Replica Healthways Diaphragms

# of diaphragms I'd personally want:

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Breaking off from this thread:
Manufacturing/replication offer.

I'm outsourcing the reproduction of healthways 2nd stage diaphragms.

Done:
1. Found a few potential sources. Two selected in China willing to copy an original.
2. Discussed materials, capacity, rough costs, MOQ etc. Seems doable.

To do:
3. I need mail an original diaphragm (or provide a technical drawing) for accurate pricing.
4. Decide quantity. (Or choke on price and scrap the project)

Help needed:
1. Does anyone have a (preferably disposable) diaphragm I could purchase and have it shipped to China?
2. Trying to get a feel for the size of the vintage reg rebuilders and how many Healthways regs are out there waiting for parts. I personally only need 4 diaphragms.

Poll created for rough numbers, please speculate in the replies. I don't know if I should be manufacturing 10, 100 or 1000 even. (If cheap enough we can all buy 10 spares?)

My plan is once I have them produced, offer them at cost to the community. Preferably someone else would like a large quantity and can redistribute as they will. I'm not in much into mailing small packages.

Feedback of any kind welcome!
Cameron

1. Does anyone have a (preferably disposable) diaphragm I could purchase and have it shipped to China?

Cameron

I'll pull the diaphragm off of one of mine, and send it to you.
Getting married Saturday, then off to Cancun, so you'll have to wait 2 wks unless someone else beats me to it.

Rob

I'll pull the diaphragm off of one of mine, and send it to you.
Getting married Saturday, then off to Cancun, so you'll have to wait 2 wks unless someone else beats me to it.

Rob

Congratulations!

...and thank you. Considering how long parts have been scarce, a few weeks isn't a bad timeframe at all! ...unless someone else is eager. : )

Congratulations! But don't give away the diaphragm before the honeymoon.

Congratulations! But don't give away the diaphragm before the honeymoon.

Wrong diaphragm Couv. :)

There are 2 versions (that I am aware of) of the diaphragm, older rubber impregnated fabric ones and the later rubber ones. You def want to get an example of the rubber one to get as good a sample as you can. Depending on price, I would take 3 or 4. Maybe more if the price is right.

There are 2 versions (that I am aware of) of the diaphragm, older rubber impregnated fabric ones and the later rubber ones.

Herman, I'm working from memory, but I think that both of mine have only the fabric diaphragms. Was the shape different in the all-rubber model? If not, that may be all we have to work with.

(But thanks! I'll remember to leave it in place until things are consummated. On the other hand, wouldn't it be just as simple to have lots of little baby diaphragms running around, instead of going to China for them? You'll have to excuse me, I'm new to this kind of thing.)

(But thanks! I'll remember to leave it in place until things are consummated. On the other hand, wouldn't it be just as simple to have lots of little baby diaphragms running around, instead of going to China for them? You'll have to excuse me, I'm new to this kind of thing.)
Only on SB could a sinple question take such an unusual twist!

Congrats Robert! Hope you have a blast on your honeymoon.:cheers::marriage:

Just to clarify, you are referring to the second stage diaphragm such as those used in Healthways Scuba Star and Scubair regulators, correct? If so, I will take two.

Just to clarify, you are referring to the second stage diaphragm such as those used in Healthways Scuba Star and Scubair regulators, correct? If so, I will take two.

Great. Yes, that's the plan.

I'm going with they are identical? Anyone have both handy or know from experience? I have (in a box two countries away) four of the ScubaStar regs but haven't come across the Scuba Air recently.

I'm looking forward to seeing how duro 70 (first blush) silicone does in replacement of the 40 year stiffened fiber diaphragm. If we get it right, might be an even more decent breather!

Hopefully no one minds it isn't "period accurate" or something. I just like serviceable regs... Especially when my newer ones end up being needed by new divers who need an octo.

Cameron

There are 2 versions (that I am aware of) of the diaphragm, older rubber impregnated fabric ones and the later rubber ones. You def want to get an example of the rubber one to get as good a sample as you can. Depending on price, I would take 3 or 4. Maybe more if the price is right.

Pulled open another of my healthways regs between student pool dives and 45° OW tryouts, found rubber! Does this look right to send out to be cloned?
Cameron

Screenshot_2018-06-08-20-33-18-1.png

20180608_140726.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom