Religion and scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well Richard, I was under the impression that you were questionning evolution. So, if I misunderstood your statement, please forgive me. I somehow felt that the "creation of whole beings" was leading in that direction. :). I am still looking for the one individual that belongs to the group (more that 50 %) of americans that are creationists. I hoped I found one :). As far as I remember, I have not shared with anyone what I was doing for a living. Did I? Guy

I was referring to people alluding to what I do for a living, not what you do. As for creationism, I believe God created life. In just what state and form, how literal vs. metaphorical the Genesis account was, I'm not sure. My point was, even if He created higher life forms 'instantly,' or what-have-you, then once limited life span, death, procreation, random mutation & natural selection pressures came into play, there would be a change in the genetics over time - to the extent that's adaptive/progressive, we call it evolution. Yes. Believing in God does not exclude me from accepting that. The use of selective breeding to transform wolves into various dog breeds is an example, though it's via human rather than natural selection. The basic process is the same.

Richard.

You cant touch the company, you cant speek to the compnay.

Most of us can't touch or speak to Justin Bieber.

Richard, I don't share your beliefs much at all but I am in awe of how unfailingly civil and respectful you are as you share them. I haven't read the whole thread (merely considering the thought gives me a headache), but wherever I have stopped in to read a few posts, your tone has always been above reproach.

I wish all discourse could maintain that level of quality, especially online where things get even uglier than in real world interaction.

I was referring to people alluding to what I do for a living, not what you do. As for creationism, I believe God created life. In just what state and form, how literal vs. metaphorical the Genesis account was, I'm not sure. My point was, even if He created higher life forms 'instantly,' or what-have-you, then once limited life span, death, procreation, random mutation & natural selection pressures came into play, there would be a change in the genetics over time - to the extent that's adaptive/progressive, we call it evolution. Yes. Believing in God does not exclude me from accepting that. The use of selective breeding to transform wolves into various dog breeds is an example, though it's via human rather than natural selection. The basic process is the same.
Well, if you accept evolution through natural selection as a satisfactory explanation for the diversity and complexity of today's life forms, then where does your god come into play? Abiogenesis? Or do you claim that it could have happened but in fact didn't? Or theistic evolution? Or the big bang? Or something else entirely?

I believe that God created things, including life forms. It's not necessary to also conclude they must never change, as we see with selective breeding. And it had to start somewhere. At some point there had to be a life-form with a genome, able to survive, acquire nourishment in whatever way, and replicate itself to some extent so as to split into more than one cell. Basically the irreducible complexity argument. The mechanics, just what the time frame was, I don't know. As for the big bang, well, I hold God said 'Let There Be Light,' and I would imagine the BB would be a major light show.

It's worth mentioning that the Bible is a guide book to the meaning of life, not a manual of its biochemistry/physiology. It introduces us to God, and a larger framework of creation into which mankind falls in the Christian system. That doesn't necessarily mean all creation centers solely around us. While it lays out an order of creation, I think 'who & why' is the more major lesson than the exact time frame/mechanics of how. There are some holes in my understanding I just have to accept, just as scientists have to tolerate holes in theirs for awhile.

I work in mental health; there are many researchers working hard to unlock the mysteries of schizophrenia & other mental disorders. And despite all the progress made, there's still so much we don't know. As a Christian looking at the universe from my tiny perspective, I, too, face some big holes. But as they said in that old series the X Files, the truth is out there.

Richard.

---------- Post added July 18th, 2015 at 07:16 PM ----------

Where is the Scuba part of this thread?

The thread evolved.

Richard.

I believe that God created things, including life forms. It's not necessary to also conclude they must never change, as we see with selective breeding. And it had to start somewhere. At some point there had to be a life-form with a genome, able to survive, acquire nourishment in whatever way, and replicate itself to some extent so as to split into more than one cell. Basically the irreducible complexity argument. The mechanics, just what the time frame was, I don't know. As for the big bang, well, I hold God said 'Let There Be Light,' and I would imagine the BB would be a major light show.

It's worth mentioning that the Bible is a guide book to the meaning of life, not a manual of its biochemistry/physiology. It introduces us to God, and a larger framework of creation into which mankind falls in the Christian system. That doesn't necessarily mean all creation centers solely around us. While it lays out an order of creation, I think 'who & why' is the more major lesson than the exact time frame/mechanics of how. There are some holes in my understanding I just have to accept, just as scientists have to tolerate holes in theirs for awhile.

Ok Richard, how do you reconcile the fossil record, both that it shows evolution and divergence of species, and for the relative age of the earth it suggests?

IIRC the number Christian fundamentalists throw around is somewhere between 6,000 and 10,000 years

Isn't Petersburg, KY in your hood ? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom