People embarrassed to do pre dive buddy check?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On most recreational dives, I carry a camera. The first picture is always a selfie so I can find that dive easily on a grid layout in Lightroom. The selfie will show bubbles coming from behind me, if any.

1686947497641.png

1686947446573.png

There! That was easy!

On most recreational dives, I carry a camera. The first picture is always a selfie so I can find that dive easily on a grid layout in Lightroom. The selfie will show bubbles coming from behind me, if any.
Gonna start doing this

At the very least (especially with instabuddies) I want to know where their safe second/octopus is, where their weight drop system is, how much air is in both of our tanks, how they were trained in out of air situations. I'm an old geezer, trained with buddy breathing and a great instructor who showed us (land exercises) how easy it is to get panicked and just grab for the air. Over the years, different organizations have trained that the OOA diver takes your regulator and you get the octopus, or you give them the octopus. In a panic I just assume they will not come and signal and let me give them the octopus but will grab mine. A brief discussion of the dive goals (especially if both of us are carrying cameras - might as well be two solo divers then!). If they want more of a check, fine.

At the very least (especially with instabuddies) I want to know where their safe second/octopus is, where their weight drop system is, how much air is in both of our tanks, how they were trained in out of air situations. I'm an old geezer, trained with buddy breathing and a great instructor who showed us (land exercises) how easy it is to get panicked and just grab for the air. Over the years, different organizations have trained that the OOA diver takes your regulator and you get the octopus, or you give them the octopus. In a panic I just assume they will not come and signal and let me give them the octopus but will grab mine. A brief discussion of the dive goals (especially if both of us are carrying cameras - might as well be two solo divers then!). If they want more of a check, fine.
Basic hand signals, how cylinder pressure is communicated (oh God how I wish the recreational agencies would adopt the technical signals for numbers), turn pressure is what I'd add to it.

Basic hand signals, how cylinder pressure is communicated (oh God how I wish the recreational agencies would adopt the technical signals for numbers), turn pressure is what I'd add to it.
Yes. More standardization. Let's use the NACD's one-handed signals, secondary regs on a necklace, and primary donation.

Do your own checks if your buddy is non-compliant. If you're diving with rent-a-buddy, a redundant gas source becomes attractive. After many years of diving solo locally, I'm going overseas soon. I've decided to rent a pony cylinder. Not the norm by any means and while I'm not risk adverse, the thought of a breathing gas delivery failure and being reliant on someone I've just met to bail me out is not appealing.

You must dive in some unusual places. In my quarter century of diving all over the world, I do not believe I have seen a dive where almost no one does the safety stop. In fact, I have remarked recently about the dives I have seen in which people do safety stops where they are not remotely necessary.
Safety stop has good worldwide penitration because no conflicts with manufacturers and training agencies.
Checklists and pre-dive checks / instuction has conflicts with corporate interests and various agendas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom