Renting dive equipment in Cebu, Malapascua, and Palawan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Melee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

My boyfriend and I are off to the Philippines towards the end of March for two and a half weeks. Has anyone had experiences with renting scuba equipment on Cebu, Malapascua, and Palawan? If so, was the experience good/bad? I'm not planning on purchasing equipment until I demo more regulators/bcd's. Thanks for any input.

Mel

In my experience diving in the philippines (though I've owned my own gear for a while now) you aren't likely to want to buy the equipment you rent. That isn't because it is bad stuff it's just usually either very, very basic or old models that they keep in action for a long time. As an example, when i got my c card in cebu about 4 years ago I used a simple seaquest bc - went diving a number of times afterwards in different parts of the philippines and ended up with the same bc about 75% of the time. If I didn't get the seaquest, I ended up with a different brand that had exactly the same features (lack of?). I also still see lots and lots of conshelf regs bering rented that have been off the market for a number of years. They have a great reputation and I never had any problem with them at all but good luck going out and trying to buy one!

Rental shops in the Philippines, maybe more than in other places, ensure that they buy simple, dependable gear and then they maintain it extra well (if it's a good shop) and make sure it lasts for a long time. The margins aren't very big in the Phils and they don't turn over their equipment very often.

Where will you go? Wherever it is have a great time!

Melee
All scuba dive ops buy mass quantity stuff that is cheap and reliable, some may buy middle quality equipment but you pay for it. They try to provide the minimum breatheability and function. You won't find too much variety between ops.
In Malapascua and Palawan, the ops I've seen use basic equipment as usual. If you are looking for better equipment to try, go to a tech dive shop to rent equipment. More expensive but they usually rent better equipment for the demands of diving deeper etc. The BCs will most probably be a backplate system(which is excellent) but takes some getting use to if you were trained on jacket style.

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I need to look in our Lonely Planet guide to see the general areas we're planning on exploring. We don't have any planned itinerary yet. Still have about three and a half weeks to decide. Any reccommendations for dive shops and resorts/hotels/motels in Cebu/Malapascua?
There was one place on Malapascua where there was a Thresher shark feeding station (boyfriend got excited about this fact). How is the diving in this vicinity?

Thanks again,

Mel

Not a feeding station but cleaning station... Monad Shoal. Do a search on Malapascua on the board and you'll see some recommendations for dive ops. I would suggest you get nitrox certification to maximize your thresher time.

Check these guys out.

www.bubble07.com

I was in Malapascua at the end of November and it was great. Cheap to stay and decent food to be had a variety of restaurants. I am going back in April after Easter because it was so nice. I have heard that Easter is a little tough as many people are on vacation.

Duncan runs this shop and has another couple of Brits who instruct and guide. I believe they do give a small discount if you contact them and dive with them when you get there.

I didn't use the rental gear as I brought my own but I think they were the average.

Check their web site for dive photos/sites and directions on how to get there. Worked for me the last time. If you fly into Cebu airport you can inquire at the information desk for a taxi to the north end of the island - about 1700 pesos but maybe you can bargain down a little. It is much faster (2hrs vs. 4hrs) and more pleasant than the bus ride. Granted it is more expensive.

Not much to do on the island but dive. I saw the threshers and hope to see the mantas, hammerheads or whale shark this time.

Have fun.

Jason

I can second the comment on Bubble07 - did our Nitrox course through them.

You also REALLY should use Nitrox at Monad Shoal.

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for the great information. Whoops! Sorry, I meant cleaning station, not feeding station. Really looking forward to this trip!

Cheers,

Mel

I would also recommend a book for SE Asia dive travel "Diving Southeast Asia" A guide to the best dive sites in Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines and Thailand -Periplus Action Guides - published by Periplus Editions (HK) Ltd.

I picked it up at Barnes and Noble in the states.

It does a good job of reviewing dive sites in the areas it describes with dive shops listed in the back. It is not complete by any means as it doesn't mention Malapasua but gives a descent comparison of dive areas. I have also dived the wrecks off of Busuanga Island which was my first warm water diving and quite enjoyable. Not the greatest variety of places to stay and eat but adequate and cheap for avid divers. Bottom of wrecks at 100'-120' and top at 60' or so. Mostly Japanese Freighters of WWII. More divable than Chuck or Bikini but the U.S. salvaged (lots of blasting) most everything off of them after recapturing the islands.

Check this web site for e-mail addresses and shop web sites in the Philippines and elsewhere www.scubaspots.com. It is where I found Bubble07 for Malapasua and Dive-Right in Coron Town on Busuanga Island. Both good websites with good information. I had good luck with both as far as pleasant, knowledgable, experienced people operating each shop at the time I visited.

Anyone reading know of good books for the rest of Pacific diving destinations such as Palau, Fiji, Vietnam, and other island destinations. thanks.

Enjoy the trip
Jason

when you get to cebu, talk to the guys at SCUBAWORLD cebu.

I rented several tanks there when i went and they did not give trouble considering i just poped one day into their office and said i wanted to rent two tanks and showed them my C-card.

SCUBA WORLD INC.,- Cebu
800 Ma. Cristina St., Capitol, Cebu City
Tel. No: (63-32) 254-9554
Fax No: (63-32)254-9591
E-mail: swi-cebu@skyinet.net, cebu@scubaworld.com.ph (Dive Shop)
swtravel-cebu@skyinet.net, (Dive Travel)

http://www.scubaworld.com.ph/contactus.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom