Regulator Setup For Air Integration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok...so after a ton or research and great input from everyone here, I've decided that I don't need to go with the Scubapro set. For a vacation diver such as myself, who only dives ~ 10 times every 6 months or so, I feel that the Deep 6 Signature Recreational Single Tank Package or the DGX Extra Streamlined OW Reg Package will suffice. Things to note:
1. I'll keep a spare repair kit with me when traveling.
2. I have access to a free backup regulator set at most places I dive.
3. I'll just send the regulator in for repair every 2 years.

So, now it comes down to deciding between the Deep 6 Signature or DGX Extra. WHICH ONE SHOULD I CHOOSE???!!! What makes one better than the other?

I do like that Deep 6 offers a free first service. That basically balances out the cost difference between the two.

HELP ME CHOOSE???!!!
I would base the quality of reg on the number of times I’m going to use it. I want reliable air whether I dive 100 or 1 dive a year.

That’s why I went for Sherwood, the make used on Antarctic expeditions as its environmentally sealed and air balanced.

Quality???? They are all made on the same factory line in China. Hog, Deep 6, Dive Rite are all CE certified Cold water, sealed and Balanced. Oh yeah, and they are all based on the Apex design..

Any Reg, from Any Brand can and will ultimately fail. Until you start dipping below maybe 250 feet, no one can tell the micron difference in flow.

Ok...so after a ton or research and great input from everyone here, I've decided that I don't need to go with the Scubapro set. For a vacation diver such as myself, who only dives ~ 10 times every 6 months or so, I feel that the Deep 6 Signature Recreational Single Tank Package or the DGX Extra Streamlined OW Reg Package will suffice. Things to note:

So, now it comes down to deciding between the Deep 6 Signature or DGX Extra. WHICH ONE SHOULD I CHOOSE???!!! What makes one better than the other?

I do like that Deep 6 offers a free first service. That basically balances out the cost difference between the two.

HELP ME CHOOSE???!!!
As the guy who wrote the DEEP 6 and DGX service manuals, for what you want to do, you really are ok with either one. The primary differences are that the Deep 6 is a diaphragm reg and the DGX is a piston. Both breathe well. The average diver would not be able to tell them apart at recreational and most technical depths.
The only issue with them is that I don't know if a shop would be willing to service either one if they weren't a dealer.
DGX has one dealer. DGX. Deep 6 has a number of affiliates. I teach the Deep 6 service class.
Both make parts available to end users and the service manuals are online and accessible. I do not recommend trying to service them without training. There are important items with each that you could easily screw up.
Torque specs are critical items of importance. The DGX DIN connection is a little different in terms of servicing and also requires close attention.
If the 1st service is a need you have and don't want to do it yourself, go with the Deep 6. If it's not that critical (recommended service is every 2 years with an annual inspection just to check it) either is fine. I have though in my experience, depending on the number of dives, found that the 2nds will require rebuilding when the 1sts do not. This is just due to the seat material in the 2nd stages.
I have 2 of each and use them interchangeably for classes and pool work.
As a HOG dealer my main regs and deco regs are HOG D3 and D2's with Classic 2nds.
I also teach the HOG service class and wrote the service procedures for some of the HOG regs.

It really would be interesting to see the number of incidents requiring servicing regulators while on trips. I've been a diver for 30+ years, and can think of only 1 situation where I had a regulator problem. Paying attention to your gear with basic care and simple diagnosis mitigates the odds of occurrence significantly.
What depths have you used your regulator, and what brand?

HELP ME CHOOSE???!!!
Test your regulators with an Intermediate Pressure gauge.

As the guy who wrote the DEEP 6 and DGX service manuals, for what you want to do, you really are ok with either one. The primary differences are that the Deep 6 is a diaphragm reg and the DGX is a piston. Both breathe well. The average diver would not be able to tell them apart at recreational and most technical depths.
The only issue with them is that I don't know if a shop would be willing to service either one if they weren't a dealer.
DGX has one dealer. DGX. Deep 6 has a number of affiliates. I teach the Deep 6 service class.
Both make parts available to end users and the service manuals are online and accessible. I do not recommend trying to service them without training. There are important items with each that you could easily screw up.
Torque specs are critical items of importance. The DGX DIN connection is a little different in terms of servicing and also requires close attention.
If the 1st service is a need you have and don't want to do it yourself, go with the Deep 6. If it's not that critical (recommended service is every 2 years with an annual inspection just to check it) either is fine. I have though in my experience, depending on the number of dives, found that the 2nds will require rebuilding when the 1sts do not. This is just due to the seat material in the 2nd stages.
I have 2 of each and use them interchangeably for classes and pool work.
As a HOG dealer my main regs and deco regs are HOG D3 and D2's with Classic 2nds.
I also teach the HOG service class and wrote the service procedures for some of the HOG regs.
Thanks for the info on second stages. I have been reading these forums for years.

Quality???? They are all made on the same factory line in China. Hog, Deep 6, Dive Rite are all CE certified Cold water, sealed and Balanced. Oh yeah, and they are all based on the Apex design..
I believe Deep 6 is made in FREE China(Republic of China or Taiwan, not the peasant one).

HELP ME CHOOSE???!!!
My opinion:
Deep 6.
I would imagine there are some dealers in USA.
DGX would well be the only place that offer DGX brand. But I could be wrong here.

Travelling with spare service kit is something that I have been doing for many yrs. It is not fragile and weight nothing.

Back
Top Bottom