Regulator Maintenance Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rampantmarine

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I took my new regs in for their first annual service before our local summer dive season gets underway. They are Sherwood SR1 with Genesis Octo combo and according to the Manufacturer the service interval is two years ( at least that is what they give free parts for. Nothing back in the way of parts, so I assume it was just an inspection plus it was really quick (two days). I knew some sand grains were in the second stage and Octo. Should these not have come back cleaned? I sent them in kinda dirty on purpose as I just learned how to get the covers off a few weeks prior.

The service order form has full service marked, but the spaced for IP and pressure readings for breathing were all empty.

For those who have more experience with this, what is customary to receive back with a service. do you get a report usually or not.

The regs have maybe a dozen pool sessions on them with a half dozen freshwater dives. I am just one of those really inquisitive folks who takes nothing at face value.

Thanks for your comments.

Some service techs give old parts back, some do not. As a service tech I typically do not, unless requested or a major part must be replaced (hose or such) to show the damage found. However before ANY part outside of the service kit, is replaced, I will call the owner for permission before replacing, unless they gave permission to change out any needed parts beforehand. I go through & change out all O-rings on hoses & gauges, check &/ or change batteries on computers, break down all stages, clean them & replace parts from the kits, then reassemble the regs, then test for proper IP & breatheability. I double check that all hoses are tight on both ends & that any (if there) hose protectors are put back into place. I then fill out a report on findings, service done & test results. My shop does not normally give the customer the report.... we will make a copy, if desired, but the report is for shop records. Am I perfect? No. Are there sometimes issues with my work? Yes. If so, I do my best to make things right, but like most here,... I am human. Though many may say it is too long,... I typically spend 2- 3 hrs per reg set & refuse to be rushed. I would rather take my time & have a better chance of getting it right than to be rushed & get sloppy.

I would not use a shop that did not provide me with a copy of the report, regardless of whether it was a rebuild or an inspection. A report with blank spaces for IP and cracking pressure is, as far as I'm concerned, evidence they failed to do their job -- hard to say whether the failure was in recording the data, or in even checking the data.

If it was a full service (or more to the point, they charged you for a full service) and they broke the reg down to replace parts in the 1st and 2nd stages, the everything should have been cleaned. If it was just an inspection and the sand wasn't anywhere harmful, then I can see it being left in there.

So: ask them exactly what they actually did; ask them whether they cleaned the regs; and, ask them what their records show the IP and cracking pressure are set to. If they don't have sensible answers for these questions, do a chargeback and find a new reg tech.

Old parts always go back in a clear bag marked "old parts". They paid for them when they bought the reg. They own them, I don't. A report on what was done, along with cracking pressures and IP on 500, 1500, & 3000 psi supply. I also take photos of unusual corrosion, foreign objects, damage or scratches from.when they were shipped or brought to me. I let the customer know I have them and will email the pics to them. One big reason I began servicing my own regs years ago was wanting to be sure of what was done.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

You got poor service, Either way full service or inspection that information should have been filled out and the second stages should have been cleaned. You should go back and scare the hell out of him and say your regulator free-flow and you almost died. By the way full service is both first and second stage unless noted on the repair form as separate items.

Lying is not going to help and you will likely just embarrass yourself. What were you charged? He may have realized that the "annual service" was not required and went with the recommended inspection. I would find out what was done and asked about IP and cracking pressure. But you will want to be able to understand the answers.

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge. Your answers are along the lines of what I suspected they would be. As for cost, it was $65 each, but I had received the promise of "free for life" when I purchased the gear, so on reminder it was honoured as free. I have a credit for the service & VIP of two tanks. I will use up the credit.

I am not going to yank their chain - he has been reasonably fair to me. But its a small dive community and you hear stuff.

What is that old saying - "you get what you pay for"

On follow up to the comments above - the service form is a two or three part carbonless form - I got the top and I saw he kept the second pages so I doubt he keeps a separate form for his own purposes.

As for cost, it was $65 each, but I had received the promise of "free for life" when I purchased the gear, so on reminder it was honoured as free. I have a credit for the service & VIP of two tanks. I will use up the credit.

Does this mean you paid $195, ($65 times three stages) got a regulator back with sand in the 2nd stage, reminded them that they had said you would get free service, when they 'remembered' that tiny detail, they offered you a store credit of 'service' on 2 tanks (whatever the hell that means) and visual for the same two tanks? But they kept your $195?

I must have something wrong.

Halocline,

I paid $130 total for both regulator sets getting serviced. I had two tanks undergo the annual Visual at the same time for which he was going to charge me $30 each (everywhere else locally they are $20) but he waived that fee (loyalty?). End of day he gave me store credit for what I paid when I picked up my gear.

The prices are not posted and they seem to vary and its a bit of a game. Not into pricing games except when buying cars.

Hope that clears the fog of confusion.

I got my answer on whether those boxes on the form should have been completed if I received a full service, as well as I would have expected the sand cleared.

Halocline,

I paid $130 total for both regulator sets getting serviced. I had two tanks undergo the annual Visual at the same time for which he was going to charge me $30 each (everywhere else locally they are $20) but he waived that fee (loyalty?). End of day he gave me store credit for what I paid when I picked up my gear.

The prices are not posted and they seem to vary and its a bit of a game. Not into pricing games except when buying cars.

Hope that clears the fog of confusion.

I got my answer on whether those boxes on the form should have been completed if I received a full service, as well as I would have expected the sand cleared.

$65 per would be a fairly low price for an "annual service" but a bit high for an inspection. Based on his price for a VIP, I suspect it was just an inspection. No reason to clean harmless contaminants during an inspection. But 1st and 2nd stage performance specs should have been tested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom