Regulator configuration for rec diving

What is your regulator configuration for rec diving?

• Short hose primary with integrated second

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • 40 " primary with integated second

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • 5 or 7 foot primary with integrated second

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Short hose primary with 40" Octo

Votes: 26 16.4%
  • 40" primary with short hose bungeed second

Votes: 36 22.6%
  • 5 or 7 foot primary with short hose bungeed second

Votes: 68 42.8%
  • Other, explain in post

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • A version of sidemount

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • A version of double hose

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Y-valve?

I don't think I've ever seen one of those in the wild. Perhaps because twinsets - both small rec twinsets like D8.5x232 and large technical twinsets like D12x232 - are really common around here. If you want two posts, just get a twinset.

I have seen Y-Valve tanks often in dive centers here in Portugal. If you want to dive a twin set, you usually need to own it.

Double hose for all my diving. Locally only a pressure gauge, no octo, no BC inflator.
When traveling I will hook up an octo (on 40” hose) and inflator. Been 4 or 5 years since I last used a single hose.

I may need to try the 48” hose. I use a Litehawk BC and my 40” hose catches on the bottom of my right strap adjustment tab. Drives me nuts! Thanks for the idea.
Erik

I find my 1m / 40” hose catches on my right torch that is suspended from my right shoulder D-ring and kept in place against my shoulder strap most of the time by an EPDM snoopy loop.

Ten more centimeters would probably be juuuuust right.

I usually use a 5ft hose for single tank OW diving, routed in the typical long hose manner except no big loop for the canister light, it just goes under the right arm and across the chest, around the head. For me the 5ft hose is just about perfect length for OW diving. I just haven't done much OW diving in the last few years, I miss it.
I'm diving this week off Boynton Beach FL. I bought a 5' hose to try this, but it's too short. I've got a large chest and shoulders so I probably should have guessed the standard length wouldn't work. My previous 40" for underarm routing was a bit too short for my liking as well.

I'm just running the 5' under my arm this week and it's too long, but manageable. I have noticed that if it were a bit longer, I could run it under the shears sheath on my right side waist band.

Anyway, my quest for my perfect setup continues.

many of the above... (need to be able to check more than 1)

still haven't done sidemount yet though. maybe some day.

I'm diving this week off Boynton Beach FL. I bought a 5' hose to try this, but it's too short. I've got a large chest and shoulders so I probably should have guessed the standard length wouldn't work. My previous 40" for underarm routing was a bit too short for my liking as well.

I'm just running the 5' under my arm this week and it's too long, but manageable. I have noticed that if it were a bit longer, I could run it under the shears sheath on my right side waist band.

Anyway, my quest for my perfect setup continues.

You might try getting a cheap hose coupler and if you have access to various lengths of LP hoses, just start connecting them to experiment with size. I did that for a while. I have a friend who is a little bigger than I am who likes a 26" hose coupled to a 30" hose. Once you find the right length you can either order a custom length hose, I don't think they're too expensive, or just live dangerously (lol) by using the coupled hoses all the time. It is two additional o-rings of death. :D

I'm only 17 miles from DGX. I can stop in and pick up a hose. I just need to decide whether I want a 4' for underarm or want to try a 6' for around the back of the neck.

Are larger divers ok with the 7'? I'm asking because the 5' is way too short just coming under the arm and straight across the chest.

I think I'm going to take my regs and bp/w to DGX and try stuff out in person.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom