Regulator Advice Please...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kemp

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,
I am new to the world of diving, just did my open cert. at the beginning of this year. Heading back to Cayman for a couple of weeks and do not want to use rental gear any more. My wife and I did get nice quality fins, mask and snorkel while in Cayman and they work great.

I will probably only be doing Cayman like diving for a while. (it was a great place to learn how to dive) There is so much info and different regulators out there I am a bit confused. The two shops I have gone to here in Houston only carry Aqua lung and no other selection to be educated on and do not want to jump out and buy ourselves the wrong regulators

I did about 10 days of two tank dives with the family after I got my open water. (The rest of my wife's family was already open watered and ready to go). I would like to know what is the best all around easy breather out there. I would like to stay under a 1000 bucks. But I do want a easy breather with a comfy mouth piece. I was the first to run out of air, it seemed each dive, and was buddy breathing at the safety stops. By the end of the ten days I was not having to buddy breath but was the lowest on air that is for sure. I really do not know if that is because I am a heavy breather or just felt that way because the regulator I was renting was not that smooth and felt I needed to breath heavier. So basically looking for advice on an easy breathing regulator to buy here in the next few weeks. Also is it better to buy in the states or would the shops in Cayman have a better deal as we are going back for another 2 weeks at the end of the year? Thanks in advance for all the advice you guys give. Looking forward to it.
Thanks,
Kemp

You will not go wrong with a reg like for example Aqualung Titan LX Aqualung is a recognized long existing brand, can be serviced almost anywhere and that would possibly all you would need.

Welcome to the board.
Pretty much any of the mid range regs will do nicely, don't get suckered into more money equals a better reg, it doesn't. Or that brand X is much better than brand Y, as long as they are any of the major brands there is little real difference between them as long as you stick with in the same class.

As to you being an air hog, it's pretty normal for a new diver to use a good bit more air than an experienced diver, that will come with practice and time.

I think you'll find things more expensive on Cayman due to the exchange rate. We didn't buy regs but in one of the dive stores I remember thinking prices seemed noticeably higher than at home. Although - at least in the U.S. - Aqualung sets the pricing.

Whatever you buy it would be good to find somewhere locally to service it. There are plenty of good repair places you can send it for routine maintenance but when something breaks a day before your trip, having a local shop convenient can be a good idea. Also any future configuration changes are easier to explain in person. Although it's pretty atypical, sometimes certain configurations have more optimal hose routing. Or will interfere with the wing etc.

If you want to purchase semi-local, Scubatoys in Dallas might be your best deal. Especially if you call them since they have to advertise some of their lines online at MSRP.

If you're not set on Aqualung, an Atomic B2 falls under your $1K window. Or a ScubaPro MK25/S600. Either are reliable mainstream brands and among the best in class for ease of breathing. With the swivel and comfo-bite mouthpiece, the B2 is also very comfortable in use. Not sure if you can get the matching Octo for under $1K total but close. And you don't need it - just buy the same brand so it's easier to find a tech to service it.

With regards to what herman posted, the Atomic Z2X is approx. $300 cheaper and will breathe exactly the same as the B2 - the difference in the Atomic line typically is the metal used for the reg body. And how many parts are Titanium.

Hello,
I am new to the world of diving, just did my open cert. at the beginning of this year. Heading back to Cayman for a couple of weeks and do not want to use rental gear any more. My wife and I did get nice quality fins, mask and snorkel while in Cayman and they work great.

I will probably only be doing Cayman like diving for a while. (it was a great place to learn how to dive) There is so much info and different regulators out there I am a bit confused. The two shops I have gone to here in Houston only carry Aqua lung and no other selection to be educated on and do not want to jump out and buy ourselves the wrong regulators

I did about 10 days of two tank dives with the family after I got my open water. (The rest of my wife's family was already open watered and ready to go). I would like to know what is the best all around easy breather out there. I would like to stay under a 1000 bucks. But I do want a easy breather with a comfy mouth piece. I was the first to run out of air, it seemed each dive, and was buddy breathing at the safety stops. By the end of the ten days I was not having to buddy breath but was the lowest on air that is for sure. I really do not know if that is because I am a heavy breather or just felt that way because the regulator I was renting was not that smooth and felt I needed to breath heavier. So basically looking for advice on an easy breathing regulator to buy here in the next few weeks. Also is it better to buy in the states or would the shops in Cayman have a better deal as we are going back for another 2 weeks at the end of the year? Thanks in advance for all the advice you guys give. Looking forward to it.
Thanks,
Kemp

Good news!

You will definitely be able get a fantastic reg for under $1000, no problem. In fact you could probably pick from 98% of the entire reg market. I dive the Atomic Aquatics B2 ($700'ish), which is their mid range model; excellent product in terms of performance, reliability, and comfort. I can personally vouch for the quality and support I have gotten from using Atomic's products, and don't think you can go wrong with any of their regs. Scubapro is another very well known high end manufacturer. Their top of the line regs would still be within your budget ($900 range), but they have plenty of others to choose from too. Anything Scubapro is going to be a very good performer. In my humble opinion Atomic and Scubapro are the two top brands in regs, but other people on the board may feel differently. Zeagle also make very good regs and other equipment.

You will likely get many opinions here on Scubaboard. I would try to shortlist a few models from the brands that appeal to you within your price range, then take a closer look at the details for features you value with a good warranty, service interval, and reputation for post-sales support. Your local dive shop (LDS) may even offer a demo program, but I think you'll be fine if you stick to your current price range. Personally, I look at this stuff as life support equipment, so get the best you can.

Your air consumption problems are pretty common amongst new divers, but that will improve with practice and more diving. The term "less is more" applies to many aspects of diving. If you are diving in warm tropical conditions, try going with a more minimal streamlined equipment profile and maybe ditch the wetsuit. Try not to use your hands and arms. Kick once and glide; and slow everything way way way down. The less you move and less you have to carry around, the more efficient you will breath, and the longer your dives will be.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Last edited:
After using many different brands over the last 8 years as a student, DM, Instructor, Technical Diver, and retailer I will stick with my HOG's.

Am I biased, yes. Freely admit it. But have had them under the ice, in warm water, saltwater, blackwater, and farm ponds. Great performers and for a thousand bucks I could sell someone two complete regs sets. A set being a first stage, 2 seconds, hoses, and SPG.

And easy to service.

The Scubapro MK25/S600 fits your needs. It sets the standard. You will love the way it breathes!

My rec regs are a crossbred Apeks 1st with a Zeagle 2nd. I have been using them for 12 years now and they breath great. The 2nd does get a little "wet" when inverted but not enough to make me stop that activity. My doubles regs are a set of Apeks TEK3's using the Apeks XTX50 2nd stage. Another real great set of easy breathing regs. I did not notice them breathing "wet" when I have used them. B.

Please buy something that I'm selling, it's the best! :wink:

Is that pretty much how these threads go? It's getting sad.

To the good advice that Herman gave, I would add that I would never in a million years spend $1K on a regulator. Guess that makes me a bad diver.

Back
Top Bottom