Religion and scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you do what makes you happy...

I have a higher level of understanding about these things than you do... as i said before you can find "proof" for anything on the internet... you can be a big boy and find "proof" that God exists... or post silly youtube videos that milk answers prayers... doesn't really matter to me...

you continue believe what you choose to believe... and i will do the same... it's that simple... i have my evidence, millions of people have their evidence... and just like religious people who REFUSE to believe science is evidence, the ones that will not understand your evidence because it does not compute to them... you can continue to refuse to believe as well, because it does not compute to you...

This.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and nothing has so far managed to falsify the null hypothesis (that there is no omnipotent Jehovah/Allah/Zeus/Odin/Flying Spaghetti Monster). The deity hypothesis, OTOH, seriously lacks support in the data.

The world “ALLAH” means highest/most supreme (intelligence). Keep in mind that Arabs had no interest in science prior to the coming of Islam. Their interest in science began after the birth of Islam and took another two hundred years to mature into an era called Golden age of science.

Muslim scholarship two hundred years after Islam believed that empirical observation of the universe will cause a global collapse of theology and the whole world will believe in a highest supreme intelligence that defies cosmological time and space (ALLAH). Thus it was believed that science (Ilm-ul-daryaft) and cosmological monotheism (Tauheed) are interconnected in such a way that pursuit of one will always cause the other. In short this means that a man of science will explore the universe and will eventually believe in a single-creator that lies outside time and space (ALLAH) and a man who accepts a single creator outside time and space will pursue science.

This notion was pretty mainstream back then and one of the strongest proponents of this view was an astronomer called Al-Battani who is recognized by NASA to be the man who discovered Sun-spots. When Copernicus founded his views of the universe, he was so heavily influenced by Al Battani that he quoted Al-Battani 14 times in his writings.

I thought it would be important to mention this because there are always those who assume an inherent, global opposition between science and religion and do not realize that their own stance would be regarded as a highly religious one by many.

How can religious fanatics call other people closed minded? Aren't their religion demanding they never question it and follow it blindly? lol makes no sense

I thought it would be important to mention this because there are always those who assume an inherent, global opposition between science and religion and do not realize that their own stance would be regarded as a highly religious one by many.

Well said...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The world “ALLAH” means highest/most supreme (intelligence). Keep in mind that Arabs had no interest in science prior to the coming of Islam. Their interest in science began after the birth of Islam and took another two hundred years to mature into an era called Golden age of science.

Muslim scholarship two hundred years after Islam believed that empirical observation of the universe will cause a global collapse of theology and the whole world will believe in a highest supreme intelligence that defies cosmological time and space (ALLAH). Thus it was believed that science (Ilm-ul-daryaft) and cosmological monotheism (Tauheed) are interconnected in such a way that pursuit of one will always cause the other. In short this means that a man of science will explore the universe and will eventually believe in a single-creator that lies outside time and space (ALLAH) and a man who accepts a single creator outside time and space will pursue science.

This notion was pretty mainstream back then and one of the strongest proponents of this view was an astronomer called Al-Battani who is recognized by NASA to be the man who discovered Sun-spots. When Copernicus founded his views of the universe, he was so heavily influenced by Al Battani that he quoted Al-Battani 14 times in his writings.

An excellent book by Columbia University's George Saliba, "The Origin and Development of Arabic Scientific Thought" (1998) provides a thorough description of the nature and contributions of Islamic science and mathematics from its earliest days. It also points out the pervasive tendency to ignore or misattribute the contributions of Islamic science and its ground breaking originality.

Islamic science did not simply serve as a conduit for Greek and Asian science. There are good reasons for the Arabic terms that fill math textbooks, from Arabic numerals to Algebra. Another splendid book, "Orientalism" by the late and sorely missed Edward Said explains why these misconceptions are so common in the West.

So arrogant... Because you KNOW that they are praying and what they are praying for. And you KNOW who they are praying too right?

I'm curious if you've spent any time in Africa ... particularly sub-Saharan countries like Botswana and Zambia. I found the people there, on the whole, to be intensely religious. There's plenty of praying going on ... to the same God who you pray to (those missionaries were nothing if not thorough).

Doesn't seem to help them find enough food to eat, or potable water to drink.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Reactions: dfx

Back
Top Bottom