Rescue Class October....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did rescue and was the only person in the class with a long hose, harness, etc. The most important thing is that people know how your equipment is configured. The harness is definitely harder to remove by hand but in a real life rescue situation I would just cut it off.

Btw, Ted's extremely analytical and socratic "Have you thought about these things" mindset is one of the things that makes him a fantastic resource and great buddy. Whenever he posts, I usually find myself thinking, "Huh, I should have been thinking about that!"

+1...

Uhm, thanks for the video, Mike. Am I going to need a snorkle? That seems to be a reoccurring theme through the scenes.

I took Rescue through a PADI shop where no one dove a long hose or backplate or knew anything about them at all. It WAS a bit of an issue -- I came home every night and called NW Grateful Diver to ask him questions that my instructors couldn't answer (which irritated him a little, since he had offered to do the class for us, but Peter wanted to do it with our local shop). However, I do think it's quite reasonable to do the class with a non-long-hose kind of shop, as long as someone there does know something about the equipment and how to manage it, because the majority of the divers we are all going to run across are not going to be diving the configuration we use.

Practicing air-sharing with a standard setup isn't bad; it might be someone with a standard setup who comes to your rescue at some point (although, IF you use it, the proactive training we get does make both incidents and the need to look to a stranger for assistance a bit less likely).

At any rate, a well-taught Rescue class is a good class, no matter what agency it comes through, and if there are specific issues that aren't addressed, you guys all have access to folks who can answer the questions.

[Joe Talavera was one of THE finest dive instructors I've had the good fortune to work with. He not only doesn't teach any more, he no longer dives . . . very, very sad.]

Kristina, I missed what agency you are getting your rescue cert from. About snorkle. If it's a PADI course then the 2010 Instructor Manual standards say you must *have* a snorkle as a part of your minimum gear requirement. I don't see anywhere where it spells out that you have to be wearing it, but my strong guess is that a PADI instructor would ask that you wear your snorkle during the rescue class.

Uhm, thanks for the video, Mike. Am I going to need a snorkle? That seems to be a reoccurring theme through the scenes.
Yes you need a snorkel for most any PADI class. You can stow it on your harness though instead of a backup light :D

So Saturday when I look like the guy in Mike's video bringing crap to the surface come rescue me, and make sure to have your snorkel. After all that was me on our last dive together remember? :rofl3: It was only 40lbs of lead.

But wait, Peter...I haven't had the rescue class yet! I'll have my snorkle in the car.
Amazing you were able to carry the freaking weight belt. Almost think you're 40 pounds underweighted, lol.
Who dives with 40 lbs. anyway?

But wait, Peter...I haven't had the rescue class yet! I'll have my snorkle in the car.
Amazing you were able to carry the freaking weight belt. Almost think you're 40 pounds underweighted, lol.
Who dives with 40 lbs. anyway?

When you dive doubles you're kinda used to diving overweighted :p

Back
Top Bottom