Release Date For New Atomic Aquatics Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mares Icon HD Air/Nitrox Wrist Computer with Compass 414119 with reviews at scuba.com

The Mares does have a compass. Mares is supposedly going to have AI in the future although it has been delayed.

Also, the Uemis has a superior OLED screen----I have to check the Atomic but it sounds like they switched to an LCD. For contrast, reading in any light, night, etc. without using a backlight OLED is way better.

It looks very good, don't get me wrong, just not $1200 good.

According to Scubatoys, the COBALT...DOES... have an OLED screen, and the unit goes 40 - 60 dive hours between recharges.

Not sure where you got your information but the Cobalt is most certainly OLED. It states that on their own website and a hands on overview of the product backs it up.

Sorry about missing the Mares compass detail. The deal killer on the Mares for me is the battery life.

As for the price it is inline with many of the top computers Uemis without AI, Mares Icon when it was released, Oceanic OC1, UWatec Luna, etc. Is a recreational dive computer ever really worth $1200? Guess that depends on what $1200 is to a person. If the AI version of the Uemis was around $1200, I would probably buy one but at $1700-ish... I will wait for the next gen to lower the prices a bit.

It's not a horrible deal and definitely interested in it but nothing revolutionary or killer about it where I'd spend the money. I know the Uemis had a promo deal at one point that included the transmitter for $1200, I'd just wait for something like that again. Or wait until Mares brings out their long delayed transmitter upgrade for once-----the battery life ain't great on it but good enough for most days of diving unless you're doing a super long live aboard, than you could always bring your charger or one of those battery pack chargers they have now so not a deal breaker for me.

Plus I'm sure Atomic will come out with a wrist version sooner or later. Seems like a good start for now and something I'll be watching.

It's not a horrible deal and definitely interested in it but nothing revolutionary or killer about it where I'd spend the money. I know the Uemis had a promo deal at one point that included the transmitter for $1200, I'd just wait for something like that again. Or wait until Mares brings out their long delayed transmitter upgrade for once-----the battery life ain't great on it but good enough for most days of diving unless you're doing a super long live aboard, than you could always bring your charger or one of those battery pack chargers they have now so not a deal breaker for me.

Plus I'm sure Atomic will come out with a wrist version sooner or later. Seems like a good start for now and something I'll be watching.

Per what Scubatoys told me yesterday, the 'wireless' AI version of 'COBALT' will be out in another year.

Built in Lithium ion battery provides 40-60 hours of dive time and several years of service before needing replacement. Battery can be quickly recharged with the AC charger or slow charged by plugging into the USB port of any PC.
I took this to mean 40 - 60 hours between changing the battery (will it need to be sent in for this?), not between recharges. But I guess for many users several years would be a lot more than 40 - 60 hours. Would like confirmation on the point, though.

What I want to know is whether it'll have a truly easy, intuitive interface more akin to the GUI interfaces we're used to in computer software, rather than the arcane and arbitrary button pushing combo.s that characterize changing times, gas from air to EAN 32 (or whatever), etc...

A dive computer that was much easier to reprogram and didn't require pulling out a manual and flipping around might be worth a price premium.

Richard.

I took this to mean 40 - 60 hours between changing the battery (will it need to be sent in for this?), not between recharges. But I guess for many users several years would be a lot more than 40 - 60 hours. Would like confirmation on the point, though.

What I want to know is whether it'll have a truly easy, intuitive interface more akin to the GUI interfaces we're used to in computer software, rather than the arcane and arbitrary button pushing combo.s that characterize changing times, gas from air to EAN 32 (or whatever), etc...

A dive computer that was much easier to reprogram and didn't require pulling out a manual and flipping around might be worth a price premium.

Richard.

Per the Atomic WWW site:

"Built in Lithium ion battery provides 40-60 hours of dive time and several years of service before needing replacement. Battery can be quickly recharged with the AC charger or slow charged by plugging into the USB port of any PC. "

.....both 'Wookie" captain of the SPREE, and the Scubatoys guy I spoke to yesterday, seem blown away by this computer, so I'm confident it will be extremely awesome in all categories, and I'm really looking forward to getting mine in a month (already on order).

40-60 hours per charge not per battery as noted above. The preview on this unit likens the interface to a cellphone using the four buttons on the console. It is one of the best interfaces for a recreational dive computer apparently. If only it was a wrist version... I could live without AI but a console, really?

We have been testing a beta unit for a few months now and can tell you a few things that are certain.

The screen is definately OLED not LCD and is not the reason for any hold up. As usual when an Atomic product hits the market it will be right in every aspect not rushed.

The beta computers and their software have been run through the ringer. Different colors/layouts have been tested and each one of these has required software updates. This takes time. (we've even tested how well the battery compartment will seal with out an o-ring..Ooops!)

I know this is not exciting info but the computer is coming, will be right and will be bad ass.

Dealers (including us) are taking pre-orders.

PM me if anyone has anyother questions.

Darcy just posted it's coming "this Fall" on FaceBook.

Tick, tick, tick...

Back
Top Bottom