Regulator choice M1 or XTX200?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My understanding is that the M1 and the XTX200 are both good regs, however i'm being told that deeper down the M1 breathes much better

They breath the same for all realistic practical purposes. They may feel different, but that is more of venturi effect setup. One may measure slightly better on a machine than the other. For cold, I think Apeks has inherent advantage because of the design. M1 tackle cold by packing ambient chamber with chrystolube. Down to low 40s, I don't think there is much different. I have used unpacked Atomic down to 42F. Do you plan to dive colder? If you dive in 30s, I would probably pick Apeks

I am with Tbone, for Apeks, I would take XTX50/DST. 2nd stage is exactly the same beside the blings, breath the same and cheaper.

I don't find the turret on DST gives better routing.
As far as I am concern, DS4 + XTX50(TX50 or ATX50) is as good as any Apeks in the market. But bear in mind that DS4 has only one HP port and some divers might find it insufficient.
for singles it doesn't matter, but for technical diving the swivel turret is rather important for air sharing. Much less likely to have the long hose kinked off *yes it happens, yes it happens frequently during training* if the port can swivel. The 5th port on the bottom also makes doubles hose routing much better. Some like it in sidemount, but to each their own.
Even for singles the bottom port allows better routing of longer hose setups.

@Maas the second stages are identical across the Apeks line for the XTX50/100/200, the only difference is the amount of plastic chrome on there. The first stages are all functionally identical and it comes down to port routing. The FSR with the XTX200 is IMO second best behind the DST *which you should get the 5th port upgrades for any technical diving* if you are down to those two brands. I think there are others worth looking at as well, but the DST/xtx50 would be my choice if you're going for true cold water diving

Did the OP ever mention tec dive?
However, I do not find DST offer any advantages whatsoever in tec or rec dive except as deco reg.
BTW, FST also offers 5th port as well.

Did the OP ever mention tec dive?
However, I do not find DST offer any advantages whatsoever in tec or rec dive except as deco reg.
BTW, FST also offers 5th port as well.

What advantage does the FSR offer over the DST, given the price difference of around $200 US?

What advantage does the FSR offer over the DST, given the price difference of around $200 US?
"Removable ARCAP valve seat" This from the APEX product brochure.
I have the FSR and the FST, and also have had the DST. They breath the same as far as I can tell, which is effortless in my opinion. For me, single tank non tech, the FSR mounted upside down is the best fit. I hated the swivel on the DST and there was no benefit for the type of diving I do.

I also tried out an M1 recently on a Roatan trip and I was not impressed, I think the APEX has it beat.

As already explained by EdC: ARCAP.
Is it worth it? Yes or No!
I have several Apeks regs, DS4, DST, FSR, US1 and US4 and one of them has rust developed on the valve seat!! Apeks has a special tool to polish it but it is NOT a long term solution. If that has happen on the FSR, all I have to do is to replace the seat.

Seems like opinions are back and forth between the two, I've been thinking of a 7 foot configuration, and the decision to go away from a comfort swivel was based on this. In terms of quality it seem as though both are top notch and apparently I can't go wrong. The thoughts on maintenance lean me towards the Atomic, not losing warranty for not doing overhauls every year seems interesting, I don't dive nearly as much as most of you, perhaps 30 dive a year. decisions decisions...

Seems like opinions are back and forth between the two, I've been thinking of a 7 foot configuration, and the decision to go away from a comfort swivel was based on this. In terms of quality it seem as though both are top notch and apparently I can't go wrong. The thoughts on maintenance lean me towards the Atomic, not losing warranty for not doing overhauls every year seems interesting, I don't dive nearly as much as most of you, perhaps 30 dive a year. decisions decisions...
Why the M1 as opposed to a B2? I pretty much only dive Atomic unless I drag out the Kraken, I’ve settled on Atomic for the simple reason that service kits are inexpensive and only one kit for any first or second stage. The design is simple, rugged and reliable, easy to tune. I always remove the comfort swivel and replace the hose with a bit shorter braided ones. I have the ST1, B2 and two Z2’s (one was a Z2X, which is now the Z3 but once the comfort swivel is off it’s a Z2) I have the packing tool so all of mine are sealed, the lube runs about $12 when you do it yourself, sealed not only improves cold function it protects the internals from abrasives like sand and salt, a quick rinse is all you need, like the Apeks. If I don’t mound it on a pony and toss it in the pool to soak the second stage I just do a quick dip rinse on the first and set it higher than the bucket and drop the second in the bucket to soak.

All new regulators are good, some are gooder

@lexvil on your argument for inexpensive and a single service kit for Atomic, Apeks has been doing that for longer than Atomic has been in existence.... Not discounting Atomic for doing it, just saying it's not exactly a selling point in favor of Atomic as compared to Apeks because it's the same situation. Vs. Scubapro, Poseidon, pretty much everyone else, yes, just not against Apeks

@lexvil on your argument for inexpensive and a single service kit for Atomic, Apeks has been doing that for longer than Atomic has been in existence.... Not discounting Atomic for doing it, just saying it's not exactly a selling point in favor of Atomic as compared to Apeks because it's the same situation. Vs. Scubapro, Poseidon, pretty much everyone else, yes, just not against Apeks
I guess it sounded like that’s what I meant when it was more of a thought directed toward other piston regulators, which I prefer. Apeks have a great reputation and fit into the “gooder” category.

Back
Top Bottom