Regulator servicing... everyone that's not a tech, vote...

If you work on your own regs and are not a tech, would you take the courses?

• Yes, I would love to... a good diver learns as much as he/she can and doesn't put their safety in ot

Votes: 98 81.7%
  • No, i know enough and have sources for parts

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • No, who needs it? Safety Smaftey (this is what the people that select the option below think we are

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I'm one of the "let the techs do it" so i shouldn't be voting anyway

Votes: 16 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jamiei

Reaction score
This is for every one here that constantly throws up the "let a CERTIFIED TECH handle your regs" comment. The question is, how many of you that are or would like to service your own regulators would be more than happy to take the classes and become a mystical "certified technician" if the opportunity would only be made available. Even full well knowing that you will have to pay for it. Lets see the results and then maybe you'll stop using that lame excuse. I'm sick and tired of hearing about it. We are not the people you need to tell it to. Tell it to the people that it applies to... not us, not the ones that know all the risks and are telling you that this is precisely why we want to do our own work... it is our lives and our risks... Not yours

1. IF its reasonably-priced.
2. IF it comes with the schematics and procedures (e.g. torque specs) for the units involved.

and finally...

3. IF it gets me "blessing" to buy the parts from the manufacturer or distribution network (that is, no more obstructionism.)

If its the same class that the "techs" take, then I want the same certification they get as well. After all, I'm paying for the same thing they are, right?

(The course is not hypothetical, of course. The problem is admission, and that it DOESN'T get you the parts access.)

It would be great if you could get a Regulator/eqipment repair 'C' card and get endorcments for the different brands. you would give your card number to get parts, just like showing your 'C' card to get air.........yea right , like that will ever happen.....sigh....:bonk:

I like dan's idea, as long as you have some training, I don't see why we shouldn't be able to get parts.
:hmmm:

The manufacturers want it this way. They want to force our dependency on their retail distributer, your LDS. Controlling our access to service infornmation and parts allows them to do that. And that helps keep many small and powerless LDSs in business. Without them, the manufacturer would be forced to make changes to their business model that would probably not be to their advantage. If a manufacturer would come out with a reasonably good quality kit, and provide ready access to parts and service information, I'd dump my SP kits on ebay and make the conversion. Until one of them breaks the chain, I wouldn't expect big changes.

Back
Top Bottom