Renting high performance regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTexas

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a reg setup and I'm considering several reg options from the average to the high end. I would like to be able to demo the regs on a real dive to see how they breath, feel and act to help narrow down the choices. Of course, most LDS seem to be willing to let you demo the reg in their pool but that only gives limited feedback at a whopping 10 feet. Not a real world situation but better than nothing I suppose. Why is it that shops do not rent out the better regs they sell so people can demo them under real diving conditions? As an added point, if LDSs rented the better regs it would give the occasional diver (2 or so trips per year) the chance to use good equipment and enjoy the experience more without having to shell out lots of money. (I suspect their rationale is that they would loose sales of high dollar items to the occasional diver.) Has anyone found an LDS that rents high performance regulators?

Try offering them a 200$ REFUNDABLE deposit or something for use of the reg with a 20 dollar rental fee.

....you may have to shop around to find that sort of dive shop......in the Dallas/Ft Worth area we're fairly well blessed with dive shops.......usually it's possible to do as you request, even if you end up borrowing the personal reg of shop owners/employees to get your hands on top end models.

You might find it helpful to join in when the shop goes on local dives/classes.....I for one, happily lend my regs to anyone in the group that wants to try them out at lake outings. ( I mainly dive Poseidon Odins/Mares Ruby....both 'high-end' regs) ...and I know other divers who are more than happy to do the same.

However, if you rarely dive or socialize with local divers, the odds are against you.......the more 'serious' a diver you appear to be, the better your chances are of making the connections you need to 'play' with other divers' gear.

Your best bet in that case is search out a 'tech' shop...chance are good they stock at least a few high-end demos for rental.

Karl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom