Rescue Class October....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeguerrero

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

We need one more diver to join our rescue class for October. The days for the pool are set for Friday the 29th 8pm to 10pm San Jose or Santa Clara University pool. And then Sat 30th at the Break Water...

Kristina did you ever finish your class? If not we'd like you to join our team, we have three divers already including me and Vassili and another diver. You would make the fourth.

Anyone else want to complete rescue?

Thanks,

MG

Thanks for the offer, Mike.
Matt and I are doing Rescue 10/26, 10/28, 10/30, 10/31 through Diver Dan's.
Should be fun, 10/26 is my birthday, and the ocean day is Halloween.

Trying to steal my buddy Mike :D

Hi all,

We need one more diver to join our rescue class for October. The days for the pool are set for Friday the 29th 8pm to 10pm San Jose or Santa Clara University pool. And then Sat 30th at the Break Water...

Kristina did you ever finish your class? If not we'd like you to join our team, we have three divers already including me and Vassili and another diver. You would make the fourth.

Anyone else want to complete rescue?

Thanks,

MG

Thanks for the offer, Mike.
Matt and I are doing Rescue 10/26, 10/28, 10/30, 10/31 through Diver Dan's.
Should be fun, 10/26 is my birthday, and the ocean day is Halloween.

Wow, that's a long class. Is there a minimum # of days to complete a rescue course? I ask because Max and I are doing ours next month too, but our instructor said it can be done in one day since it's just the two of us.

Depending on the agency there may be a CPR/first aid certification class embedded in there somewhere. PADI Rescue Diver can be done (assuming you have the CPR cert) in one pool day and one ocean day.

For those of you on this thread taking a rescue class, could you describe who you are taking the class from?

I am taking the class thru diver dans, with Gar Wilson as the instructor. The first two days are 7-10 pm classroom days, the 30th is pool day and the 31st is ocean day. Cost is $125. Gar tells horrible jokes but is a first class instructor who loves to teach, just brings out the excitement in him.

The reason I ask this is that I know some of you use backplates, long hoses and even some are on doubles.

It seems to me that it makes sense to take the rescue class with your common buddies using the gear you are likely to use from an instructor who is familiar with your gear and your procedures. Things to consider from gear perspective:

- the diver might have a bungeed reg around his neck
- the diver might have a 5-7' long hose
- the diver might have a backplate that does not have quick release clips (if they do, they need to be rescued before they even enter the water :) )
- the diver might have a long hose
- the diver might have doubles that has a manifold.

Most of the concepts you will learn from a Rescue class will apply regardless of the gear your buddy is wearing but some of the concepts might be gear dependent. Things to keep in mind:
- getting an incapacitated diver out of a scubapro knighthawk might be a matter of unbuckling a few clips. Getting a diver out of a backplate has a several steps with a very specific sequence, especially if there is a long hose and a bungeed back up involved.
- the process for checking that all the valves on doubles are open is not necessarily known to an instructor who doesn't use doubles.
- out of gas diver seems like one of those scenarios that you need to be prepared for. That process is quite different on a long hose and actually quite different for you DIR types than it is for those who do it PADI style.

FWIW, I personally took Rescue with Joe and Delia. My entire class was in doubles.

Back
Top Bottom