Regulator choice M1 or XTX200?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I own a dozen Atomics (including a couple M1's) and 3 XTX200's....both are excellent regs! I'd say it's really a matter of piston vs. diaphragm preferences (sealed vs unsealed 1st-stages) and hose routing options preferences, but performance wise both regulators are top-of-the-line.

DST is very annoying and I'm not even mentioning the additional failure point (coz I don't think it'll play a such relevant role in choosing , or don't, it), so no xtx50 DST for me, and between the M1 and the XTX200, I would go for the XTX200.

interesting, I don't dive nearly as much as most of you, perhaps 30 dive a year. decisions decisions...
DS4 + XTX40
The difference between 40 and 50 is the manual adjusting screw on the 2nd stage. You will need a 5mm allen key for the 40. BTW, 40 is also suitable for cold water diving.
DS4 has been around for ages, mine is over 20yrs. To be honest, I really can't tell the difference between 20, 40, 50 and 200 in term of breathing. But one thing I do know is the cost.

DST is very annoying and I'm not even mentioning the additional failure point

Can you expand on what is annoying and what is the "additional failure point" please?

FTR I dive Apeks mostly. Aside from the twisting barrel I'm also irked by the fact that they do not put any lube on the adjustment knobs and after a few dives they get very hard to turn. Now when I buy them the first thing I do out of the box before re tuning is lube the adjustment knob. It's not a big deal but this should not need to happen.

When I first looked at the DST's schematic diagram, I was really surprised to find out how simple it was. And I was quite worry in the beginning that the whole turret might get loosen eventually after servicing it myself. Fortunately, it never happens.
It is absolutely necessary to lube the adjusting screw and a good soaking after dive is imperative as well.

the first thing I do out of the box before re tuning is lube the adjustment knob

No issues with lube attracting sand and dirt causing issues later?

Can you expand on what is annoying and what is the "additional failure point" please?

It moves the hoses angulation when not under pressure, half of the time you forget to move them back in the position you want them to stay and then you have to dump the circuit and do it again.. yes it's annoying for me. :)
The additional failure point is about an additional "moving" part that could leak/fail/whatever ...is it ever happened? I have no idea, but it's the reason of why it's not DIR style (I don't care to be honest.. but they have a point).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom