regular BC's vs. winged BC's ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which is the Mares BC that has wings technology?

Hey Gaucho -

I don't know anything about the Mares wings bc - I would however recommend to you that you stick with the tech companies since they develop their bc's based on tech divers needs - where I personally feel that Mares probably put out a wings bc based on a market impulse - I feel that this product would very likely not be as well developed and tested as what you would see from Halcyon, Dive Rite, OMS or similar tech systems.

Dane

I agree with WetDam.
They are not really made for Tech Diving.
But what kind of tech diving...
You shoul ask this question to real tech divers.
I will ask friend of mine who is a cave and TRIMIX diver.
But they feel ok with all the good things about wings.

Actually the trend of the market is to put more volume in the Back beside the wing BC's have a great look.
They look attractive.

Thanks Dane & Sky. Isnt it fair to say that these Mares models are "hybrids" when compares to a pure wingged design that -say- Zeagle would have?

Forget about technical diving and the '25' cylinders they carry 350 feet down.

Just try a few wing or back bladder BC's such as mares scubapro, Zeagle, Dive Rite...

And think in terms of confort and pleasure to use such a jacket.

The trend of wing jackets or mainly back bladder BC's should not ( that is what i think ) always be related to pure tech divers.

For example : i love those jackets for under water photography jobs because plenty of D rings and no bulky pockets on the side, you feel free in the front.

Try to look at real tech BC on the internet they look very different than the mares wing BC's.

Fa:):):)

I would agree with you on that - that also means that they are not made to fill the function that they try to look like - for one thing - if you look at the Mares, you will notice that allthought it is a back inflate bc, it is not modular so you can remove pockets and put a canister light on, that's where the others come in as being very strong simply since you can have that bc setup just the way you want it.
Oh - and Zeagle has a very interesting pull cord system that wraps around your body (for dumping weights), this is very similar to what we use in parachutes for the rip cord - however, I have so far argues that when AIR is all there is to be in the way - this works well - now you put this in saltwater a number of times and then push on it with your tank - then tell me if you can successfully dumb those extra weights...
This means that the weight system is not modular and that also means that you are loosing some of what the techies are looking for...
In my book Zeagle does not qualify under the criteria "tech" - it is a winge based bc - but you can't remove the wings and that is a clear drawback - if I ever want to go to a back plate from my Dive Rite - I can take my Rec wings with me doing so... and it will still work for doubles...

Both Dive Rite and Halcyon use completely manual dumb systems - there is NO mechanicals to fail you...

Dane

Originally posted by WetDane

Oh - and Zeagle has a very interesting pull cord system that wraps around your body (for dumping weights), this is very similar to what we use in parachutes for the rip cord - however, I have so far argues that when AIR is all there is to be in the way - this works well - now you put this in saltwater a number of times and then push on it with your tank - then tell me if you can successfully dumb those extra weights...

Not quiet sure what you are saying here but I can assure Zeagle's Ripcord system works very well. When you pull the cord, they are gone nomatter where you are, on the shore, or at 120ft.

In my book Zeagle does not qualify under the criteria "tech" - it is a winge based bc - but you can't remove the wings and that is a clear drawback -

Sure you can. I can remove the wing from my Ranger in all of about 2 minutes. You can also upgrade it to wings with more lift if you want. now it may not work with any standard hard backplates, but one could surely be fabbed to fit it cause it is a stand alone wing and not made into the harness/BC.

Back
Top Bottom