Reports, Pictures and Videos: January 19th Meet & Greet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great fun meeting everyone. Thanks to Ron for directions to the Met fields and to Jim for livening things up. Also, thanks to Sara and Mark for schlepping the barbeque and feeding hungry divers.

Here are a few of my shots from Saturday. Sorry we never made it to Buzzards. I saw Erickson and Brad at Aquarius but by the time I gotten my air fill and we'd checked in and cleaned up it was too late, so we found some Mexican food, had a beer, went back to the room and collapsed.

Sorry I didn't get everyone's name for the photos.

monterey_jan_19 Photos

See my blog for more about Saturday.

Upwellings

Great fun meeting everyone. Thanks to Ron for directions to the Met fields and to Jim for livening things up. Also, thanks to Sara and Mark for schlepping the barbeque and feeding hungry divers.

Here are a few of my shots from Saturday. Sorry we never made it to Buzzards. I saw Erickson and Brad at Aquarius but by the time I gotten my air fill and we'd checked in and cleaned up it was too late, so we found some Mexican food, had a beer, went back to the room and collapsed.

Sorry I didn't get everyone's name for the photos.

monterey_jan_19 Photos

Great Pics Jeff! I'm glad you got some topside ones too. :D

HI Everybody!

It was nice to meet all of you. I was diving with Chris, Suzanne and Joel, we were parked along the wall with all of our stuff down there. I came up to greet everyone and shake hands but by the time we got all geared up, we were late for the exodus to the metridium field. We dove the wall first, Joel was getting wet for the first time after a couple years off diving. Then we did the metridiums second (they were pretty closed up).

The guys were up for a night dive but Suzanne and I decided the hot tub at Lone Oak sounded better than 51F water, I ended up there (and much warmer!!).

I missed you all for dinner, we went middle eastern food instead.
Sunday we dove Whaler's Cove at Pt lobos, vis not as great and more surgy than Saturday.

I forgot my newly serviced regulators at home (wah!) so I had to rent some, which of course did not fit my DIN tanks so I had to rent those, and an inflator hose, blah, blah, blah. Yes, I have a packing checklist,... I guess I will have to check it TWICE like Santa. Thank goodness I wasn't on a boat and could rent! whew.

Great photos everybody!!! I'm glad so many of us saw all those beautiful jellies!
Have a great week,

Gail

It was good meeting you Gail. I'm so sorry we were already gone when you got back up there! We were wondering where you guys went. Hopefully, we get a chance to do it again sometime.

I bet the hottub was really nice. I froze my *** off, so I think I may be sitting out night dives until I get my drysuit. :wink:

Wow,

I had a fantastic time diving and meeting all of you! A special thanks goes out to Sarah for organizing this special event and Michelle for taking me out on my first night dive.

I think the problem with the night diving is placing cold wet suits back on to your warm body. As I commenced the process into three layers of wet neoprene I quickly wrapped myself with a large sweatshirt and my idive coat and beenie.

This slowed down the cooling tremendoulsy as my body heated the inner layers of the suit within just 5 minutes my body was warm again. I dive Merino linning from head to toes and that wool wet or dry will heat up.

It's the surface intervals that are killer for me, removing the suit and then having your body wet and exposed is crazy. When we entered the water I kept asking Michelle and Sarah, will it be colder in that ocean and just like they said it was truly warmer in the water than out.

Even when Brad raced back for his weights and we floated on the surface I was not cold and we were on that surface for about 20 minutes. Once the dive kicked in it even got warmer and although I didn't see any ocotopi it was a fantastic experience.

It's literally amazing how much your lights can beam under these conditions. We had a large group of night divers, 7 in total and so there was a lot of lights and that probably scared away many of the night creatures.

I would love to get a drysuit in the future as soon as I drain the neoprene out of my wetsuit, then I can be warm like Michelle and Sarah want to be. :)

But come on ladys don't do the jump just yet because then you'll leave me behind in the cold :( Your suits still have a lot of neoprene left.

After seeing everyone with a strobe light except me, I should have one by March it's my B-day and I told my wife I'd like to get the Sealife 960D pro it just came out in 12/07 and has auto flash and got great reviews at the Dema.

I really love how all of you get beautiful pics and are trigger happy with the camera, especially Brad. I did nothing but video since my pictures well you know the deal without a strobe. With that being said here is a nice video I took of the Metridiums hope you enjoy.

View My Video

MG

P.S
Nathan I want your tank lights as you were like a x-mas try under the water very easy to find :)

Wow,

I had a fantastic time diving and meeting all of you! A special thanks goes out to Sarah for organizing this special event and Michelle for taking me out on my first night dive.

I think the problem with the night diving is placing cold wet suits back on to your warm body. As I commenced the process into three layers of wet neoprene I quickly wrapped myself with a large sweatshirt and my idive coat and beenie.

This slowed down the cooling tremendoulsy as my body heated the inner layers of the suit within just 5 minutes my body was warm again. I dive Merino linning from head to toes and that wool wet or dry will heat up.

It's the surface intervals that are killer for me, removing the suit and then having your body wet and exposed is crazy. When we entered the water I kept asking Michelle and Sarah, will it be colder in that ocean and just like they said it was truly warmer in the water than out.

Even when Brad raced back for his weights and we floated on the surface I was not cold and we were on that surface for about 20 minutes. Once the dive kicked in it even got warmer and although I didn't see any ocotopi it was a fantastic experience.

It's literally amazing how much your lights can beam under these conditions. We had a large group of night divers, 7 in total and so there was a lot of lights and that probably scared away many of the night creatures.

I would love to get a drysuit in the future as soon as I drain the neoprene out of my wetsuit, then I can be warm like Michelle and Sarah want to be. :)

But come on ladys don't do the jump just yet because then you'll leave me behind in the cold :( Your suits still have a lot of neoprene left.

After seeing everyone with a strobe light except me, I should have one by March it's my B-day and I told my wife I'd like to get the Sealife 960D pro it just came out in 12/07 and has auto flash and got great reviews at the Dema.

I really love how all of you get beautiful pics and are trigger happy with the camera, especially Brad. I did nothing but video since my pictures well you know the deal without a strobe. With that being said here is a nice video I took of the Metridiums hope you enjoy.

View My Video

MG

P.S
Nathan I want your tank lights as you were like a x-mas try under the water very easy to find :)

It was great meeting you as well Mike! I'm glad you enjoyed the night dive. I would have enjoyed it much better with a drysuit.
03.gif

Here is the pic I took of you...it looks just like your avatar. :)

Hope to dive with you again soon.

Attachments

• IMG_0008 copy.jpg
    IMG_0008 copy.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 43
It really was meeting up with all of you again. :) I will probably not see some of you again, so it was good to dive with you guys while I could. I love everyone's pictures. Hey, Michelle, why is Mike's face so red in that picture?

Michelle - your photos are awesome! I am going to have to pick your brain at some point as to use of the strobe and composition. Very nice!!

Good luck in Florida Brad. I may be in Vero Beach for a week or so in March. How far is that from you and/or good diving?

That's a good 8 hours from Destin. Destin is along the gulf coast near Pensacola. Vero Beach looks like it is about an hour and a half north of Palm Beach on the Atlantic side of Florida and several hours north of Miami. You actually look like you have a bunch of beach dives available to you there, according to Ned DeLoach's Diving Guide to Underwater Florida. :) I'll just list the beach dive sites in the book so you can look them up.

Monster Hole
El Capitana and McLarty Museum
Wabasso Beach
Indian River Shores
Tracking Station
Jaycee and Conn Way Beaches
Humiston Beach
Riomar Reef
Round Island
The Pines

Most of them look like their in 10-20 feet of water. In general, Florida is supposed to have good diving in many areas of the state.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom