Reply from Viking re: Oriskany ripoff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s:
so what kind of "outcome" do people think should come from this offense for the diver?
I wonder if a restraining order would be possible ... not sure how enforceable it would be, but perhaps if it were legally possible to seize any boat that would take him out there it might provide enough incentive to keep him off the ship.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

fire_diver:
LOL!!

This from you! that's too freaking hilarious :lol:

Oh PiFi if only you had a clue. :shakehead

FD

You might want to think about switching to decaf, lil shaver. :coffee: You seem very tense over the small things you don't understand.:mooner:

NWGratefulDiver:
I wonder if a restraining order would be possible ... not sure how enforceable it would be, but perhaps if it were legally possible to seize any boat that would take him out there it might provide enough incentive to keep him off the ship.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Who has jurisdiction?

Well, I'm sorry this thread of mine has so spiralled out of control. Suffice it to say most of what could be said, on both views, has been said.
I will add that in all of the wrecks I have dived worldwide, I have derived much pleasure from those "meaningless pieces of junk". I love it when I see everyday objects left behind. That old handset with bryzoans and sponges dangling from it brings the imagination alive. One wreck in PNG was sunk with a bicycle on the deck. It is still there. A useless piece of junk which is still fun to ride. It has been left by 30+ years of divers for all future divers to enjoy.
Junk? absolutely!
interesting and fun? absolutely!
Please, you plunderers, stay away from the wrecks I love to play with. Plunderers are, essentially, selfish. They take for themselves (for their livingroom) what others could enjoy for many years to come.
That's all.......

Allison Finch:
Please, you plunderers, stay away from the wrecks I love to play with. Plunderers are, essentially, selfish. They take for themselves (for their livingroom) what others could enjoy for many years to come.
That's all.......

Ok, so let's just agree to disagree. You call those that don't object to divers bringing back souvenirs of their exploits plunderers and vicious criminals, and in return we'll call those that call us that self-righteous parrots and demagogues. That way enough insults fly both ways to even things out.

An overwhelming majority of artifacts brought back by divers from the wrecks they visit took an awful lot of work to find and recover. A lot of research, training, experience, and downright expense getting to the wrecks. Wrecks that 99% of people will never dive in their life because they lack said training and experience, and will never seek it. And as for those wrecks that are within recreational limits - most of the artifacts recovered from various wrecks you would never even recognize for what they were while on the bottom. Just another piece of endless wreckage that you swim by. The effort that those divers put forth to recover, restore, preserve, and _share_ those artifacts should be commended, instead of being insulted. And yes, I said share. I've seen MANY divers going out of their way to share their finds with others at dive shows, stores, etc. They're letting many more see these pieces of history, where as they would disappear into oblivion never to be seen by ANYONE again. EVER. Instead, these artifacts live on to inspire and fascinate the next generation. Not bad for a plunderer...

Havent read all the responses in this thread, but after reading Viking's reply - I'd dive with them. He's obviously passionate enough about what he does to write a long, detailed answer and I actually agree with what he wrote.

He may not be a diplomat, but if I need mothering, my mum is there for that. I *like* crusty *******s that know what they are doing when it comes to diving.

Vandit

notabob:
An overwhelming majority of artifacts brought back by divers from the wrecks they visit took an awful lot of work to find and recover. A lot of research, training, experience, and downright expense getting to the wrecks. Wrecks that 99% of people will never dive in their life because they lack said training and experience, and will never seek it. And as for those wrecks that are within recreational limits - most of the artifacts recovered from various wrecks you would never even recognize for what they were while on the bottom. Just another piece of endless wreckage that you swim by. The effort that those divers put forth to recover, restore, preserve, and _share_ those artifacts should be commended, instead of being insulted. And yes, I said share. I've seen MANY divers going out of their way to share their finds with others at dive shows, stores, etc. They're letting many more see these pieces of history, where as they would disappear into oblivion never to be seen by ANYONE again. EVER. Instead, these artifacts live on to inspire and fascinate the next generation. Not bad for a plunderer...

NO! This thread is not about artifact collection in general, it is about the removal of items from what amount to a public park. We are very specifically addressing the THEFT of PUBLIC PROPERTY, not the well researched and painstaking recovery of items that would otherwise have gone unknown.

Parrot???? NAW! I thought of those words all by myself!

As THAL mentioned, I am not against artifact recovery in itself....I like archeological recoveries. Just the illegal taking of items from areas intended for heavy diving use.
Bye the way, "vicious criminals" were your words, not mine.
Legal recoveries I have less issue with. I just wish people would ask themselves "where is the geatest overall value? On my mantle or left for all to share?"
Visitors to wreck dive destinations (CHUUCK) could help answer that. It amazes me when I hear of people removing ordinance and momentos from there. Illegal? yes. Dangerous? yes. Sad? yes. I, for one, like seeing the clarinet still laying on the shelf in the cabin.
Hmmm silly me....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom