Rescue Class October....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snip--- out of gas diver seems like one of those scenarios that you need to be prepared for. That process is quite different on a long hose and actually quite different for you DIR types than it is for those who do it PADI style.---snip
Like beating him with the long hose for letting it get to that point?
I already tried to talk Don into teaching it, he deferred to Gar or Paul (the PADI instructors that do this all the time). The instructor has shown an interest in taking training from Don, but has not yet, he's curious about it and has asked questions and watched our pool session.
Matt and I will be doing it together, we will probably be the only UTD trained divers in the class, we're doomed anyway because of Matt's clippie things.
We aren't diving doubles, though we do have bp/w, long hoses, bungied backup.
I wasn't aware there was a way to take rescue DIR style other than thru UTD. Who are Joe and Delia? I haven't met them yet.
I would have preferred to take a rescue class within the training I am favoring, unfortunately when I bought the books and DVD I wasn't aware I had an option.
I'm sure I will be a safer diver having taken it, maybe not as safe as if I were trained with people with similar gear, however, I like Matt well enough to do whatever it takes to get him out of trouble.
Thank you for giving me something to think about, and discuss with the instructor. I hope that one of my doubles buddies will take the time to school me on how to handle a diver with doubles. To be honest, I know very very little about doubles and manifolds and have asked some questions, but could probably use a "Doubles 101" course, without me actually having to dive them.
PS: with doubles, I know how to pick them up, open the valves, close the valves and check for bubbles. That's about it.

snip--- out of gas diver seems like one of those scenarios that you need to be prepared for. That process is quite different on a long hose and actually quite different for you DIR types than it is for those who do it PADI style.---snip
Like beating him with the long hose for letting it get to that point?
I already tried to talk Don into teaching it, he deferred to Gar or Paul (the PADI instructors that do this all the time). The instructor has shown an interest in taking training from Don, but has not yet, he's curious about it and has asked questions and watched our pool session.
Matt and I will be doing it together, we will probably be the only UTD trained divers in the class, we're doomed anyway because of Matt's clippie things.
We aren't diving doubles, though we do have bp/w, long hoses, bungied backup.
I wasn't aware there was a way to take rescue DIR style other than thru UTD. Who are Joe and Delia? I haven't met them yet.
I would have preferred to take a rescue class within the training I am favoring, unfortunately when I bought the books and DVD I wasn't aware I had an option.
I'm sure I will be a safer diver having taken it, maybe not as safe as if I were trained with people with similar gear, however, I like Matt well enough to do whatever it takes to get him out of trouble.
Thank you for giving me something to think about, and discuss with the instructor. I hope that one of my doubles buddies will take the time to school me on how to handle a diver with doubles. To be honest, I know very very little about doubles and manifolds and have asked some questions, but could probably use a "Doubles 101" course, without me actually having to dive them.

The doubles stuff is really more for Mike G and some of the other doubles people to think about. If a doubles diver is diving with you (single tank diver) and for some reason needs to share your gas, then the dive is over. You will not need to fool around with his manifold since you have enough gas to get you and your buddy to the surface safely (remember, min gas). I guess the only time you might need to think about manifold related stuff is if you are on a surface swim and your buddy says, "I can't reach my valves, can you make sure they are on?" To which you would reply, "You are an idiot for getting in the water without doing a flow check." You would then thumb the dive and ask your buddy to buy lunch.

I think you might find that during your rescue class, you might have to adapt some of the concepts they are teaching to the gear and procedures that you normally follow. I expect that you will do this just fine but I did want to give you a heads up.

Joe and Delia were instructors that dove doubles, backplates, etc. Sadly, neither are actively teaching anymore.

Thanks Ted.
Other than an S-drill, can you think of anything rescue might make us do where our gear would be something to be considered in an emergency situation?
Towing a diver, for example, do we need to consider the long hose in any way, stow it differently? Drag him using it? OOoh...not a bad idea. stick his backup in his mouth, loop the long hose under his arms, drag him behind me :) Like a sled dog.
Can't see what can possibly go wrong there!

Thanks Ted.
Other than an S-drill, can you think of anything rescue might make us do where our gear would be something to be considered in an emergency situation?

If I'm not mistaken, one of the things that's taught in a typical rescue class is getting a(n unconscious) diver out of their rig. As Ted mentioned, in a jacket BC it's pretty straightforward. With a hog harness, the fastest or only practical way may very well entail severing the harness with a cutting implement. I don't expect a class would actually have you do that for real as practice, but it's one of the things that the instructor needs to know if he is going to teach you.

Btw, Ted's extremely analytical and socratic "Have you thought about these things" mindset is one of the things that makes him a fantastic resource and great buddy. Whenever he posts, I usually find myself thinking, "Huh, I should have been thinking about that!"

Thanks Ted.
Towing a diver, for example, do we need to consider the long hose in any way, stow it differently? Drag him using it? OOoh...not a bad idea. stick his backup in his mouth, loop the long hose under his arms, drag him behind me :) Like a sled dog.
Can't see what can possibly go wrong there!

I guess there are the proactive things - making sure that your buddy is squared away in his/her gear.
- hose routing
- proper stowage of equipment (lights, primary reg. BTW, primary reg is either in your mouth, in your buddy's mouth or clipped off on your d-ring, right?)
- proper pre-dive checks
- regular inspection of your buddy during the dive to make sure his/her gear is still properly stowed/deployed and no unusual things are happening
- oh, and of course, bringing the proper emergency/redundant equipment such as back up masks, SMB, etc.

Then there is the reactive - removing your buddy from his/her gear to facilitate a rescue.

What's great about some of the classes out there (Essentials, Fundies) is that they teach you a lot of the proactive stuff as part of the course. I think in Rescue, they will focus more on the reactive - what to do with a panicked diver and an unconscious diver. Hopefully you will have intervened before things get to this state but if you have to deal with either, it will be good to have practice in removing your buddy from the gear they usually use.

BTW, having a mixed bag of students in your class might turn out to be a benefit. You might want to pay particular attention to how you have to educate other students in class regarding your gear and how they are to help you out of your gear. Since you dive quite a bit with newer divers/divers not familiar with your style of gear, you might have to give this type of briefing on an ongoing basis.

If I'm not mistaken, one of the things that's taught in a typical rescue class is getting a(n unconscious) diver out of their rig. As Ted mentioned, in a jacket BC it's pretty straightforward. With a hog harness, the fastest or only practical way may very well entail severing the harness with a cutting implement. I don't expect a class would actually have you do that for real as practice, but it's one of the things that the instructor needs to know if he is going to teach you.

Btw, Ted's extremely analytical and socratic "Have you thought about these things" mindset is one of the things that makes him a fantastic resource and great buddy. Whenever he posts, I usually find myself thinking, "Huh, I should have been thinking about that!"

:blush:

So far i seen about 5 rescue presentations and classes from various instructors and schools BSAC, PADI, GUE. the best instructor i found was a Garreth from Wallins. You have to get used to his style, but he gives you real deal instructions without sugar coat, as he is instructing public safety guys as well. In short it comes down to how to help without being a next victim.

Wow,

My thread on Rescue took off while I was away. Ted, thanks for all the valuable insight on gear matching, makes good sense.

One of my classmates is signed up for Essentials with Don in Oct and has been wanting me do rescue with him.

Our class is out of Santa Clara at Aquatic Discovery. Our instructor is Raj Maniar whom in my opinion is one of the best, safest divers out there. I base this on the fact that he lives in the water and is diving almost every day.

Anyone with that much diving and care for other divers in my book is good enough to teach me the fundamentals of a rescue, of which is why I'm taking the class. I want to learn how to react and attend the injured or unconscious diver.

I know that there is much more to that, but I feel just the basics will get me in the right direction.

Our team is on rigs that Ted discussed; 7 ft hose, backplate, wings etc... This is all good food for thought...

MG

This is a great thread for long hosers to consider when taking rescue. I know I will make it a point to discuss my gear with anyone taking the class.
I do dive with newer divers all the time, I get ready with them, do a head to toe buddy check with them and a pre-dive check (SADDDDD) and discussing rock bottom and hand signals.
I've gotten a lot better at doing post-dive briefings.
I really wanted to take rescue because I dive with so many new people. Self-rescue is important to me due to the fact that I don't expect a whole lot of my newly certified buddy, I expect to be the leader and to know how to handle situations (like dodging jellies).
My plan is to get my son certified with his friend from school in November or December. Having a 15 year old newly certified diver, I definitely want a bit more education myself as it may be he and I as a buddy team for my trip to Curacao in February and I want to be better prepared.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom