Release Date For New Atomic Aquatics Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, so bells and whistles aside....anyone run this side by side with another established computer to see how their "custom designed algorithm" compares? I dive Oceanic/Aeris and know they are very liberal, so no pushing the red line....how does this Atomic stack up?

Oh, and for all the other stuff in the computer....after a "bad experience" during mini season this year I reset my gear with backup so even if it has air, and compass, I'm carrying a separate SPG and compass!

I just stumbled across this thread, and hope I can provide some useful information. I'm one of the developers of the Cobalt computer.

Ron, You are probably the guy to answer my question posted above. How does the algorithm compare to other computers?

I am also very interested in this computer but have had consistently poor experiences with rechargeable batteries in dive lights and many other land based products. The batteries never last as long as reported and usually start having problems retaining power within less than one year no matter how carefully instructions are followed. Can a replacement battery be ordered and installed by the user? If not, how long will turn around be when sent in for such service? How much will it cost?

It is November , So where is it. I hope they are not waiting for the DEMA show before shipping!!!! Get it out there now before someone else trumps it.

Somehow I stopped getting notifications on this thread, but will try to belatedly respond to the questions above:
Cobalt should start shipping out at the end of this week or the beginning of next- very happy to be able to say that with some certainty. In typical Atomic fashion every unit is being tested prior to shipping, so the orders won't all ship at once.

re. Batteries: these do work as advertised, about 40-50 hours of diving time and many months of standby power. We have had them running for a couple of years without issues. Eventually they, like all batteries, will need to be replaced- though the estimated life will allow for years of use. Replacement will be a (very easy- 5 minute) dealer job- only because of the O-ring and pressure relief will need to be reset, and the fact that it is a specialized battery and connector you will need to get from a dealer. While you can send it back to Atomic, that should not be necessary. The battery compartment on the Cobalt is isolated from the electronics, so replacing the battery is on the order of sealing a camera housing. I don't have any info on cost, but it should not be much.

re. the algorithm questions: It's very difficult to say anything general that isn't complete nonsense, but... The Cobalt is somewhere in the middle ground for conservatism. It's hard to know what is meant by any individual regarding algorithm conservatism- length of no-stop times, lower penalties for repetitive or multi- day diving, shorter or longer deco schedules once you enter deco, required deep stops or safety stops? And on what kind of dive profiles? We have had a lot of people diving them alongside other computers, and we are not the most liberal or the most conservative. Cobalt does require deep stops in deco and when near no-deco limits, some might see that as a more conservative profile. My (very subjective) observation is that dive computer algorithms generally are becoming more alike in their behavior.

re. Constant PPO2: Well, the hardware and algorithm can certainly do constant PPO2. This model, being an integrated console, is seen as primarily a recreational product. As such, we want to keep the interface uncomplicated. Constant PPO2 and trimix would be something we expect to offer in the future, as a different model.

Hey Divers,

Beach Cities Scuba is proud to announce that we have received the first shipment of Atomic Aquatics Cobalt dive computers! We have been test diving this unit for several months, and it has been just awesome. The OLED display is incredibly easy to read, the interface is easy to use, and the rechargeable lithium ion battery means you never need to worry about changing the battery.

Available units are limited as this is the first shipment, and the first few have already been snapped up, so call us today at 949-443-3858 to reserve your unit or come in to check it out before they disappear!

See more details at Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer - Simply Brilliant.

Happy Diving,
Andrew
Beach Cities Scuba
949-443-3858

Hmmm.

Guess I'll find out where my LDS is in Atomic's pecking order. I don't know if it makes any difference, but I plunked down my deposit back in early September.

Btw, Dive Pro is running a Scuba Board banner ad for the Cobalt. If you click on the ad, you're directed to Dive Pro's Atomic Cobalt page. What's interesting about this is that Dive Pro lists the Cobalt's retail price at $1,725, with their price discounted to $1,200. Here's the link:

Dive Pro Atomic Cobalt Computer

Per every other retailer I'm aware of as well as Scuba Diving Magazine, the retail price is $1,200, so I'm unsure as to what to make of Dive Pro's "discount."

The Cobalt is now shipping and I believe preorders will be filled within the month.

Back
Top Bottom