Replacement wrist computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Nice Guy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking for a replacement to a very old vyyper. Although just coming out, is there any difference in the Tern and Perigrine, other than size?

Looking for a replacement to a very old vyyper. Although just coming out, is there any difference in the Tern and Perigrine, other than size?
Battery life is expected to be shorter on the Tern (20 hours) than the Peregrine (30 hours). Tern has a free dive mode, but the Peregrine does not. AMOLED screen on the Tern and 4 buttons. Otherwise, I’d expect they’ll be very similar.

As others have said, it's mainly a size difference, and the option to get air integration with the more expensive Tern model. The interface/functionality is nearly identical.

I have a Teric that I got a couple years ago, and if I were buying a computer today I'd strongly consider the Tern TX instead. I don't need all the technical functionality/modes, but like the form factor and Shearwater makes great stuff.

Size is the decider for me. I'm old with dying eyes. I've zero interest in watch style. It seems (?) watch style computers have more reliability issues (?).

If I was younger with functioning eyes who was travelling the world diving I guess I might consider watch style.

Perdix till I die. YMMV🙏🏻

The only issues I'm aware of with the Terics have been battery quality control related which are well documented here and elsewhere, and Shearwater has been very good about replacing them for free if yours is draining significantly while powered off (my replacement battery has been perfect thus far). Let's hope they addressed that by switching battery suppliers for the Tern. I'd be shocked if they didn't, given the hundreds of Teric battery replacements they probably had to pay for.

As far as font size goes though, my girlfriend has the Peregrine and the font on that is roughly the same size as the "big" display option on the Teric, even though the screen is obviously much smaller on the Teric. Readability is fine, but I get that some people like to have more data on the screen or have it spaced out more, so I something like the Peregrine or Perdix makes sense there.

Don't like buying anything new to the market either. I'm jaded.

Good luck with your search, new toys are fun.
There is always HUD
SportDiver_20240127_103515.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom