Regulator bungie for recreational diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think too much is made of creating a failure proof system in recreational scuba.

I see this as training the mind to see a failure as something catastrophic, to be avoided, instead of as a probable situation to be dealt with ie. "your gonna die". With all the focus on preventing the failure instead of being prepared to deal with one as a part of the normal course of diving. My focus in addressing this sort of risk is not to create one foolproof system but to accept that it may fail and to carry a second alternate system (or to be prepared to bail to the surface on shallow dives).

There are so many variables, mechanical, human, situational, to try to contain in rec scuba that maintaining a fail safe single system is problematic. This takes into account the trend for travel, rental gear, unknown sites and unknown partners. Or in my case, diving used, vintage, homemade equipment or solo. I'm not worried about swivels - I'm worried about my buddy not looking back at me once during the whole dive as we encounter unexpected current.

People and equipment fail. Prudent avoidance is desirable but accepting the potentiality and having a plan for it is part of risk mitigation. For me this means less focus on gear and more focus on remediation strategies. At every point in every dive we should be prepared to deal with a failure in a way that makes it an inconvenience and not a life and death disaster. That's what makes scuba a safe sport, not failure proof equipment.

I contend the failure point of concequence is between the ears. If it were all about failure points, we would be diving the rig I started with...backpack, tank, valve, and double hose. What I see as a failure point is having so much gear that you don't get around to maintaining it all properly. All my gear failures came back to maintainance, which is why I now do all my own work.

Bob
----------------------------------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

My concern with stuff failing is that it messes up my dive. I don't want to spend a bunch of $$ to fill tanks, drive to wherever, pay for a boat (or hotel, maybe both), just to sit out because something breaks, or have my dive get cut short because of some preventable nonsense. The 'yer gunna die' stuff is silly in most contexts, but 'yer gunna have a bad day' is a reality best avoided.

This is signature material here for DA! Lol.

I gotta agree with AJ too that swivels are bad. Having AJ and I agree on something was disconcerting at first, but then again, I've been patiently waiting for AJ to mature into an intelligent, articulate human being and now it's finally happening, so I'm just proud of him. Kinda makes me miss the good ole days though... :D

On the other hand it could be a Mayan end of the world harbinger of doom kind of thing too...

I think that the only good thing about an octopus necklace (bungie cord or pre-fabricated) on a short hose is that it's right by your mouth. That's it.
Also, it keeps the octo from dragging in the sand. You will know instantly if it's free flowing and it shouldn't come loose and swing around behind you like many octo holders allow. There is no downside to using a short necklass.

I did not dislike the long hose routing. In fact I did like that I could clip off the long hose
after I surfaced to keep it from getting away from me for the walk back to the car. And
the back-up reg was of course bungied so everything secured. And no doubt it provides plenty
of length to provide air to another diver. I did get tired of the extra length gearing up and
putting the reg away. I actually was relieved to go back to the conventional recreational set-up.
To bungie or not to bungie with standard hoses and recreational diving is the question. I decided
having a second stage bungied and always available was something that I wanted. A long hose was
something I did not want. I went with my breathing reg since the octo was already secured and
close by as well.

My concern with stuff failing is that it messes up my dive. I don't want to spend a bunch of $$ to fill tanks, drive to wherever, pay for a boat (or hotel, maybe both), just to sit out because something breaks, or have my dive get cut short because of some preventable nonsense. The 'yer gunna die' stuff is silly in most contexts, but 'yer gunna have a bad day' is a reality best avoided.

I can't disagree with that in a general sense. However, I find there are two (probably more) ways to approach diving. One is to seek the perfect equipment combination to avoid problems and the other is to learn how to contend with problems as a matter of course. The first sounds like common sense but to me it has the potential for leaving the skills side somewhat atrophied.

As far as failures ruining dives; most of the dive ending failures I've either experienced or seen personally have been forgetting a piece of equipment, not knowing or being able to effect repairs in the field, or dropping something breakable. I've seen very few pure equipment malfunctions.

That being said; if I were to encounter a catastrophic reg failure I could just surface, swap my reserve tank reg onto my back gas and continue diving, making allowances for no longer having the reserve tank. Someone who forgoes an alternate air source in favour of seeing their buddy as their reserve would not have that option. I always have two working reg sets when I go diving which means I have spare parts for any one failure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom