Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a mares nikos with the mr12 first stage (awesome reg I dont care what anybody says) ... I wouldnt trade it for nothing... its duty station is on my pony system!

R190's are supposed to be rock solid as well..... good deco regs also!

=-)

I have a Genesis Valor that is as easy to breath as my old (finely tuned) Mk V/109. The 1st is a balanced piston that I can maintain myself. The 2nd is super light weight, very low profile, and never free-flows . . . just don't drop a tank on it (it's all plastic). I've taken both stages apart to check them out, but I haven't had to even replace an o-ring yet (about 100 dives over the past year and a half).

I've got an ancient Sherwood Magnum that's never given me a lick of trouble. I've got it set up as a single cylinder DIR reg that I loan out to folks who are interested in the system.

Of course, it aint DIR itself. :)

Roak

Scubapro G250--sweet and cheap. got mine at a super discount cause I dm for a shop and it was the older model without the techie looking graphite cover. Was also dusty. Got it for $10 off wholesale, which is about half retail. I'll drag it across the parking lot on the end of a 7' hose first chance I get, and it'll look great.

I tell ya, those regs are like old faithful... you can always count on them!

I have had my nikos down to 172' and it still flowed smooth (thick but smooth!

:wink:

The old SP MKV was just about bulletproof and they breathed about as well as anything today unless you go super deep. Any of those old metal regs would last just about forever, particularly if they were lightly greased and retrofitted with the latest high tech O rings.

One of the nostalgic features was simplicity. The modern SP's have a lot more parts. For example, the pressure reduction section of the earlier first stages had about 7 parts. Today's MK20 has 15. Don't even talk about the seconds. Much more complicated.

I've seen some pretty old MR 12's and Conshelf 14's in service, too. Excellent regs.

I guess I'm saying that an old high end reg is roughly equivalent to a new low ender.

I've got 2 Sporasub regulators, an Alto Plus and a Matrix and love their performance. These are basically stripped down (no plastic covering) Mares 1st stages (MR12 and V-16) matched up with adjustable 2nds. Both regulators breath great and stay dry at all positions. The best part is I only paid about a $100 each new.

It has over 400 logged dives on it and has never been disassembled. It works fine. I try to use it on my filthy working dives.

Back
Top Bottom