on the boat for the second dive. I didn't really assume I missed a roll call, or that one wasn't done. I guess I was distracted and didn't think of it. Lesson learned, most assuredly.

Daniel- I agree that the fact that was a woman probably made it easier for him to treat me that way. When I told my husband about it...he said the guy would have been tossed in the water and he (my husband) would have probably been in jail. So...where are the boys when you need them?? SIGH..... :blinking: A BBB notification will happen, I promise.

Intrepid- It certainly crossed my mind that if he handled my situation so poorly, I wonder how he'd handle a TRUE emergency? I've been on boats with incidents, and the captain's I've seen have been calm, organized, in control, and efficient. Not emotionally explosive, it's counterproductive.

Brent- I DID need a hug. Thanks. And the dive I got "grounded" on was the Benwood..I was gonna let the bow point the way to that darn drop-off! Next time....

And Scuba-Jay...the link K4Man posted is correct. I looked, hoping to identify the captain (other than what I've personally referred to him as... :11: ) for a the BBB, etc. So.... I'd welcome side 2 also.

And lastly...thanks for the support and feedback. I SHOULD have talked to the shop upon returning...I SHOULD have asked for some money back...I SHOULD have checked in with the DM when I got back on, I SHOULD have verified the procedure... etc etc. Hindsight is always 20/20. By the time I got back to shore, I was just upset, embarrassed, and wanted to go home. Which...I did...and all is better. I at least DID have a good 200th dive. And maybe learned something in the end.

we await Hilary's report on the resolution, then:D

I dive at Key Largo 3-4 times a year, and I've never seen that operation. I must admit though to having done the same thing (not signing in for a follow-on day of diving). But the operation I was with took care of me and got me on another companies boat going out at the same time.

Sorry you had such a bad experience. I hope you will be going back to Key Largo. oh, was it your 200th dive total or your 200th on the Speigel Grove?

Now that there has been a lot of negatives about a dive op, here is a positive one. I took my 9 year-old daughter on her first snorkeling trip on a boat out of Pompano Beach. She was nervous so I spoke to the captain about making this trip a very positive one for the kid. They were very nice and helped her out every way they could.

Now for the best part. I signed the waivers, checked in, and got settled on the boat. Just before we left the dock, the captain did ANOTHER head count. I was asked, "Where is your daughter?"

"She is in the head, changing," I replied.

"You are sure?"

"Yes. I am right here with her."

And another head count after the first location, and another before we returned.

The dive op business in S. Florida is very competitive. I am very careful about the boats I dive from, and will not return if I have a bad experience. There are too many other ops to try.

Hilary just a quick hi and a :hugs:

As I know you I will take your word and not dive with them. That said, I kinda like Capt Gary and Brenda anywhoozle :wink:

What a miserable experience. I hate to think about how you were made to feel, and how unpleasant the whole episode must have been for the others on the boat, including your friends. Anybody else say anything to you afterward while on board? I can not imagine having to sit out a dive and stay on the boat with that *SS. One of us would have been in the water. Just another reason to stay with Gary and Brent.

k4man:
hey, Jay....

want some spice....here you go

http://www.cristalclearwatersports.com/

this place is associated with several Cay Clubs Resorts and Marinas, including one in Key Largo. I can't swear that it's the same resort/charter as the original poster had a complaint about, but it sure sounds like it!!!:wink:

HOW BORED ARE YOU??

I shot them an email. Lets see if they respond....

divedude1962:
I dive at Key Largo 3-4 times a year, and I've never seen that operation. I must admit though to having done the same thing (not signing in for a follow-on day of diving). But the operation I was with took care of me and got me on another companies boat going out at the same time.

Sorry you had such a bad experience. I hope you will be going back to Key Largo. oh, was it your 200th dive total or your 200th on the Speigel Grove?
200th total. Maybe my 4th or 5th on the Grove.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom