Regs to AVOID? (focus on more basic models)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got a Zeagle dealer to give me a discount by treating my Quantum as a trade-in. Maybe this is a national thing, maybe not. Dacor was bought out by Mares and I understand they're already phasing out some regs.

Al Mialkovsky:
With the hundred dollar coupon Aqua Lung has it made purchasing a Legend very easy and it is a very easy breathing reg.

From what I hear the Legends are built just like the Apeks regs (both Aqua Lung), I have the ATX200. Great breathers.

While doing research on Apeks I read a review (forget where)comparing a wide range of regs and the inexpensive Oceanic Alpha 7 suprising did quite well and was noted as a decent breather. Not sure about parts or reliability.

IrishAngel:
Avoid Dacor & Mares.. parts are a nightmare...

ScubaPro MK25/G250HP is a workhorse.. not their newest model.. works well in colder water..

Choose a brand where you have access to a local rep for service & repairs..

and, while I don't service it myself, my store sends all the regulators to get serviced to the same place down in N.C. they charge the same price regardless of the regulator plus parts. I've never gotten my reg back late and I've never been over-charged.

SueMermaid:
So....should I replace my Dacor Quantum then? I have always liked it, I tried a lot out, and I liked this one best so I bought it. What's the deal with parts? Is Dacor out of business now or something? You people are scaring me.

Yeah Sue, kind of old news. Dacor was purchased by the same company that owns Mares. That's why so many of the Dacor/Mares product line appear identical.

:blush: Guess I'm not really up on my news then.
Well, I guess next time it needs parts, I'll have a decision to make. Good thing I just replaced the guts of the 1st stage last year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom