Replacement for DSS rubber grommets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kesmed2001

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I seem to have misplaced the rubber grommets that were provided to help position the wing against the backplate. My recollection is that Tobin felt that the wing and backplate should be (relatively) easily detachable. I see that there are plastic (or metal) assembly screws that could serve the same purpose, but I am initially looking for something similar to what Tobin envisioned.

Thanks

My DSS plate doesn't have anything like that. The cam bands are the only thing that holds the wing on. Are you thinking of the rubber wedge blocks that hold the cam bands in place?

You can use archive.org to look at snapshots of the website over time and maybe find the name for what you are looking for. For example here's the backplate accessories page from 2015: DeepSeaSupply - Back Plates

Edit - found a couple of old thread on this. They do exist, but apparently weren't a catalogued item and aren't really necessary in any case. How to mount and dismount DSS wings on DSS back plates.

DSS Wing Nipple vs. Traditional STA wingnut?

I've seen a few posts over the time Tobin has been gone about these DSS Rubber Wing Locator Nipples. But none of them have had a source for new or used ones.

They are really more of a convenience then a necessity and are only holding the wing in general alignment until the cam bands secure the wing to the plate.

I still have mine on my wings but if I lost one I would go with the plastic book screws. Would still be easy to remove as needed.

No good source for the rubber camband wedge blocks either.

Thanks! I found mention of "elastomeric buttons" on the WayBackMachine. I will probably go with the plastic assembly screws.

Attachments

• 32140_IMAGE_LARGE.jpg
    32140_IMAGE_LARGE.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 35
Deep Sea Supply wedge blocks

full.jpg

Deep Sea Supply
and thank you to the soft spined villagers of SB that contributed to hastening the DSS demise

Back
Top Bottom