regulator suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seeboth

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i want a light weight and inexpesive regulator/octo combo that is relativly sturdy and i dont have to woory about it, im not to picky, but i was looking at the sherwood magnum and sherwood shadow+ for the alternate. this i smy first regulator does any one have any opinions on this set up i dont really want a regular alternate, i perfer the "air2" style alternates, thanks for the opinions

Scubapro Mk2 or Aqualung Titan are excellent regulators for those divers that are watching their $'s. Don't do the "Air2" as your backup ..... purchase a regular oct and it will not only be cheaper put you will have a lot less problems with it. Stay away from Dacor/mares since they have of record on not supporting their warranties ( www.scubaboard.com/t70450-.html and www.scubaboard.com/t70854-.html )

The Sherwood is a good reg. My personal choice is the Zeagle DSV/ZX since the water here tends to be on the cold side. The ZX has a heat sync in it and the DSV is environmentally sealed.

The Sherwood has a different way of dealing with icing, but it works fine in cold water too. I know several people who use it. One thing you should be aware of, if your dive buddy comes up and indicates there are bubbles coming from the first stage. It's ok, it's supposed to do that. That is their way of dealing with cold water. Slow steady stream of tiny bubbles.

I know alot of people who are happy witht he magnum. It is a great regulator if you are not diving super cold water, that is less than 40 F. The dry bleed will keep it clean and working well. I would stay away from the Shadow. It breathes horribly and is very difficult to get used to especially if it is your first setup. The magnum style octo is a better choice in my opinion. The magnum even breathes a little better than the blizzard because the moisture fins dont interfere. Another good thing about sherwood is that if you are part of the growing number of divers who do not keep the warranty, the sherwood parts are dirt cheap anyhow. You will like this reg, but may grow out of it if you start going deeper than 120ft. frequently. Hope this helps.

I pruchased a DACOR Sea Sport reg which I like. You may want to look into it...

Back
Top Bottom