Removing SPG from console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottyK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
After getting everything else mounted on my wrists, I now have two clunky Oceanic consoles that just hold SPG's.

Can I "safely" remove the consoles so I'm left with two streamlined SPG's, or do I need to EBAY em' and buy new ones???

You got any pics...I know the sherwoods pop out pretty easy

I can take one tonight. It looks like even worst case I could carefully cut the console off around the guage. My concern is that it's the same as a guage only, with a console attached. In other words, the console isn't what's holding the whole thing together.

ScottyK once bubbled...
I can take one tonight. It looks like even worst case I could carefully cut the console off around the guage. My concern is that it's the same as a guage only, with a console attached. In other words, the console isn't what's holding the whole thing together.
O.K...now I'm confused....

Are you saying that the HP hose is somehow possibly mgically connected through the consol to the gauge...

On the sherwoods, the hose runs into the consol, and the gauge is connected to the hose....I assume that is what your looks like, and I would think that the consol should easily pop off...maybe not a trivial pop off mind you, but it has to come off....it would be real dumb to design it otherwise.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
O.K...now I'm confused....

Are you saying that the HP hose is somehow possibly mgically connected through the consol to the gauge...

LOL :D

Am I being a touch over cautious ???

I've just never taken one apart before, so AFAIK there could be little elves in there!

I think you answered my question though. You're saying that a guage in a console is the same thing you'd get seperately, and it's just slipped into the console, correct?

I was worried that the console might be part of what holds it all together.

Yeah, I think paranoia has set in...

Here's what the sherwood looks like that I have ripped apart before...

I am guessing that this is what your oceanic looks like?

If so, I'm certain it has to pop out.

just disconnect spg hose from first stage, bend the console as you are popping out the gauge, and pull the whole thing thru the console. If you for some reason want to disconnect the gauge from the hose, make sure you DON'T disconnect the nut ON the gauge, but the one on the hose side. Disconnecting the nut on the gauge will ruin the gauge, so the best way is just to pull the whole thing through. Once you have it out, you can make a boot with a 2 1/2" No-Hub cap (cast iron waste pipe cover) with a hole
for the hose and the concave part of the back cut out. I'll try to post picture, but I don't know how.

My wife has Oceanic console so I can take a look tonight. Only question should be whether it is better to pull the hose all the way through the console or just far enought to detacch the SPG from the hose and then remove the console over the gauge end of the hose. I suspect the latter would be easier on the hose. But you need to be careful not to damage the HP spindle. Probably a good opportunity to inspect, clean of replace, and relube the spindle O-rings also. If in doubt, you may want to have LDS do it. You're talking a 10 minute job.

I almost picked that one scott...but seriously....DIY you'll learn how to fix a leaky consol for the future...or at least know where to check when someone says "my consol is leaking air"...which is how I learned about the sherwoods during one of the AOW classes I was working with...

Popped it out, swapped the torn o-ring...good to go!! I think it was 7 minutes...but I was distracted with beer at the time.

Back
Top Bottom