Reimburse Good Samaritans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread surprises me.. I'm not sure if it's a location thing but I don't think that myself nor any of my general diving companions would consider consider it a financial burden if having to use consumable products in a situation where they are required.

Knowing you helped prevent a loss of life or you helped make an effort to save a life but failed, to me is enough compensation.

If you didn't help because of cost and that person/people died how could you sit back that night before bed without thinking that you just put a price on someones life and that price was the cost of a few pads or some o2.

"Why should they? I don't think anyone was forced to offer their assistance at the beginning of this thing. They were helping in a situation that is of their expertise."[/I]
It is my understanding that these gentlemen were ASKED to search for a body. There was never any hope of a rescue, so this was NOT an emergency where not rendering aid would endanger anyone.

Good Samaritans? These were GREAT Samaritans, and I think that not reimbursing them for searching makes patsies out of them and will have a chilling effect on subsequent searchers.

The link you ask for won't tell you about the gas fills. A set of doubles ( 95s and up ) with trimix fills are over 100 bucks. We filled 13 sets for the last dive. Had 16 of us total. Each one of us carried 2 primary gas, one stage and one deco bottle. The prices add up quick.
Kevin, This is why I stated on my last post that I had not and still have not read the thread you are referring to... (post the link please) With the amounts you are stating, these are numbers I am not familiar with in terms of diving unless it includes several days on a live aboard.

Maybe if I knew the whole story I would change my mind as I do believe in the good Samaritan act... but I carry DAN insurance just in case I ever run into trouble and needed medical attention above and beyond what is available but... I doubt I would help anybody much with their medical bills due to a diving mishap! Of course, this is subject to change at any moment due to so many variables!!!

Eric, I am over 50 and I doubt I have seen more than two or three engine fires in my entire life but maybe I have been lucky... If I was to run into as many fires as yourself I think I would just carry a few buckets of baking soda... :wink:

lee

Kevin, I now believe I know which incident you are referring to and if that is the case, I need to but out of this thread because that is an entirely different set of circumstances!!! I truly would not know how to handle this scenario!!!

Best to you and your compadres... lee
The link you ask for won't tell you about the gas fills. A set of doubles ( 95s and up ) with trimix fills are over 100 bucks. We filled 13 sets for the last dive. Had 16 of us total. Each one of us carried 2 primary gas, one stage and one deco bottle. The prices add up quick.

Originally Posted by lsorenson View Post
Kevin, This is why I stated on my last post that I had not and still have not read the thread you are referring to... (post the link please) With the amounts you are stating, these are numbers I am not familiar with in terms of diving unless it includes several days on a live aboard.

Maybe if I knew the whole story I would change my mind as I do believe in the good Samaritan act... but I carry DAN insurance just in case I ever run into trouble and needed medical attention above and beyond what is available but... I doubt I would help anybody much with their medical bills due to a diving mishap! Of course, this is subject to change at any moment due to so many variables!!!

Eric, I am over 50 and I doubt I have seen more than two or three engine fires in my entire life but maybe I have been lucky... If I was to run into as many fires as yourself I think I would just carry a few buckets of baking soda...

lee

In my line of work, I have had countless opportunities to save people's lives. Unfortunately, not all cases have the same outcome.

Albeit at no cost to me (I'm speaking of monetary losses, not emotional), the best "repayments" were received in the following forms:

1. We were called to a young female who had cardiac arrested. Fortunately, we were able to revive her. For the first time ever, I spoke to one of my arrest "saves". She thanked me over the phone from her hospital bed. This was one week before Christmas. Best Christmas present I've ever, and will ever receive.

2. My partner and I "got back" an elderly gentlemen after he arrested. We literally dumped our entire drug bag into this guy. A few weeks later we received a plate of homemade cookies with a note from the gentleman's wife. The note, in part thanked us for saving her husband of 50 some odd years. They were the sweetest, best tasting cookies I've ever had.

My point is that, I believe the value of how I felt when talking to the young female, or dipping the cookies in a tall glass of milk, far outweighed whatever costs I might have incurred. For me, saving a life comes from my heart. The giving of my heart does not come at a price to you.

This is a most fascinating thread. I have no answers, but do have a few observations:

1. In Rescue Class, we learned about dumping one's gear in order to tow a distressed diver to shore. I know that a BCD can be inflated so it won't sink and that the rig might be located later. But, it might not. Or someone else might recover and take it. Sure, someone's life is worth more than an entire rig. But, is it right to expect someone to give up (potentially) their entire diving kit like this? (I have no good answer beyond to say that for a buddy I'd surely take that risk.)

2. Many of you on SB know that by profession, I'm a lawyer. I get paid to get people out of trouble, often very serious trouble. At what point should someone like me volunteer to get someone out of trouble? (I have no good answer here... I know for sure that I would not charge a friend / diver / sailor full pop.)

These are just some interesting thoughts. There are no good answers.

Kevin, I now believe I know which incident you are referring to and if that is the case, I need to but out of this thread because that is an entirely different set of circumstances!!! I
A man of honor! Thanks for seeing the differences.

A different set of ethics and procedures applies for a recovery as opposed to a rescue. To ask individuals to attempt a recovery and NOT cover their expenses is simply not ethical. Your pain and suffering does not give you a right to bilk others of money in a futile attempt to resolve your heartache. That it was couched as a rescue is unfortunate: it was not.

Unfortunately, this kind of event will have a chilling effect on rescue efforts, especially those that entail deep and long retrievals.

Back
Top Bottom