Regulator configuration for recreational diving

What is your regulator configuration for single tank recreational diving

• Short hose primary reg and longer hose backup reg, the usual "standard"

Votes: 42 27.5%
  • Short hose primary reg and combination inflator/reg backup (Air 2...)

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Long hose primary (40 inches, 5 foot, 7 foot...) and bungeed back up

Votes: 83 54.2%
  • Sidemount

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • One of the above plus a pony

Votes: 16 10.5%
  • Other, descibe in post

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Long hose primary with combination inflator/reg backup

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • Short hose primary with bungeed backup

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Double hose primary, with or without a backup

Votes: 7 4.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is one of the many reasons I post polls like this. Pretty soon, I will post the "typical" SB diver based on several polls I have posted over the last few years. I can assure you, it won't look like the average divers you see out there :).

I think it would be cool to see the results in general, and then broken up into groups by the listed number of dives.

The problem as I see it is, with all these configurations, what is the procedure for a half panicked out of air diver to do? If air is not where he is expecting it to be (through training) is that a problem? We are looking at this from the donor's point of view, and not that of the guy who desperately needs air in a hurry.

The problem as I see it is, with all these configurations, what is the procedure for a half panicked out of air diver to do? If air is not where he is expecting it to be (through training) is that a problem? We are looking at this from the donor's point of view, and not that of the guy who desperately needs air in a hurry.
Obviously, regulator configuration is one of the things you go over with a buddy, particularly a new one, before you hit the water

Thanks @Gareth and @KenGordon

The two of you should get together. This poll is, "What is your regulator configuration for single tank recreational diving?"

You can't cover everything. One of you should start a poll on configuration for technical diving. Not as easy to construct a good poll as one might think :)
What does single tank recreational diving mean? I take it to mean simple, straightforward dives that might be done with a single, not especially deep, no deco. You have a pony listed as an option so you don’t literally mean exactly one cylinder do you?

I am fairly sure more people dive CCR than single with longhose here. By the time people are into longhose they will be on a twinset. The same thought process that leads to a longhose or pony is likely to lead to a twinset which is much more effective. That is not ‘technical’ - no deco gases or trimix, mostly just twice as much gas. (or a third vs a 15 and a pony)

So I googled Bonaire CCR and now I am liking these guys even more Operation CCR at Buddy Dive - Buddy Dive Resort Bonaire no Air2s AND lime, O2 and 3l cylinders. Is Bonaire any good? Say compared to Cozumel?

IMHO, knowing about other configurations is one of the benefits of the discussion. Knowing there are different configurations should make you think about/discuss it with your dive buddy before you splash or at least look around the boat/current diving environment and develop your situational awareness. Otherwise we're mostly just bored sitting around typing on keyboards. :)

The 3rd rule of SB is always to look at an issue from the Hero’s point of view. Never consider a problem from the point of view of any imperfect diver. SB’s are never out of gas, only offering gas, their equipment choices, maintenance etc superior etc. No thinking “why did they think that was a good idea, might I make that mistake?”

Thanks @Gareth and @KenGordon

The two of you should get together. This poll is, "What is your regulator configuration for single tank recreational diving?"

You can't cover everything. One of you should start a poll on configuration for technical diving. Not as easy to construct a good poll as one might think :)

:surrender:

What is recreational diving?
My first 'recreational diving' qualification, was PADI OW. No-stop - 20m max depth.
My second 'recreational diving' qualification was BSAC Sports Diver. Decompression stop diving - 35m max depth.
My third 'recreational diving' qualification was BSAC Dive Leader. Decompression stop diving - 50m max depth.

You asked about recreational diving, on single cylinder, I answered. With a clarification of when, and how I use a single cylinder when diving. My single cylinder kit configuration, is conditioned by my diving history. :)

Last year all my diving was recreational (this year it looks like it will be armchair diving:(), on CCR:poke:.

We are looking at this from the donor's point of view, and not that of the guy who desperately needs air in a hurry.
The "guy who desperately needs air in a hurry" needs a quickly accessible regulator known to be working and supplying the appropriate gas, which is exactly the reason why primary donate is a thing.

This is one of the many reasons I post polls like this. Pretty soon, I will post the "typical" SB diver based on several polls I have posted over the last few years. I can assure you, it won't look like the average divers you see out there :).
I posted this Is this the average diver?

The "guy who desperately needs air in a hurry" needs a regulator known to be working and supplying the appropriate gas, which is exactly the reason primary donate is a thing.

ERRRR..... this is about single cylinder diving.

90% if not 99% of single cylinder kit configurations are single cylinder ,BCD, Standard regulator and octopus (on a slightly longer hose).
The are taught, in an OOG situation, go for the Octopus.

As I have said, I don't normally dive single cylinder. But the way I dive single cylinder is because I come at it from Twinset diving (as do most of those commenting here).

NOT "the way the world dives" (copyright PADI et al)!

If we are honest, most of those holding a diving qualification have never progressed beyond single cylinder, BCD, and the standard regulator configuration.

We (Scubaboard) are proportionally insignificant in comparison compared with the majority of those holding a diving qualification. That said, we are having fun :drunks:, so press on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom