Regulator Placement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ekthor

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Is there any live threatening reason as to why the air valve on a tank always faces forward (The back of the diver's head). I recently bought an EDGE Epic cold water regulator and I would need to use a Din to Yoke adapter in order to use it locally. In my very personal, yet inexperienced opinion, I believe that having the air valve facing back while having an adapter will be a little bit more comfortable and would only require a longer hose in order to not put any strain on the second stage. Can someone explain this to me?

Life threatening? probably not. Assuming Yoke, the yoke knob is longer than the body of the 1st stage i.e it will hit you on the back of your head (depending on tank height) if your reg only has one hp port it, along with your regs, will now be on the opposite side. The angle of the hoses would be less than ideal which will also cause strain on the hoses. Even using a DIN adaptor I would imagine it will still be further from your head than the yoke knob swapped around. There may be a more technical reason but I'm sure others will chime in. Sounds a little like a questionable "solution" looking for a problem.

:facepalm: I am amazed at my amazing memory. You are obviously right buddhasummer it is closer to my head if I reverse , I actually measured it. Thank You!

Entanglement hazard would be a primary concern; It would make it easier to get caught up on line or kelp. It would also become even more of a problem in an overhead environment (wreck/cavern/cave) where you could damage the first stage if it were sticking out the back by banging into something accidently.

Honestly, I'd recommend keeping it the way 99.9% of divers use it. Don't try fixing a problem that already has a solution :)

Even though the Din to Yoke converter does make the first stage stick out a little more. you can always fix by adjusting height of tank or BCD.

Do you own/rent tanks? I'd recommend getting tanks with the DIN convertible valves so you can swap back/forth from Din to Yoke.
. 601_1.jpg

Entanglement hazard would be a primary concern; It would make it easier to get caught up on line or kelp. It would also become even more of a problem in an overhead environment (wreck/cavern/cave) where you could damage the first stage if it were sticking out the back by banging into something accidently.

Honestly, I'd recommend keeping it the way 99.9% of divers use it. Don't try fixing a problem that already has a solution :)

Even though the Din to Yoke converter does make the first stage stick out a little more. you can always fix by adjusting height of tank or BCD.

Do you own/rent tanks? I'd recommend getting tanks with the DIN convertible valves so you can swap back/forth from Din to Yoke.

Thanks you. I do not own tanks however when i do buy the in valve solution is a lot more practical. thanks for pointing that out

Thanks you. I do not own tanks however when i do buy the in valve solution is a lot more practical. thanks for pointing that out

These valves are very common now. I know a lot of dive shops are starting to put them on their rental tanks but when you buy tanks you can definitely get them with the convertible valves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom