Regulator Advice Please...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really appreciate all the advice. I thank all of you for taking the time to respond. It looks like I do not have to spend a 1000 bucks to get a great regulator. Sounds like I can get a reg and octo for well under and still have a great breather that will last. Again thanks for all the advice.

I really appreciate all the advice. I thank all of you for taking the time to respond. It looks like I do not have to spend a 1000 bucks to get a great regulator. Sounds like I can get a reg and octo for well under and still have a great breather that will last. Again thanks for all the advice.

I spend quite a bit of time in the Caymans. The diving is very good but generally not very demanding. Price of gear and just about everything else is higher than in the US. You should be able to source a good breathing reg, octo, spg and a basic computer (Suunto Zoop, for example) for well under $1000 in the US.

Ok, so here's another question from another inexperienced diver just beginning to buy gear... How do "travel" regulators perform differently than other regulators? There's a difference in price, but what's the difference in performance?

Please buy something that I'm selling, it's the best! :wink:
Perhaps I sell it because ( IMO), it is the best.

The fact is many can not sell " the best "!

Why is my opinion of less value than yours?

( BTW,I do know an excellent instructor in San Antonio:D )

Smaller and lighter "travel" regulators save a few ounces over "regular" regulators but if they use smaller 2nd stages they cannot breathe as easily as a similar design normal size 2nd stage simply because of the reduced size of the inhalation diaphragm.
1st stages made of exotics like aluminium and titanium have their own drawbacks of corrosion and oxygen compatibility.

I think if you were to compare the weight savings of a Titan LX against something like the Apeks Flight it would only be 3 or 4 oz.

Smaller and lighter "travel" regulators save a few ounces over "regular" regulators but if they use smaller 2nd stages they cannot breathe as easily as a similar design normal size 2nd stage simply because of the reduced size of the inhalation diaphragm.
1st stages made of exotics like aluminium and titanium have their own drawbacks of corrosion and oxygen compatibility.

I think if you were to compare the weight savings of a Titan LX against something like the Apeks Flight it would only be 3 or 4 oz.

Thank you! I appreciate your answer. I figured that there would probably be some difference in how they breathed, due to travel regs being smaller, but I wanted to know if there was anything else about them that I should know.

Last edited:
Ok, so here's another question from another inexperienced diver just beginning to buy gear... How do "travel" regulators perform differently than other regulators? There's a difference in price, but what's the difference in performance?
Some travel regs. perform to the same high standard and are lighter. For example the Scubapro MK11 is lighter than the Scubapro MK17, it performs the same. The MK17 is better in very cold water, but most divers are travelling to warm water.

Titanium is lighter, less corrosive and performs the same, but is expensive. For the seasoned travelling rec. diver, diving w/ a nitrox mix of less than 40%, it may be worth the extra money in the long run.

And if you do decide on titanium you can get a new one for under 700 bucks. No need to drop a grand or more on one.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Please buy something that I'm selling, it's the best! :wink:

Is that pretty much how these threads go? It's getting sad.

I don't mind those posts much as long as the posters are honest about it. The affiliations of the two posters in this thread were quite obvious, so I don't see the harm. What annoys me is when dealers are sly about it, and/or they start bashing the competition.

Back
Top Bottom