regulator recovery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dartmouth,NS,Canada(Eastern Passage-Atlantic)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Here's a question I'll ask my instructor when the course begins-- Regarding regulator recovery: The standard method is to lower your right shoulder and extend right arm back alongside tank, bring arm forward and catch reg. at elbow. I have found this works most times. I tried something else--stick right arm out straight to the side, then ark it around toward your tank and catch the reg that way (instead of going "under" the reg. hose you bring your arm "over" it). This method works 100% of the time for me. Has anyone else heard of this or do it this way? (I know you can also tilt the tank and follow hose from 1st stage--nothing to do with that method)

What happens if you have a reg that floats just above shoulder height or gets trapped near the first stage?

Here's a question I'll ask my instructor when the course begins-- Regarding regulator recovery: The standard method is to lower your right shoulder and extend right arm back alongside tank, bring arm forward and catch reg. at elbow. I have found this works most times. I tried something else--stick right arm out straight to the side, then ark it around toward your tank and catch the reg that way (instead of going "under" the reg. hose you bring your arm "over" it). This method works 100% of the time for me. Has anyone else heard of this or do it this way? (I know you can also tilt the tank and follow hose from 1st stage--nothing to do with that method)

I guess the bottom of tank grab/first stage & follow hose down method. I have trouble with that due to a chronic bad right shoulder. In that case I guess I would have to grab my octo, breathe from that and ascend to try to retrieve the second stage.

If you really get tangled up and have to grap the AAS you can do what you were taught in OW class - remove your BC, reorganize your hoses and replace your BC. This might prevent the need to ascend / end the dive. Some suggest that a great buoyancy control exercise is to be able to remove the BC in mid-water while maintaining a position of depth to within a couple of feet.

Yeah, that's it. Great advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom