Regulator bungie for recreational diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Case in point of the whole being greater then the sum of it parts. The bungee octo is part of a dive system not an independent component.

EXACTLY!!!

And this diving system is also methodical in a particular way as well.

Slap on a neck bungie octo or using a 7-ft hose for the primary second stage isn't going to make a person a better diver or a DIR diver. I can rig my gear to make the GUE boys weep with happy tears, but it doesn't make me a GUE/DIR diver unless I get the training to do so.

There is nothing redundant about adding an extra fitting to your gear. I've got a decent handle on redundant systems in diving.

I'm not referring to the elbow but rather the octo bungee. You do not increase failure rates by adding a 2nd octo.

EXACTLY!!!

Slap on a neck bungie octo or using a 7-ft hose for the primary second stage isn't going to make a person a better diver or a DIR diver. I can rig my gear to make the GUE boys weep with happy tears, but it doesn't make me a GUE/DIR diver unless I get the training to do so.

Yes, that I agree with however, I disagree with the earlier statement that the only adv a bungee octo only advantage is it's length.

As for elbow failures, I experienced it first hand. The first time I used an elbow the seat failed. Initially there was a slight trickle of bubbles but as the dive went on, the trickle become more like a constant stream. I was lucky that I was able to replace the elbow on the next dive cus when I brought it back to service, the elbow made a loud hissing noise when hooked up.

I'm not referring to the elbow but rather the octo bungee. You do not increase failure rates by adding a 2nd octo.

Yes, that I agree with however, I disagree with the earlier statement that the only adv a bungee octo only advantage is it's length.

As for elbow failures, I experienced it first hand. The first time I used an elbow the seat failed. Initially there was a slight trickle of bubbles but as the dive went on, the trickle become more like a constant stream. I was lucky that I was able to replace the elbow on the next dive cus when I brought it back to service, the elbow made a loud hissing noise when hooked up.

Maybe I don't understand. When you say "adding a 2nd octo", do you mean a total of 3 second-stages on 1 first stage?

EXACTLY!!!

Don't let the gear fool you. I love solo diving too much to ever be considered DIR, but I've been using the Hogarthian system for over a dozen years because it makes sense.

Maybe I don't understand. When you say "adding a 2nd octo", do you mean a total of 3 second-stages on 1 first stage?

Adding a secondary reg... octo.

In this case I also mean an octo with exactly the same specs as the primary 2nd stage.

So was it the elbow or the O-ring?

Adding a secondary reg... octo.

In this case I also mean an octo with exactly the same specs as the primary 2nd stage.

But... it does increase the chance of failure... Because now you've got two things that can break/leak/come apart, etc. We went over this a few pages back with the coin flipping analogy. The trick is that the benefit is far outweighed by the disadvantages.

As far as swivels go, I've heard more than enough anecdotes to know that I don't want to deal with them. Same with miflex hoses and some other choice pieces of gear.

But... it does increase the chance of failure... Because now you've got two things that can break/leak/come apart, etc. We went over this a few pages back with the coin flipping analogy. The trick is that the benefit is far outweighed by the disadvantages.

As far as swivels go, I've heard more than enough anecdotes to know that I don't want to deal with them. Same with miflex hoses and some other choice pieces of gear.

I nearly fell off my chair when I read that!

Either you live in a very different universe then I do or else this is a very bad case of string theory gone badly wrong.

Assuming and I really mean assuming that a reg has a 50% failure rate, with one you have (50%) chance of it failing.

With 2 you decrease not increase the chance of failure. 1/2 x 1/2 = 1/4 (25%)

This is simple statistical calculations, how can 2 increase the likely hood of failures?

Do you dive a car with 4 wheels or 3?

There is nothing redundant about adding an extra fitting to your gear. I've got a decent handle on redundant systems in diving.

I'm not sure based on what you have been saying or something has been lost in translation...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom