regulator care

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClumsyCuttlefish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My regulator manuel (s well as I was taught during my OW course) tells me that I need to rinse my regulator while it is connected to the tank. When I did diving from the charter boat, everybody disconnected their regulators while on board and rinsed them separately. Could you, plese, tell me which way is correct?. I thought that if you rinse a regulator while it is not connected to your tank, there is a chance to let water into the first stage.
Thanks!

You should head over to the regulator forum and you'll find lots of info about this. You can rinse and soak your regulator off the tank as long as the dust cap is securely in place. Leaving it on the tank is also fine for rinsing. However, most regulators really should be soaked, not just rinsed, in clean fresh water after use in salt water. If you have a pony tank it's easy to soak the reg while pressurized, but if not just use the dust cap. Don't press the purge while soaking, otherwise water could start to make it up the hose into the first stage from the 2nd. Some 2nd stages have a seat saver, which could theoretically do the same thing, but as long as the 2nd stage is a soaked a bit deeper than the 1st, there's usually no problem. When you're done soaking, it's not a bad idea to put the reg on a tank and blow a little air through it, just to make sure there's no water where it shouldn't be.

When you disconnect your reg from the tank, it's common to see people blowing out the water from the dust cap with the tank valve. Unfortunately, lots of times I'll see people actually blowing tank air right at the 1st stage inlet, which just drives any water drops present right into the filter. The best thing to do is to splash a little fresh water on the reg where it meets the valve while it's still connected (a friend carries a squeeze bottle on the boat just for this purpose) then wipe it dry, remove the reg, then you can use either your own breath or a little tank air to dry out the inside of the dust cap.

Thank you, Mattboy!
I am new at the ScubaBoard, so I am still trying to figure out which forum is for which information. I will definitely look up the regulator one now. Thanks again!

Dust caps are for dust and soaking is for anal retentives.
Rinse your regs charged and if you cant figure out how to put a full sized tank upside down in a tub you shouldn't be diving.
Unless it is the first week of owning $7000 regs in which case you bathe them in Yak's milk rinse them in Evian dry them with a hair dryer spray them with naturaly scented silicone and keep them on the pillow next to you after sending your spouse on a trip.

I usually attach my regulator to a tank, jump in the water and rinse it for about an hour and then take it off and hang it up to dry.

Rinse your regs charged and if you cant figure out how to put a full sized tank upside down in a tub you shouldn't be diving.
Unless it is the first week of owning $7000 regs in which case you bathe them in Yak's milk rinse them in Evian dry them with a hair dryer spray them with naturaly scented silicone and keep them on the pillow next to you after sending your spouse on a trip.

A lot of times many hours elapse between diving and rinsing. These are the times I soak.

Or even when it is a brief trip in a 7000 degree home transportation device where you have to chisel apart your gear and hammer it into a tub for lots of soaking.
CHARGED.

This was a common question even by the equipment technicians and shop owners I'd teach regulator repair to when I was at Sherwood, so don't feel bad. The reg never really requires "soaking". A simple rinse with a hose or in a tub with clean, fresh water will suffice. Keep the dust cap in place to prevent water entering the first stage and if it's NOT connected to a cylinder and pressurized, never push the purge button as that will allow water past the 2nd stage up into your hose and 1st stage.

If your regulator is still damp from the days diving, the salt water or even dirty fresh water will rinse right off. If it's been a few days and the salt or crud is dried and encrusted it still won't take more than a few minutes at the most to disolve it. Think in terms of how long it takes to disolve a spoonful of salt in a glass of water.

After that, as with all of your equipment, let it dry out of direct sunlight and put it away till next time.

As someone who routinely sees abused regulators, as well as regs that are well cared for, I can say with authority that soaking the reg in fresh water, not just rinsing, after a salt water dive is much better for the reg. Unless, of course, you want dried salt corroding the ambient chamber and external threads on your reg.

It's certainly not a matter of "figuring out how to put a full size tank...." it's a matter of sharing the rinse tank with others on a boat, or possibly using a small tub or sink. Maybe someone who can't figure this out shouldn't be giving advice on regulator maintenance.:wink:

For clean fresh water dives, I don't do anything. Most of my local diving is in a spring, cleaner than my tap water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom