Reply from Viking re: Oriskany ripoff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish:
I can see your point but you might want to direct that caution to a few other posters in this thread,hey?

Have you been reading this thread? You will see me say this to more than you.

WilDive4Food:
agreed Dennis.. I'd much rather spend an entire dive looking at 10ft of a fascinating section of reef than a quick scan of 100's of feet of the same reef.

What I meant was, some people see a bunch of rusting metal and others see much more.

This thread has been most illuminating.

Those who know me are familiar with my far-flung analogies that may require a road map, but I am somehow reminded of a totally unrelated incident in the life of my elder sister.

She and her husband and two young daughters had just moved to a new state, and the soon found some the friends their age and with children about the same age. They quickly struck up a friendship and started to do some activities together.

One weekend they had a picnic at a beautiful local public park. They had a wonderful time. When it was time to go, my sister and brother-in-law were stunned when their new friends just got up and left, leaving all their picnic remnants scattered on the table and the surrounding grounds. After watching them walk away a minute, they called their own children over and began the process of cleaning up the area to leave it clean for the next picnickers. Their new friends turned, saw what they were doing, and just glared.

That led to an uncomfortable exchange and a complete end to the friendship.

My sister and brother-in-law had never in their lives met anyone--in their view--so utterly selfish and self-centered, someone who saw public lands as theirs to use and abuse, someone who did not give one d*mn about their fellow travellers on this planet.

Their former friends could not undertand the attitude of others--in their view--who did not see that the public lands were there for them to use as they wished. Other people left trash, why not they? If the next people didn't like the fact that they had to clean up before their picnic, well they could just leave their trash behind and make it even.

Those two attitudes could never find a common ground. No logic would have worked between them. Conversation was futile.

Perhaps it is time to put this thread to bed.

Just a question about the stuff on the O being just junk. Here is one of the posts of Mr. Sleppy who was the one who took the gauges. In his post you can see how excited he is about all the things he can salvage/liberate/take from the ship. I believe he described himself "like a kid in a candy store". I mean if he thought was just junk, why would he take it? If it was exciting for him to see all this stuff, I would guess that many other divers would enjoy seeing these things too.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/techdiver-SE/message/4436

Diver Dennis:
Just a question about the stuff on the O being just junk. Here is one of the posts of Mr. Sleppy who was the one who took the gauges. In his post you can see how excited he is about all the things he can salvage/liberate/take from the ship. I believe he described himself "like a kid in a candy store". I mean if he thought was just junk, why would he take it? If it was exciting for him to see all this stuff, I would guess that many other divers would enjoy seeing these things too.

Sounds like he's not content with just a few gauges ...

Mr. Sleppy:
The structure has alot of good easy penetration and there is cool stuff everywhere, not just in the structure but on the hanger deck, flight deck, etc. I mean like gauges,information signs & plaques,phones, desks and YES...HATCHES... I was like a kid in a candy store but this dive was for exploring so I didn't go prepared for recovery. I will next time.

"recovery" ... interesting term for theft ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Diver Dennis:

I really didn't want to add to this thread BUT after reading Sleppy's description of the loot I couldn't resist. I mean this guy doesn't have a clue and seems to be operating on the assumption that if the feds were going to just throw this stuff away then, hell, finders keepers I drive tri-mix!

It was also fun to note the reactions to his post from his correspondents.

And, finally, wasn't it interesting to hear the glee in his voice as he described all the good stuff that would keep a guy busy for years and years (paraphrasing)?:shakehead

Sea ya!

so what kind of "outcome" do people think should come from this offense for the diver?

• Fine? if so, how much?
  • Jail time? if so, how much?
  • jail + fine ?
  • community service?
  • community service + fine?
  • conviction as a misdemeanor or felony?

Interesting that if convicted as a felony, he can't vote in elections, can't be an elected official (run in elections), can't be employed many places, will have a trouble getting any job, can't own a gun, if he's a professional engineer then it will void his PE license. Most likely he'll even have trouble helping even a Scout troop.

What about the captain that allowed this to happen on his boat, though he was not directly releated?

This should show some interesting thoughts on the matter....

Small fine and a little community service if he pled out or whatever.

Fine for the captain.

I'm less bothered about it being illegal than I am about a dive boat captain being so complicit in allowing someone to rip pieces off such a freshly sunk wreck.

Soggy:
And no harm was done to you in the process, since you have no awareness of what you aren't going to see. No harm, no foul, no wrong done.

Once upon time, in a far, far away from reality magical land, there lived a person called Soggy. He traveled widely throughout this land, to see its many wonders near and far. He had accumulated a great deal of information and knowledge in his time. Then one day, there came a stranger into his land, said to have great magical powers. Some said he was a thief. He stole every square inch of land in Soggy's world, along with everything in it he had never seen before. With his great magical powers, he stole every thought that was remotely possible in Soggy's mind, that he had never thought of before. Then, just as he appeared one day, he was gone, having taken nothing form Soggy. He left Soggy's world intact for eternity. You'll never know what you don't know, he said as he dove away. Be glad I didn't come sooner into your world.

"And no harm was done to you in the process, since you have no awareness of what you aren't going to see. No harm, no foul, no wrong done." Soggy used to say when he had a future.

Back
Top Bottom