Replacing Uwatec Battery - What Kind of Oil?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To all the Uwatec kool-aid drunks - keep your useless comments to yourself.

The comments are only useless to you because you chose to pry open your computer first, and ask questions second. If you had asked before you did it, you could be the happy owner of something brand new and shiny, instead of the owner of computer that will last part-way though it's next dive.

You're not the first person to attempt this. The results are generally unsatisfactory because you lack the knowlege, equipment and parts to actually make the repaired unit both functional and water-tight.

For the rest of the readers, knowing that you can get a brand new computer right from the factory for close to half off is actually very useful.

while you are on a roll. perhap you want to share that such awesome trade in program (up to 40% discount) only applies if u buy the most expensive unit at retail price ($1999) and only applies if you are the first owner of the trade-in unit. everyone else is S-O-L.

as for taking it apart. 2 hex screw and the back comes off. The seal is simply a rubber backing ring that easily comes off. (only a fool would not be able to put this back together. hardest part is soldering the battery. if you can solder - you golden)

btw. i currently own a Galielo SOL and another working Z (uwatec makes good stuff - policies could use some fine tunning). one thing for sure - i do not drink the kool aid.

Also, even with the oil, I have no idea how you're going to refill and seal it

You submerge it during reassembly. As mentioned in post #2

while you are on a roll. perhap you want to share that such awesome trade in program (up to 40% discount) only applies if u buy the most expensive unit at retail price ($1999) and only applies if you are the first owner of the trade-in unit. everyone else is S-O-L.

as for taking it apart. 2 hex screw and the back comes off. The seal is simply a rubber backing ring that easily comes off. (only a fool would not be able to put this back together. hardest part is soldering the battery. if you can solder - you golden)

btw. i currently own a Galielo SOL and another working Z (uwatec makes good stuff - policies could use some fine tunning). one thing for sure - i do not drink the kool aid.

Not true! They offered me the discount on the two models they sold at the time - the Luna was not out yet.

Seems to me, you have drank more of the Kool-Aid than you want to acknowledge:
i currently own a Galielo SOL and another working Z

You also drank the "RUDE" Kool-Aid as I and others attempted to help you with your issue. I went out of my way searching for silicone oil for you and provided you with links. That, won't happen again - for you!

Uwatec is just another brand to choose from. If there was another brand out there that out feature and/or out performance Uwatec for my specific needs. I will change brand in a heart beat.
I do not drink that Uwatec kool-aid. Get over it.

Truth to be said - if that uwatec trade-in promo was all that. Perhap anyone looking for new uwatec should pickup an old/dead uwatec for almost nothing from craigslist/ebay so they can trade it in for 40% off a new uwatec.

Unfortunately, now that you opened it, you're pretty much out of luck.

I wouldn't be too sure of that -- Uwatec (ScubaPro) has shown me outstanding service for the past 12 years.

My question is, if it showed 74% why would you think its the battery? How could you read 74% if it was the battery, or was that what it was the last time you checked it?

Per my discussion with a Uwatec tech -- the batteries are made to last 5-7 years, but some will last longer. Once the batteries get old - like mine, it had sat in the store and then 3 more years when I was recalled - they will fail to a flat "Err" or just blank. In other words, not under stress, the battery reads fine, but once it is thrown into a computing environment, it drains dead quickly . . . if it is old.

The battery readings are notoriously innacurrate

Disagree . . . but I have only a small sample size - just six.

I am trying to get a hold of uwatec now for the same thing about my air x nitrox...loved that thing. just not wanting to shell out the bucks for a galileo :(

Ask them about a 2G, perhaps? Or a refurbished Smart Tec?

I love this thread.

Paraffin oil.

Understandable, worrisome.

Jak restartovat Aladina

Silicone oil comes from spray poke hole in can propellant flys away

Voilla

Much better.

engrish much?

Engrish finally proven as no match for knowone. Emile appears to be opening new frontiers...

..........For the rest of the readers, knowing that you can get a brand new computer right from the factory for close to half off is actually very useful.

Register and reap the benefits. Got mine back new for the price of shipping.

...........You also drank the "RUDE" Kool-Aid as I and others attempted to help you with your issue. I went out of my way searching for silicone oil for you and provided you with links. That, won't happen again - for you!

Here's hoping that it will. Please allow any of us to be the occasional bonehead. BTW: Thanks for the info! :thumb:

..........Per my discussion with a Uwatec tech -- the batteries are made to last 5-7 years, but some will last longer. Once the batteries get old - like mine, it had sat in the store and then 3 more years when I was recalled - they will fail to a flat "Err" or just blank. In other words, not under stress, the battery reads fine, but once it is thrown into a computing environment, it drains dead quickly . . . if it is old...............

SP does talk to customers, but the customer has to be Jax...:D

Press on.

If I recall correctly, some high performance brake fluids are 100% silicone oil. You might check your local auto parts store if that turns out to be what you need.

Reactions: Jax
Hit it on the head. DOT4 brake fluid is 100% silcone.

From one of many hits: SynLube DOT 5.1 Brake Fluid

Hit it on the head. DOT4 brake fluid is 100% silcone.

Ummm, No...

DOT 4 is not silicone. It is often a high performance synthetic that is compatible with DOT 3.

DOT 5 is silicone and is not compatible with other brake fluids.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom