Release Date For New Atomic Aquatics Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cbrussell

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any update on the release date for the new Atomic Aquatics dive computer? I am in the market for a console type AI dive computer and would like to purchase one. If it is not forthcoming, which one should I purchase; two alternatives which have surfaced are the Oceanic Data Pro plus and the Sherwood Wisdom. What are the pros and cons of each? are there any others worth considering?
Thanks

I've heard/seen nothing for a while now on the 'new' Atomic computer....I've been waiting on them too. They were said to hit the market late spring 2010, it's now mid-July and I'm not seeing any market 'buzz' anywhere. There is another thread here claiming the LCD screens for this computer are so nice/expensive to produce that the LCD manufacturers have stopped manufacturing them such that Atomic will have to redesign their computers to use a cheaper, more conventional screen.....but others are saying that Atomic DOES have a supplier for their fancy screens....and I don't know who is right, or if this issue explains the apparent delay in Atomic's release of their computer. If you can't hold out for the Atomic, I'd recommend the Oceanic Pro Plus ones, I've been diving them for some years now and have been very happy with them....the Sherwoods are Oceanics in a different styled case, same computer inside though.

I had one on the Spree last week and it was Schweeeet! The screen was very easy to read and well lit up. The numbers were a little small for these old eyes, but the controls were the easiest to work of any advanced computer I've ever seen. I don't happen to like quick disconnects on dive computers, although the o-ring on this one is the same as a regular spool o-ring in a swivel gage, so I wouldn't buy one, but for those who like a console type air integrated computer, this baby is tops.

I had one on the Spree last week and it was Schweeeet! The screen was very easy to read and well lit up. The numbers were a little small for these old eyes, but the controls were the easiest to work of any advanced computer I've ever seen. I don't happen to like quick disconnects on dive computers, although the o-ring on this one is the same as a regular spool o-ring in a swivel gage, so I wouldn't buy one, but for those who like a console type air integrated computer, this baby is tops.

Interesting, Frank! ...so are they out on the market for retail sales or was that diver some sort of insider or Atomic test-pilot? I'm not seeing them yet for sale @ Scubatoys...

Press person. I'd guess that Atomic is thiiiiis close to release.

Press person. I'd guess that Atomic is thiiiiis close to release.

Thanks for the heads-up Frank! When they're available, I'd like to get at least 3 of 'em, this fall/winter timeframe most likely. :)

A LDS e-mailed me today, saying the 'COBALT' computer will be shipping end of September, 2010...that's all I know, nothing on pricing or anything else.

My understanding is Atomic is hoping for a September release.

We'll see.

Scuba Labs gave the Cobalt its 2011 "Testers' Choice" Award in its review of dive computers in this month's issue of Scuba Diving Magazine, which I took as a good sign that the release date is near.

Per the review, retail price is $1,200.

Back
Top Bottom