Replacing Uwatec Battery - What Kind of Oil?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UaVaj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My Uwatec Smart Z had died. Battery Indicator was at 74% when it croaked.

I have removed the two hex screw on the back and have removed the rear seal. I now have access to the battery. I will unsolder the battery out and resolder it back in. The li-ion battery will be purchase online.

Here is my question. It was originally oil filled. Anyone know what kind of oil it is? Oil that is non conductive and non corrosive.

My *guess* is that is mineral oil. Pure mineral oil doesn't conduct, but make sure there are no additives in it. Also, when you fill it and put the cover back on, be sure that you have it submerged so no air bubbles get into it.

That is my guess too. Mineral oil, but before I proceed. Hopefully someone here has the hard facts as to what the factory oil type "actually" is.

As for the tip. I kno. That is the only way to re seal without air bubbles.
Another tip for readers to plan to DIY uwatec battery change. Before diving. Make sure you parallel test it with another known working computer to make sure it operate properly especially correct depth reading.

Paraffin oil.

I read somewhere once after mine died that it's transformer oil. I would think mineral oil would work also.

Does the viscosity affect the accuracy of the computer? IDK...

You might check with Brass Anchor Scuba and see what they use: Dive Computer Battery

The Uwatec computers are filled with silicon oil, which is extremely hard to find.

Your best substitute is mineral oil. There is a chance that the mineral oil will:
- Eat through the plastic or o-rings
- Cause the pressure sensor to drift, creating inaccurate readings

But, you don't have many options.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

You can buy silicon oil from a Mares dealer, some of the older Mares 1st-stages use it in their cold-water-kits.

If you had sent it back to Uwatec and they couldn't repair it, they would have offered you a really sweet deal on whatever is current.

Unfortunately, now that you opened it, you're pretty much out of luck.

Also, even with the oil, I have no idea how you're going to refill and seal it. The oil needs to fill the entire case with no bubbles. It's what keeps the case from being distorted or crushed underwater and also helps prevent water infiltration.

flots.

Reactions: Jax
My Uwatec Smart Z had died. ......//............ It was originally oil filled. Anyone know what kind of oil it is? ................

My *guess* is that is mineral oil. ...........//........ Also, when you fill it and put the cover back on, be sure that you have it submerged so no air bubbles get into it.

Paraffin oil.

The Uwatec computers are filled with silicon oil, which is extremely hard to find.

Your best substitute is mineral oil. There is a chance that the mineral oil will:
- Eat through the plastic or o-rings
- Cause the pressure sensor to drift, creating inaccurate readings

But, you don't have many options.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

OK, finally a thread that is both interesting and useful. (and amazing as I actually understood knowone's post.)

I have two old Uwatec Smart Pro's. One (mine) "Error 7'ed" and was sent back to SP, repaired and sent back with full battery life. The turn-around time was astoundingly short. (See, :tongue: I can be nice to SP when they are nice to me.:D)

The other one, well, let's just say that the kid modified it into something that SP will never see. It too finally died. So I just now opened it up and drained about 30cc of liquid out of it. The liquid can be heated to where it ignites and it burns with a sooty flame and without any trace of white residue. A white residue would lead me to believe that it is a silicone based oil. Next I tested some paraffin oil, pretty much an indistinguishable performance.

knowone says paraffin oil. Wikipedia says paraffin oil is the same as mineral oil. Looks like everybody agrees.

So I'm going with this: Mineral oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Note the picture, this stuff is EASY to get.

Thanks, all!

Reactions: Jax

Back
Top Bottom