Religion and scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i already advised you to stop taking single verses out of context... read the whole thing, get an understanding of what's going on and then we can talk... i will not continue correcting you on the bible...
And I already advised you that you're just squaring the circle if you insist that it doesn't mean what it actually says. Because obviously, what it says is nonsense. So you have to explain it away. Apologetics, the art of making sense of nonsense. Or trying to, anyway.

i will explain this one last thing to you... then you can do what you want...

go read who Jesus is talking to in that chapter... you feel everything that is said in the bible is for everybody to do?... If Jesus told Moses to go stand on the sea and stretch forth your arms and the sea will open and you could cross.. that means i can go stretch forth my arms.. and the sea would open and i could cross?...

i mean.. really??

l8rs

i already advised you to stop taking single verses out of context... read the whole thing, get an understanding of what's going on and then we can talk... i will not continue correcting you on the bible...

this thread as far as i'm concerned has been started, and restarted with the same points being restated... i think that's about all she wrote... even with ignoring the non-contributors who apparently just need to type something

Well that is annoying. dfx cannot use quotes from your beloved bible :)

By the way, your proofs are impatiently awaited, buddy. Do not let me down :).

I asked you several times if you are a creationnist or not. On this question, no answer either. Are you afraid of something?

C'mon, you are a diver: jump in the water :)

i will explain this one last thing to you... then you can do what you want...

go read who Jesus is talking to in that chapter... you feel everything that is said in the bible is for everybody to do?... If Jesus told Moses to go stand on the sea and stretch forth your arms and the sea will open and you could cross.. that means i can go stretch forth my arms.. and the sea would open and i could cross?...

i mean.. really??

l8rs
No, I totally understand. Some believers are obviously, um, better? special? more worthy? more preferred? than others. Like obviously you are more preferred than those in Africa, because your prayers are answered and theirs are not.

And you have the audacity to call others arrogant.

---------- Post added July 17th, 2015 at 05:36 PM ----------

Well that is annoying. dfx cannot use quotes from your beloved bible :)

By the way, your proofs are impatiently awaited, buddy. Do not let me down :).

I asked you several times if you are a creationnist or not. On this question, no answer either. Are you afraid of something?

C'mon, you are a diver: jump in the water :)
Well, just in case, and because this is a wonderful resource: Index to Creationist Claims

Last edited:
I can't believe you guys are still going! ��. Get out and dive and enjoy the planet regardless of how it was created.

As I recall, the claim that whatever they asked for would be granted was addressed to Christ's disciplines, and it was what was asked for in His name. Not just citing His name; in it. These were men greatly committed to His service, who dedicated their lives to that service. Just as Jesus didn't fly around on a magic carpet or otherwise serve himself with miracles, judging from Scripture, I don't think the disciples/apostles did, either. Those they, too, appeared to perform miracles, most of them were martyred, for example.

This thread has become a perpetual rehash of what it was doomed to be from the original post, irrespective of the original poster's intent. Before I got into scuba diving, I spent a lot of time on a turtle forum, which also had both a pub (gotta have a red light district, I guess) and a debater's section where people who enjoy fighting could have at it. And some topics, like religion & abortion, inevitably followed the same pattern. Each can post their view. Then somebody asserts as a fact what the other side finds an offensive untruth, or a snarky insult, retaliates, then multiple pages of posts ensure in the mighty struggle for the last word.

Since people have been linking recommended readings, I have one - Mere Christianity, by C. S. Lewis, a brilliant man, an atheist who converted to Christianity and whose stories provided us the Chronicles of Narnia.

God taught us in Romans 1:20 that:

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

Doubtless scornful derision and refuting will follow, yet peoples & cultures across the world & history have responded to this testimony with worship of a divinity, at least. I thought of this because it is repeatedly claimed that there's no 'evidence' of God. Without God there'd be nothing, so in that sense, everything is evidence. The amazing order in creation. The subjective conscious experience of Life, so different from an artificial intelligence on a computer that 'acts like' sentient life but doesn't experience it as we do. The irreducible complexity argument that just as a million monkeys banging on type writers for a million years would never randomly bang out a Shakespearean play, a functionally coded genome for a viable organism probably didn't 'just happen.' If whatever God does is written off as 'part of the natural world' or 'I don't believe it ever happened,' it should surprise no one some will be frustrated that they can't find any evidence.

As though the tiny (from a universal perspective) wad of gray matter in our heads were the only substrate capable of harboring higher intelligence, that the sum total of all that was prior to the creation could not have such, and that Man, purported to basically be an over-achieving pack of tool-using monkeys has so figured out the universe that he is now 'the measure of all things,' and only what he can demonstrate by his methods to his satisfaction will be acknowledged to exist. What arrogant pride! From childhood, much of what we learn in life we learn by faith, if only faith in the report of someone who witnessed events or did the research. The Bible is a testament of these people - hence the Old and New Testaments.

God has demonstrated Himself by blatant miracles to many people many times over millennia, but some of you won't believe their testimony. This same God whom some of you believe were He to exist would be unconcerned about humanity is apparently expected to show up on demand and submit Himself to double blind placebo controlled lab experiments to do…what exactly?

Would our atheists fall to their knees & worship Him then? Or decide He was an alien or didn't have the right to rule over us?

Posts in this thread haven't just included denial of God's existence, but overt scorn and contempt. If people intensely dislike God as what they believe to be a fictional character, how will they react to undeniable confirmation of Him? Some posts presume to judge almighty God and basically condemn Him by the 'moral standards' of a human.

It seems to me God has presented Himself to the world well enough that humanity gets introduced to Him, and those who wish to seek Him out earnestly may do so, or should be given that chance (hence the urgency of the Great Commission), yet God has not in the day-to-day imposed Himself in such a way as to be overbearing on us. So we have the freedom to choose.

Richard.

Yeah, but maybe they are much more content in their thirst and hunger.

Isn't that the point of religion ... to placate people who don't have much with the promise of having more in the next life?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Mostly TLDR, but...

Without God there'd be nothing, so in that sense, everything is evidence.
Begging the question

The irreducible complexity argument that just as a million monkeys banging on type writers for a million years would never randomly bang out a Shakespearean play, a functionally coded genome for a viable organism probably didn't 'just happen.'
You obviously don't understand evolution. It doesn't claim that it "just happened." Quite the opposite is the case.

As though the tiny (from a universal perspective) wad of gray matter in our heads were the only substrate capable of harboring higher intelligence, that the sum total of all that was prior to the creation could not have such, and that Man, purported to basically be an over-achieving pack of tool-using monkeys has so figured out the universe that he is now 'the measure of all things,' and only what he can demonstrate by his methods to his satisfaction will be acknowledged to exist. What arrogant pride!
Straw man. But yeah, believing that the entire universe was created just for us is not arrogant at all. No no...

From childhood, much of what we learn in life we learn by faith, if only faith in the report of someone who witnessed events or did the research.
You're right, in childhood we do take a lot of things on the basis of faith. Because we don't know any better. But many of us grow up and learn how to question what we have been taught. We learn to distinguish between faith and trust. Trust is earned and is based on evidence. Faith is not and therefore is worthless.

This same God whom some of you believe were He to exist would be unconcerned about humanity is apparently expected to show up on demand and submit Himself to double blind placebo controlled lab experiments to do…what exactly?

Would our atheists fall to their knees & worship Him then? Or decide He was an alien or didn't have the right to rule over us?
I would acknowledge its existence. I would not worship it though, because the bible tells us that this god is a sadistic, homophobic, racist, misogynistic, blood-thirsty madman.

I'm not sure how that would work though. Like you said, I would be more inclined to believe that it is indeed an alien with vastly superior technology. I do know though, that if your god really did exist, it should know what it would take to convince me.

AThe irreducible complexity argument that just as a million monkeys banging on type writers for a million years would never randomly bang out a Shakespearean play, a functionally coded genome for a viable organism probably didn't 'just happen.'
Richard.

Astounding, as a medical professional you choose to ignore pathogenic bacteria that have adapted to their environment to become resistant to antibiotics. Isn't that the basis for evolutionary theory? (and please don't drag out that sad disingenuous dodge that it is only a theory. . .)

Or is bacteria becoming resistant to antibiotics another of your 'miracles'.

As I recall, the claim that whatever they asked for would be granted was addressed to Christ's disciplines, and it was what was asked for in His name. Not just citing His name; in it. These were men greatly committed to His service, who dedicated their lives to that service. Just as Jesus didn't fly around on a magic carpet or otherwise serve himself with miracles, judging from Scripture, I don't think the disciples/apostles did, either. Those they, too, appeared to perform miracles, most of them were martyred, for example.

This thread has become a perpetual rehash of what it was doomed to be from the original post, irrespective of the original poster's intent. Before I got into scuba diving, I spent a lot of time on a turtle forum, which also had both a pub (gotta have a red light district, I guess) and a debater's section where people who enjoy fighting could have at it. And some topics, like religion & abortion, inevitably followed the same pattern. Each can post their view. Then somebody asserts as a fact what the other side finds an offensive untruth, or a snarky insult, retaliates, then multiple pages of posts ensure in the mighty struggle for the last word.

Since people have been linking recommended readings, I have one - Mere Christianity, by C. S. Lewis, a brilliant man, an atheist who converted to Christianity and whose stories provided us the Chronicles of Narnia.

God taught us in Romans 1:20 that:

Doubtless scornful derision and refuting will follow, yet peoples & cultures across the world & history have responded to this testimony with worship of a divinity, at least. I thought of this because it is repeatedly claimed that there's no 'evidence' of God. Without God there'd be nothing, so in that sense, everything is evidence. The amazing order in creation. The subjective conscious experience of Life, so different from an artificial intelligence on a computer that 'acts like' sentient life but doesn't experience it as we do. The irreducible complexity argument that just as a million monkeys banging on type writers for a million years would never randomly bang out a Shakespearean play, a functionally coded genome for a viable organism probably didn't 'just happen.' If whatever God does is written off as 'part of the natural world' or 'I don't believe it ever happened,' it should surprise no one some will be frustrated that they can't find any evidence.

As though the tiny (from a universal perspective) wad of gray matter in our heads were the only substrate capable of harboring higher intelligence, that the sum total of all that was prior to the creation could not have such, and that Man, purported to basically be an over-achieving pack of tool-using monkeys has so figured out the universe that he is now 'the measure of all things,' and only what he can demonstrate by his methods to his satisfaction will be acknowledged to exist. What arrogant pride! From childhood, much of what we learn in life we learn by faith, if only faith in the report of someone who witnessed events or did the research. The Bible is a testament of these people - hence the Old and New Testaments.

God has demonstrated Himself by blatant miracles to many people many times over millennia, but some of you won't believe their testimony. This same God whom some of you believe were He to exist would be unconcerned about humanity is apparently expected to show up on demand and submit Himself to double blind placebo controlled lab experiments to do…what exactly?

Posts in this thread haven't just included denial of God's existence, but overt scorn and contempt. If people intensely dislike God as what they believe to be a fictional character, how will they react to undeniable confirmation of Him? Some posts presume to judge almighty God and basically condemn Him by the 'moral standards' of a human.

It seems to me God has presented Himself to the world well enough that humanity gets introduced to Him, and those who wish to seek Him out earnestly may do so, or should be given that chance (hence the urgency of the Great Commission), yet God has not in the day-to-day imposed Himself in such a way as to be overbearing on us. So we have the freedom to choose.

Richard.

Why in heaven would the creator of the universe want to be worshipped? This suggests a serious character flaw.

It seems to me that the God who has left such abundant evidence would be content to leave things at that, and not require people to bow down and pay obeisance. This makes God sound like a celestial version of Donald Trump.

Back
Top Bottom