Release Date For New Atomic Aquatics Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually Scubarus66 it is shipping. I know I know.. might have held off a bit, but some have left the building..

I got mine yesterday via Scuba.com and it is every bit as "intuitive" as the reviews suggest. I figured out everything (I think) without cracking the manual. I did go back and read about charging the battery, which is also straightforward. It is one very very nice computer. I might even use a freakin' compass for a change, too, lol.

SD

Sea Stallion Lake Forest Ca. has them. I tried one yesterday. Nothing like it on the market. I was easily able to program it without ever looking at the directions. The info on the screen jumps out at you. The compass works like a charm.

I have a Cobra III. It pales in comparison. Need to sell it so I can afford the Atomic.

So... I am one of the luckiest guys around. I won my Cobalt in my local dive shop's raffle (Thanks Academy of Scuba and AZ Divers!!). Picked it up Friday afternoon. As discussed, it is spectacular and intuitive to use. My fiance, who is in between her OW pool sessions and her OW cert dives, figured it out in about a minute without the instructions. She's going to use it when we dive together and I'll use my VT3 - better that she have a unit she can use easily. Going to be great for those folk who buy a new computer along with their OW course and take it on their dive vacation without bothering to figure out how to use it. It's still not a good idea, but at least they should be able to figure out the basic functions and avoid violating it without even knowing why. Great features too numerous to describe here. Wish it was wrist-mounted with a wireless air integration, but maybe the next model.

OK... $64,000 question - where is the software? Box did not include any software at all. Anyone know what I am supposed to do about that. Atomic's web site shows no downloads for software or drivers or anything. Am I supposed to use it with a 3rd party application? How do I upload the software updates when they come out? What am I missing?

So... I am one of the luckiest guys around. I won my Cobalt in my local dive shop's raffle (Thanks Academy of Scuba and AZ Divers!!). Picked it up Friday afternoon. As discussed, it is spectacular and intuitive to use. My fiance, who is in between her OW pool sessions and her OW cert dives, figured it out in about a minute without the instructions. She's going to use it when we dive together and I'll use my VT3 - better that she have a unit she can use easily. Going to be great for those folk who buy a new computer along with their OW course and take it on their dive vacation without bothering to figure out how to use it. It's still not a good idea, but at least they should be able to figure out the basic functions and avoid violating it without even knowing why. Great features too numerous to describe here. Wish it was wrist-mounted with a wireless air integration, but maybe the next model.

OK... $64,000 question - where is the software? Box did not include any software at all. Anyone know what I am supposed to do about that. Atomic's web site shows no downloads for software or drivers or anything. Am I supposed to use it with a 3rd party application? How do I upload the software updates when they come out? What am I missing?

The computer is already loaded with it's required software. It's supposed to have upgrade capability, but I have no details on that, which isn't surprising as it's a brand new unit and a little early to be worrying about software upgrades just yet. You can probably contact your local Atomic dealer or reach out to Darcy, the SB Atomic rep.

Is it conservative or liberal. Compares to which other computer profiles?

earlier the Atomic rep that was on here said it was mid pack on the conservative vs liberal scale. The Cobalt itself has 3 user-selected settings to choose if you want to be on the conservative or liberal end of the Cobalt's 'scale'...additionally the computer has a place where you enter your birthday (and hence, your age) and somehow the computer will somehow adjust the degree of 'aggressiveness' based on that input as well. You can 'lie' to the computer and give it a bogus age, I suppose, (by saying you are younger than you really are) to make it more aggressive if you want. I have no idea what formula the computer uses to penalize you for being older.

Is it conservative or liberal. Compares to which other computer profiles?

The algo is described as "recreational RGBM". I doubt it will be a fully iterative dual phase model, as "recreational RGBM" is usually code for a single phase model that has been beaten until it behaves in a similar manor to the dual phase model. Such models in the past were fine for NDL dives but didn't scale well when used for decompression dives.

Whether its dual phase, or a hacked single phase model, I'd imagine it will still behave the way BRW thinks an algo should. That is, the more dives you do per day, the more days you dive without a break, the more conservative it will become. Other things that RGBM doesn't like that will cause a more conservative response are reverse profiles, saw tooth profiles, fast ascents, etc.

We have the Cobalts in stock as well. Anyone who wants to play with one feel free to stop by Pura Vida.

Back
Top Bottom