Relatively Inexpensive solution for cold dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ekthor

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, I am a newly certified diver and am in need of some good old SCUBAboard advice. Right now, I'm living in South Korea. Here I got my certification and have done a couple of salt water dives in temperatures around the mid 40s low 50s. For these dives I have only used a 5mm Henderson Thermoprene, some pinnacle 5mm boots, akona 5mm gloves and a 3/2mm hood. In August, I will be moving back to the US (Kentucky to be exact) and am expecting to do a couple of dives in the fall over there. I am trying to find suitable and not bank breaking solution for the possibly lower temperatures I will be diving in. I know most people will recommend a Dry Suit but one, I don't think I'll dive in water cold enough where I would need a drysuit (most people use drysuit at 50 degrees, I was hot using a 5mm wetsuit). I was thinking about selling my wetsuit and buying a Henderson Thermoprene semi dry but then I would be way to hot to dive in after fall and winter. I was also thinking of keeping my 5mm and buying the semi dry but with a baby on the way, my wife will probably kill me. My last option and the one 'm leaning towards right now is buying a 3mm shortie or one of those core warmer with a hood and wear that under the 5mm. Can you awesome people from SCUBA board give me your input on these "options". Also, please don't try and push the whole diving dry thing, for some reason I have a high tolerance to cold and can't justify spending that much money after just spending 2 grand in gear and classes. Thanks in advance for the replies.

Last edited:
I spent 15 years diving the Great Lakes in a plush lined 7mm Farmer John and a 7mm Shortie Jacket over that. Suit was a custom, and fit perfectly, so no exchange of water. 1-2 dives was not a problem, even with temps below the thermocline being 39 degrees. Hands and feet got the worst of it, and there are better gloves and options for the feet now. The biggest issue is the SI if the weather isn't friendly, or that second or third dive....

Heck, there is a few folks up here that do ice diving in wet suits....

You can do it, just know your limits....

Diving already in mid 40's to low 50's -- how much colder do you expect it to be in Kentucky? Not sure you need to change anything. Personally I would freeze in what is keeping you warm, but whatever works for you is what you need.

Don't buy anything else until you see if you need something different. Don't fix what ain't broke.

I spent 15 years diving the Great Lakes in a plush lined 7mm Farmer John and a 7mm Shortie Jacket over that. Suit was a custom, and fit perfectly, so no exchange of water. 1-2 dives was not a problem, even with temps below the thermocline being 39 degrees. Hands and feet got the worst of it, and there are better gloves and options for the feet now. The biggest issue is the SI if the weather isn't friendly, or that second or third dive....

Heck, there is a few folks up here that do ice diving in wet suits....

You can do it, just know your limits

Thanks for the reply, how much of a hit does mobility take using 14mm of neoprene?

Diving already in mid 40's to low 50's -- how much colder do you expect it to be in Kentucky? Not sure you need to change anything. Personally I would freeze in what is keeping you warm, but whatever works for you is what you need.

Don't buy anything else until you see if you need something different. Don't fix what ain't broke.

Awesome advice that I totally agree with; however, I'm still in need of a 3mm for when I go back home on vacation (Puerto Rico) and seeing I'll end up buying one anyway might as well trow it in the mix. As of how cold do I think Kentucky will get, honestly I have no clue :rofl3: this will be my first time there. As per your advice, do you recommend just going with what I got and then if it's bad on the first dive, rent a core warmer for the rest of the time and then think of an actual purchase?

thanks for the replies

Never tried it (as I went to dry just after learning this trick) but pour warm water in your wetsuit before diving and during the SI. Carry a thermos or two. One for down the suit, the other for down the mouth. Warms you up both inside and out.

I like the layered approach. If it is stretchy enough you can put a 3mm shorty under the current suit.

Instantheat

These make 40's in a 5mm almost comfortable for about 30 minutes. They will burn the skin so use a pouch.

You could also consider what we call a chicken vest. Its a vest with a built in hood.
It will add a layer on your core for cold dives. The built in hood prevent getting cold water down your back. No sleeves, so you mobility is not affected, but you might need to add 1-2 lbs lead.
You can wear it when conditions warrant it under your existing suit. They roll up small and pack well.

Instantheat

These make 40's in a 5mm almost comfortable for about 30 minutes. They will burn the skin so use a pouch.

That's were I was going to go. If you can get your hands on some sodium acetate heat packs they can be huge aid when pushing the envelope diving wet. Odds and ends are on Ebay too.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom